What is APL talking about?!?!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

I was reading this Adam Perry Lang recipe (please excuse the fact that it's on a Rachel Ray website) when I got to this line:
And, if the crust is cooking too quickly, you can move the grilling surface farther from the fire (see the techniques described in High and Slow, page 58).

High and Slow? What's he talking about? I tried to find a book by that name or anything at all and nothing came up on Google. So naturally I came to the brethren's help.

Thanks
Sam

That would mean raising the grill higher, thus farther from the heat, thus slower.

The technique is explain in his new book Charred & Scruffed.

You can see it here:

[ame]http://youtu.be/6Knf4NVJjqc[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/BAl58EVZOq0[/ame]

That technique is very close to what I was taught for Santa Maria tri-tip, cooking over direct fire but, much higher than most folks think. It works great.

And who, other than me, would kill for one of those bones?

Really? Beating a rib roast with a baseball bat until it looks like it's been run over by a dump truck? No thanks.

And who, other than me, would kill for one of those bones?

Me! Me! I would... but I'm like Jimmy I don't want it cooked...

Thanks for the replies... I don't see how I can achieve this "high" thing on my 22.5" Weber grill This guy is cooking on some sort of monster grill.

Really? Beating a rib roast with a baseball bat until it looks like it's been run over by a dump truck? No thanks.

Actually, I'm kind of curous to try that now. I am wondering if that intense of a smac-down on a good piece of beef would cause some extra cellular/tissue break down thus making it more tender. Very interesting.

I've tried his recipes, eaten in his restaurant, and personally seen the trophies (like first place pork American Royal Invitational). If APL says beat the heII out a giant piece of beef before cooking, I say why not try it lol

Me! Me! I would... but I'm like Jimmy I don't want it cooked...

Thanks for the replies... I don't see how I can achieve this "high" thing on my 22.5" Weber grill This guy is cooking on some sort of monster grill.

Nothing you can't make, using a second grate, maybe from a Smokey Joe, some threaded rods and a few big washers and nuts. I see it as totally doable.

High is and slow is also a technique for poozling a poozle.

Nothing you can't make, using a second grate, maybe from a Smokey Joe, some threaded rods and a few big washers and nuts. I see it as totally doable.

6 bricks (3 per side) and an extra grate and you're running' "high" on a Weber kettle - APL rocks!

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid....Tech rocks when it works!

I'm reading his book now.

I must say, I like some of his ideas, but I'm not sold on all of them.

The herb brush -- I don't know where he gets his herbs, but that brush would easily cost me $10-$15.

I'm not spending an extra $10-15 every time I grill.

In fact, spending the $10-15 on prime vs choice is going to add far more flavor than some herb brush.

I do like his board dressing and salts.
I think his "clenched" bit is far more trouble than it is worth.

The herb brush -- I don't know where he gets his herbs, but that brush would easily cost me $10-$15.

In fact, spending the $10-15 on prime vs choice is going to add far more flavor than some herb brush.

You could try growing your own herbs to cut down on the expense. Just a thought. :wink:

So he beat the piece of meat to increase surface area right? Why wouldn't he just cut 1-1.5" thick steaks or between the bones and increase the surface area even more? On the other hand, if he's doing it purely to be able to grill a large cut of meat without burning the outside, his technique makes sense since it would be just like taking a mallet to a chicken breast, pork chop that will be sauteed.

I think the real effect has more to do with breaking up the fibers and connective tissue, the internal surface area changes.

I've done the herb brush once, and it did cost about $10 to make. But we were entertaining for a larger group, and it was a neat novelty sort of thing. Chopping the tips up into the board dressing also added an extra layer of flavor. Having said that, I've done other cooks from or adapted from Charred and Scruffed, and just used a normal ole basting brush. I think it's something I'll do again, but certainly not on every cook.

Back