MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris
Default $3.79 lb for Pork Belly????

I became interested in making my own bacon after seeing some of the threads about curing your own pork bellies to make bacon. I called a local butcher and got a price of $3.79lb. Is this about right, or should i call around a few other places? I have had some what of a difficult time finding it with out having to order it.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
jacksedona
Take a breath!

Default pork prices going up

i hear there is a shortage of pork especial;y with china buying up alot of pork,this is also due to the drought over the summer causing grain prices to go up-feeding pigs has become expensive

Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
tatonka3a2
On the road to being a farker

We have to order ours a week in advance - local price in ND is $2.09 right now. It wouldn't hurt to call around to a few more places.

Where to Shop -
[URL="http://www.OwensBBQ.com"]www.OwensBBQ.com[/URL]

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust[/URL]

Follow Owens BBQ on Facebook -
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust"]https://www.facebook.com/OwensBBQ[/URL]
tatonka3a2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I paid around $2.89 for mine at a fancy store this week. You are in the high end of the range but it can be hard to find. if you don't see it anywhere else, pick it up and give it a try. Super easy and lots of fun
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I have been calling around to places in metro DC. A local boutique butcher wants $7.99/lb for Berkshire pig bellies. He claims the pigs are specially fed, blah, blah, blah. Whole Foods wants $5.99/lb. A meat supplier quoted me $3.50/lb, which is what I am going with. BTW, these are all skin on bellies.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I have been calling around to places in metro DC. A local boutique butcher wants $7.99/lb for Berkshire pig bellies. He claims the pigs are specially fed, blah, blah, blah. Whole Foods wants $5.99/lb. A meat supplier quoted me $3.50/lb, which is what I am going with. BTW, these are all skin on bellies.
Berkshire bellies are the top of the line bellies but $7.99 is really high for any pork belly

I would probably still buy it to try though :)
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i've been paying 4.00 a pound and it's the cheapest i can find it locally. i can find it for 3.50 but the drive would be more than saving 50 cents a pound. even at 4 a pound it will still be the best bacon you've ever had and cheaper than a lot grocery stores. cure your own and i promise you will stop buying it from the store. dont forget the bacon pron

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have to order it and it usually run about 3 bucks a pound, only place that will order it for me in the one horse town! I had another guys get me some and it was 2.79 but it sucked looked like a came off a skinny pig!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I WISH I could find skin on pork belly! Good stuff! Best I can do is skin off around $3.50 - $3.95 per pound.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

I was shocked at the $3.79 I had to pay for my belly in Wisconsin. Shop around. I hope your mileage varies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Imperial Kamado #3
Numerous Weber Kettles, daisies and one touches
Seville Cart by Woodard for my pre-79 Kettle
Indoors cooking hearth with crane
Large heavy duty open grill for dutch ovens, etc.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I WISH I could find skin on pork belly! Good stuff! Best I can do is skin off around $3.50 - $3.95 per pound.
Boshizzle, where are you getting your bellies? The 3.50 ones I found are at Wilsons in Catlett, VA.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I have a few more places to check. I have a local grocery store that can order it, but i have found its hard to get a confirmed price from the few places i checked. This butcher that gave me the 3.79 price had just ordered some for another customer. I may just go ahead and pick it up.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Boshizzle, where are you getting your bellies? The 3.50 ones I found are at Wilsons in Catlett, VA.
Wilsons in Catlett, VA is the place where i found it for 3.50 also. i get mine locally in downtown fredericksburg. if there is another place around us i'd love to know about it

chris

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It would be nice to find curing agents around here!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
It would be nice to find curing agents around here!
You should be able to find curing salt, if not, order Morton's tenderquick online. You'll need the tenderquick plus whatever spices you decide

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks from:--->