baltimore pit beef question

hogzillas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've only done 1 in my life so far just to try it & I bought an eye of round from grocery store to do it but I'm thinking of doing a whole top round (the kind you get from RD that's 20+ lbs) as I'll be cooking for a large crowd when I do it. So question is, to speed up cook time some (I saw some youtube vids where it was smoked rather than grilled) I want to part the whole thing down so is there a best way to accomplish that or just slice it where I want to as it matters not? I would think that smoking it as a whole roast would take too long hence the reason to part it. What temp would I be taking it to? Treat it like steak or treat it like brisket?

when I think of pit beef I think of grilled, that char what sets it apart. for temp med rare is good, if cooking direct there tends to be a little bullseye effect

The only & only one I've ever done, I did grill it but it was a small eye of round & I wasn't pleased w/ how it turned out - overdone definitely. I was intrigued by some of the vids where people smoked it rather than grilled it. I may smoke it at home then grill it at serve time at tailgate. Just trying to get some info to make plans on how to do a big honking hunk of meat.

I did a sirloin roast for sammies indirect at 350 Used McCormicks Steak Seasoning and it was awesome Cooked to med rare

Back