MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Hankerdaddy
Found some matches.

Default New Branfels offset Smoker Restoration with Pics!

I wanted to thank everyone who has posted their previous experiences and tips restoring smokers on this site. I gained so much knowledge prior to going out and getting a smoker to restore on my own. In return I'm posting some pics of my New Braunfels offset smoker I just finished restoring. I stalked craigslist for a couple of months trying to get my hands on one of these. I was thoroughly surprised at how fast these things were getting snatched up on there. However with persistence I got lucky and scored a unit in pretty good shape for being about 8 years old. I picked it up for $60 dollars from a guy who had kept it covered most of the time and had only smoked on it three times. So here are some pics and descriptions of what I did.

Here are some before pics of the smoker.
Smoker Before 1(1).jpg

Outside Berfore.jpgFirebox Rust.jpgParts Pics.jpg

First Task was to get everything rust free or at least as much as i could. I used a drill and a couple different sizes of wire brush to get most of the rust off of the Barrel and Firebox. If I had an angle grinder I would of probably went with that. The sanding took about a day to get done. It was a lot more work than I thought. I used some naval jelly to get the last thin layer off. It worked fairly well, although I wouldn't say it was better than some elbow grease.

After I had everything cleaned up I used a sandpaper to roughen and smooth both the firebox and barrel before painting. Along with a good wash with the hose and dish soap to remove all the grit.
cleaned out Barrel.jpg

As soon as I received the smoker I removed all the hardware and carefully noted where everything went. I also removed the handles and made new ones out of dowel rod I picked up at home depot.
Handle Cutting.jpg

I painted it with two layers of rustoleum 1200* grill paint. The paint went on well, although it does have a tendency to show all hand prints and slightly comes off every time you touch it. I still need to fire it up and let the paint harden off. Anyways here is a pic of the finished product.

Fully Restored.jpg
Refurbished Inside.jpg

In the process I also sealed the gaps between the barrel and chimney with 2000* black fireplace mortar. I also used this to seal the firebox and barrel to each other. I realized there was a larger gap for air to get into even when the bolts were tightened. Seemed to work well, and will harden when i fire it up to form a complete seal.

You'll also notice a full board as the front table. I didn't like the cheap look of the three boards, so i picked up a cheap piece of wood and sanded it down to be more visual appealing. Added some red oak stain and sealed it up. Also did the same to the handles. I was pretty happy with look when it was finished. I have more pics and would be happy to answer any questions you may have!

Things still yet to be done:
I'm adding two more thermometer probes down towards the grate. Just ran out of light yesterday to put them in.

Also having a metal shop making my convection plate to the exact details of the one horizon smoker offers. I would have ordered it from them, but it's expensive to ship and fairly easy to show a metal shop a pic and have them make it. http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.co...sh--For/Detail

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sanding Pic.jpg (63.3 KB, 519 views)

Last edited by Hankerdaddy; 07-23-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Hankerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Fire_Mgmt
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks great! Good job on the restoration.

You should have a ton of fun learning and q'ing on that baby. I'm warning you though - it may spawn an obsession.
Fire_Mgmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Nice job. Now I want food.:D

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Done it right!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great job, I can't wait to see some food come off of that baby!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

What is the point of the convection?
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Hankerdaddy
Found some matches.

The Convection plate helps to keep steady temps throughout the cooking surface. From what i've read these types of offsets can throw a wide range of temps from one side to the other. The convection plate helps distribute heat to the side opposite of the firebox with a series of gradually bigger holes letting more smoke up to the food grate as it passes towards the chimney. The plate itself also retains heat helping to keep good temperatures in the food chamber.
Hankerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
FlashJim
On the road to being a farker

That's the kind of thing I like to see!

Great job!
FlashJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome I didnt know and btw the smoker looks great
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
slow-smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job on the restoration. Good as new, and with the plate, probably better.

-[B]Mike[/B]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]48" Klose Backyard Chef[/COLOR], Primo Oval XL[/SIZE]

Stealth-Grey Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
slow-smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
BigDaddyJT
Full Fledged Farker

Great job. You just gave that cooker new life. Now that it's all clean, you need to get it all smokey and greasy inside.

JT
BigDaddyJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

That was a labor of love for a classic smoker.
I still have my original NB Silver Smoker (now used as a charcoal grill) and the work you did is outstanding.
With all that sealing, you have a great cooker.
Enjoy.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job. I like the solid shelf. I need to finish my shelves on my Que Cart.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Please post some info on how the convection plate works for you.

David

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
bbob66
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Bobby

Nice job! I just joined and saw your post. I have the same smoker and needs the same work done, what grade of sand paper did you use?

Thanks I very inspired by your posting.
Robert
bbob66 is offline   Reply With Quote