has anyone upgrading to a yoder from GMG or traeger?

miked125

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been looking at a yoder for a while and currently own a GMG. I was wondering if there any big advantages?

The biggest difference is going to the the build quality. I have both. The GMG is a great smoker, but it’s not on the same level when it comes to build quality. The Yoder is 350 lbs and is built like a tank. The door has some serious weight to it.

I just upgraded to a Yoder YS640 somewhere in the April 2019 timeframe. While I personally did not own a pellet smoker prior to that, my youngest son has owned a Traeger for years so I was very well versed in what the "traeger level" smokers will do.
The BBQ store that I frequent has the GMG smokers so I got to see them up close and poke and prod those as well as many others before I decided on the Yoder.

Up front I will tell you I love the choice of the YS640 from Yoder. I have zero complaints. I am very pleased with literally every aspect of the smoker.

What I would say about the Yoder products and others that sit in that price stratum is that its a personal choice for reasons beyond simple price performance. People buy things for all sorts of reasons and have varying levels of price sensitivity. I get that and that's why the market has so many choices from bargain basement to cadillac.

Depending on your motivation and your internal mindset, the Yoder either tickles your fancy or is just way too expensive and you can get by with something that costs less. I love the dang thing. I don't even remember or think about what it cost. If you fit in that mindset for purchases you have a personal interest in, the Yoder is outstanding in build quality and the fit and finish of the materials. I thought the GMG stuff was pretty nice. But the Yoder is a battle tank.

Ownership of something you really enjoy is probably the best advantage there is.

Here she is on the back patio
picture.php

I have owned 3 different pellet grills, 2 currently. The quick answer is just because it cost more doesn't necessarily mean it will cook better.

I have owned 3 different pellet grills, 2 currently. The quick answer is just because it cost more doesn't necessarily mean it will cook better.

I concur. Price doesn't dictate a better cook.

I am also a member of other forums on other topics. The same question comes up on those forums as well : product #1 costs $50 and product number #2 cost $200. Does product #2 work four times better than #1? In most cases, no. In most cases the actual performance is roughly the same.

As in other products, there's more to it than just basic "can it do the job?".

Lots of things go in to a personal purchase. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I get that completely which is why when it comes to smokers I take a pretty low key approach to singing the praises of the Yoder or the BGE. I can find a number of products that cost a whole lot less if all I want is a well cooked piece of meat. And there is nothing wrong with going to a lower cost option or one that just does the job.

It would be very hard to say that a BGE cooks better than a Weber kettle. Big difference in cost. Not a big difference in how my steak looks. But, I love my BGE. That's all that matters to me.

YMMV and I'm glad there's room for all our opinions and choices. Its a great hobby and a great country that allows us all to choose.

I just upgraded to a Yoder YS640 somewhere in the April 2019 timeframe. While I personally did not own a pellet smoker prior to that, my youngest son has owned a Traeger for years so I was very well versed in what the "traeger level" smokers will do.
The BBQ store that I frequent has the GMG smokers so I got to see them up close and poke and prod those as well as many others before I decided on the Yoder.

Up front I will tell you I love the choice of the YS640 from Yoder. I have zero complaints. I am very pleased with literally every aspect of the smoker.

What I would say about the Yoder products and others that sit in that price stratum is that its a personal choice for reasons beyond simple price performance. People buy things for all sorts of reasons and have varying levels of price sensitivity. I get that and that's why the market has so many choices from bargain basement to cadillac.

Depending on your motivation and your internal mindset, the Yoder either tickles your fancy or is just way too expensive and you can get by with something that costs less. I love the dang thing. I don't even remember or think about what it cost. If you fit in that mindset for purchases you have a personal interest in, the Yoder is outstanding in build quality and the fit and finish of the materials. I thought the GMG stuff was pretty nice. But the Yoder is a battle tank.

Ownership of something you really enjoy is probably the best advantage there is.

Here she is on the back patio
picture.php
Couldn’t of said it better myself. I love my Yoder. I don’t have the comp cart, but that doesn’t make the cooker produce different food. If you have the coin get the Yoder. I have the 2 piece diffuser for a nice reverse sear. Awesome.

I buy the idea that the Yoder has better build quality but what I don't know is whether it will cook better food.

Nomamm, i find that your logical & level-headed approach to grill preference does not make for entertaining reading. If someone doesn't insult someone soon, I may have to quit reading this thread. :wink:

I have only used my Yoder, and while I can't say that it is going to smoke better than the cheaper grills. None of them are going to compete with it, when it comes to direct grilling.

What don't you like about the GMG?

