Anyone Struggling With Brisket- Think Bludawg

It’s really cool how he spells it out. You don’t have to hit it exactly. I see his Brisket Kiss protocol all over the Internet. Bludawg shared the knowledge long before most. You can adjust to your liking. Close enough produces really good brisket.

I may try this. Full packers are impossible to find in this neck of the woods. Very occasionally, Wally World will have selects. But not all the time. Never mind choice or prime............

I may try this. Full packers are impossible to find in this neck of the woods. Very occasionally, Wally World will have selects. But not all the time. Never mind choice or prime............

Select works just fine with this method. When I buy a select I leave a little more fat on the flat. Google/YouTube Franklin Brisket Trim. Not everyone uses the higher grade brisket.

Nice round point
Thick (more importantly even) flat
White fat
Kind of floppy in the cryo

That's good to know. Next time Wally has them, i will give it whirl. Thanks.

Miss that guy. Certainly defended his technique...proven.
I don't cook much brisket at all, and haven't for a far piece, bit when I did it was a "dawg" of a brisket! Hope he's doing well

-D

Based on Google Maps, Melrose, MA is about 8 miles from a Restaurant Depot near Everett. 99% of the time they have full packer briskets. If you are a KCBS member you can get a free day pass. Or find a friend with a business to get you a free membership. My father has his own wholesale business (not food related) and he easily got me a Restaurant Depot Membership.

Yup. I am aware of RD. I would have to join KCBS. Might be an option. Thanks.

That's good to know. Next time Wally has them, i will give it whirl. Thanks.

If you're still in Melrose like your sig says, there are a couple of places that can definitely order for you.

Whole Foods will do it, but might be expensive depending on grade.

I'm 95% certain that J&B Butcher in Stoneham will do it. The guy at Professor's Market in Stoneham will, he's usually CAB. McKinnon's in Somerville probably has them on hand.

I've also gotten the butcher at a couple of local Stop and Shops to order me specific cuts in the past.

Good luck!

30 minutes or so away from you, but Alpine Butcher in Lowell usually has prime packers.

He comes to the Texas Fall Bashes. Really awesome guy. Everyone thinks he's a hard-a$$ but in reality he's just a regular guy who can cook everything and can cook on anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223929

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Bludawg is Not a Lil Guy - tho last time I saw him he’d dropped some weight...........
I myself am Not exactly Slim........

You Skinny guys are going to have to work extra hard on your briskets.........

The BEST way to get good at brisket is to smoke a brisket every Saturday ( or at least every other Saturday ) for 11 months straight........ my previous job loved Mondays when I was learning brisket .........

Last edited:
Back