MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

Default OT - Deep Fried Turkey help

Brethren - First and foremost, I will apologize for the sacrilege that is deepfrying my turkey as opposed to smoking it. That said - I have a few questions and this is the only forum dedicated to food I'm a part of and I trust the hell out of you guys and gals for help.

Okay, first question - My son is allergic to peanuts so peanut oil is out. I have read Canola is the next best alternative but I'm worried about the lower smoke point. Any other good alternatives for about the same cost as peanut/canola?

Second - How crucial is brining? I have never brined my chicken or turkey I bbqued and have had some pretty juicy birds as long as I didnt overshoot the temps. Is this the same for deep frying them? I guess what I'm asking is does the very fast cooking deplete moisture more than just bbqing it would, making a brine more necessary?

I suppose that's it for now and I appreciate the help in advance.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

You will be fine with canola oil. I preheat to 375 and then cook at 325 degrees. The key is to not try to fry too large a bird. I fry several small ones, no more than 14 pounds apiece.

I never have brined a fried turkey. I do inject the heck out of them with Cajun Injector creole butter prior to frying. Check the ingredients though for allergies.
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

You should be fine with the Canola or even vegetable.

Instead of brining, I would go with injecting also.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Blitzcraig
Found some matches.

I've only begun smoking, however, I've been frying Turkey's for 20 years and we usually fry 3 or 4 every Thanksgiving. That's too bad you son is allergic to Peanut Oil as it is the best choice. If you can find it, Cottonseed Oil would be your next best choice.

I've never brined a Turkey that I'm going to fry, however, every one of them gets injected with either Tony's Creole Butter or straight Tabasco (we like em hot) and sprinkle the outside with the seasoning of your choice. Go 3.5 minutes per pound at 350 if it's 15lb or under, 4 min per pound if it's bigger (but I don't recommend frying birds that big).
Blitzcraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
bkleinsmid
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 104timberwolf View Post
You will be fine with canola oil. I preheat to 375 and then cook at 325 degrees. The key is to not try to fry too large a bird. I fry several small ones, no more than 14 pounds apiece.

I never have brined a fried turkey. I do inject the heck out of them with Cajun Injector creole butter prior to frying. Check the ingredients though for allergies.
Timberwolf has you covered. He does his the same way I do mine.......turns out great. I have found that 3 min 15 sec a lb is just about right.....but always double check to be sure.

Brad
bkleinsmid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

I've brined and fried the past 3 turkeys, I injected last years as well with tony's creole butter. Injecting definitely impacted the flavor more than a brine, and all have been very moist.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome and thanks again guys! Yeah, it does suck he's allergic to peanuts, but what can you do? Hopefully he gets over it as he gets older, but it hasn't been to bad.

Anyway, I guess I'll go with Canola simply because of the ease of getting it. I had read the Cottonseed Oil too, but never saw it. I'm liking the Creole butter injection and will probably roll with that.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
c farmer
Babbling Farker

My son is allergic to peanuts too so I use cottonseed oil too.

Dicks sporting goods carries it here in Pa.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

Be careful and enjoy! My kids are counting the days until fried turkey day. They'll be picking on those carcasses like a bunch of zombies.
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
CarterK
On the road to being a farker

One important note that you probably already know, but I repeat because I almost burned down the family beach house. Determine the amount of oil you will need WITH the bird in the pot. Put the bird in, fill to the level with water, take the bird out, measure the water. My first time, I estimated, got the oil up to temperature, put the bird in, and oil came over the sides, catching fire on its way to the back porch floor. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher handy, or it could have been a disaster.
CarterK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterK View Post
One important note that you probably already know, but I repeat because I almost burned down the family beach house. Determine the amount of oil you will need WITH the bird in the pot. Put the bird in, fill to the level with water, take the bird out, measure the water. My first time, I estimated, got the oil up to temperature, put the bird in, and oil came over the sides, catching fire on its way to the back porch floor. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher handy, or it could have been a disaster.
Yep! And I'm gonna throw myself under the idiot bus here for a sec...

Years ago, I fried my first turkey (well, first fried anything on an outdoor fryer) on my 2nd floor apartment's concrete balcony. In an attempt to keep the oil from staining the concrete, I put the fryer down on a couple towels which promptly caught fire when the oil splashed on them when putting the turkey in. Luckily, it just took a good stomping to put out the flames.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Make sure that bird is fully thawed too! I dropped a partly frozen one in the grease one time, and it nearly wiped out a city block.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterK View Post
Yeah I knew about this trick, and I'm actually going to measure it out tonight since I'm doing this Saturday. Get this though - I just got off the phone with the wife and brought up that we're going to use Canola. She was joking with me that I better not to start a fire and then asked in all seriousness that if a grease fire did start "I guess we would just throw water on it?" Now don't get me wrong, I would certainly like to see the fireball that would come out of throwing water onto several gallons of burning oil, but not with my house 10 feet away! Scary part is that she's a pretty good cook! Good thing we don't fry that many things!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Yep! And I'm gonna throw myself under the idiot bus here for a sec...

Years ago, I fried my first turkey (well, first fried anything on an outdoor fryer) on my 2nd floor apartment's concrete balcony. In an attempt to keep the oil from staining the concrete, I put the fryer down on a couple towels which promptly caught fire when the oil splashed on them when putting the turkey in. Luckily, it just took a good stomping to put out the flames.
lol... And did the Cabo have anything to do with that?? Man I love that stuff

Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle JJ View Post
Make sure that bird is fully thawed too! I dropped a partly frozen one in the grease one time, and it nearly wiped out a city block.
hahaha... At least you got a good story out of it! But, it's thawing as we speak.