Oh I was looking at the Traeger 34 for the cottage because I can get one for roughly $300 off. So I was wondering if I should "upgrade" to the Yoder for the home and take the GMG to the cottage or spend a lot less. I am heavily leaning to a lot less haha.

I concur. Price doesn't dictate a better cook.

It would be very hard to say that a BGE cooks better than a Weber kettle. Big difference in cost. Not a big difference in how my steak looks. But, I love my BGE. That's all that matters to me.

Yes that's very true. I owned a couple kettles, performer and WSM in the past, but I live in Canada so I switched to BGE a few years ago. If I lived in a warm area I would likely still own weber.

We had a GMG Daniel Boone for about 7-8 years and loved it.

Wanted a Yoder for a few years and pulled the trigger on a Comp Cart exactly like Bucknekked's

Nothing wrong with a GMG but we love the Yoder

Bigger
Higher quality
Multiple grates
Searing option
No auger plugging
Love the SS shelving
Just a few reasons

I built a few grates to give more options and find I cook more on the top grates and use a drip pan to keep things clean.

Only downfall is if you want to take it somewhere - It is big and heavy

We are happy with the purchase

Its like will driving a Ferrari over a Prius make you a better driver, not necessarily but its a lot more fun to have the Ferrari.

I bought my GMG Daniel Boone at the Black Friday sales because I was curious about pellets and it fell in my impulse-buy price range. Very happy with it.

Sometimes, though, you buy something because you just want it, impulse-buy price range be damned. I have a watch collection in my drawer, but my every day watch was a Timex. Then one day I was in a jewelry store and saw the exact Tag Heuer watch I had been lusting after for years. Obscenely expensive, but when the store owner offered me $200 off, it was mine. I can tout the sapphire crystal, SuperLuminova lume, high quality movement, etc., but for the purpose of keeping time, it's no better than the Timex. Still, you couldn't pry my Tag off my wrist. I think it's the same with expensive pits. I don't think a new pit would make my Q any better, but I would love to look out the back window and see that lovely 640 with Competition Cart sitting on my deck.

Its like will driving a Ferrari over a Prius make you a better driver, not necessarily but its a lot more fun to have the Ferrari.

Watch top gear about that.

How often can you open up your Ferrari vs giving the Prius all it has.

On topic: I've looked at GMG but the augur noise they make just sounds so bad. There are pluses to be had to spending more but odds are (unless something is malfunctioning) all pellet cookers will produce food that is virtually identical.

Sometimes, though, you buy something because you just want it, impulse-buy price range be damned. I have a watch collection in my drawer, but my every day watch was a Timex. Then one day I was in a jewelry store and saw the exact Tag Heuer watch I had been lusting after for years. Obscenely expensive, but when the store owner offered me $200 off, it was mine. I can tout the sapphire crystal, SuperLuminova lume, high quality movement, etc., but for the purpose of keeping time, it's no better than the Timex. Still, you couldn't pry my Tag off my wrist. I think it's the same with expensive pits. I don't think a new pit would make my Q any better, but I would love to look out the back window and see that lovely 640 with Competition Cart sitting on my deck.

The watch analogy is a pretty good one. I use it all the time. High end audio equipment is also another place where the same kinds of things happen. Its funny, on a BBQ forum, we use analogys about watches and audio equipment. On the horological forums they use audio as the comparision. On the Audio site we use......well, you get the picture.

Human beings are quirky, funny things when it comes to purchases and where we place value. I'm happy for the wide variety I get a chance to see. All the way from toilet seat red neck engineering to the super smooth expensive stuff. Its all good. For somebody.

Watch top gear about that.

How often can you open up your Ferrari vs giving the Prius all it has.

On topic: I've looked at GMG but the augur noise they make just sounds so bad. There are pluses to be had to spending more but odds are (unless something is malfunctioning) all pellet cookers will produce food that is virtually identical.

I take exception to this. I have a Traeger timberline and a MAK 2*
cooking between 275*-350* they are pretty close but for smoking L&S or high heat grilling the MAK wins hands down every time.

I take exception to this. I have a Traeger timberline and a MAK 2*cooking between 275*-350* they are pretty close but for smoking L&S or high heat grilling the MAK wins hands down every time.
I get it that a pellet pooper with grilling features will grill better than one without. But what differences do you see in the food results when cooking L&S on the two cookers?

I get it that a pellet pooper with grilling features will grill better than one without. But what differences do you see in the food results when cooking L&S on the two cookers?

I have limited experience with the Mak as I have only had it a month or so but have done BSR and Stl ribs. With the timberline, smoke mode is a must the get much smoke profile, on the MAK I have come to realize for my pallet that I need to dial back the smoke (higher heat and milder pellets) otherwise the smoke can bee too much for my liking, even more smoke than my clean burning stick burner.

Back