Rec Tec vs. Yoder?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been beaten to death already but here is goes. Rec Tec vs. yoder? Which and why? I don't have any experience on either but think I have narrowed it down to these two. I had a GMG in the past and wasn't happy with the way it performed so I got rid of it. I actually prefer to smoke with wood or charcoal but with a newborn I have quickly discovered I don't have the same amount of time to sit around and babysit a cooker. She is already talking about another in two years so I'm thinking a pellet cooker would be beneficial for me in the future for at least the next 3-4 years the majority of the time.

Build quality ????? = Toyota vs Monster truck
Rec Tec makes a great smoker.
But Yoder is an Elite Cooking Machine

JM2C

I think it depends on the size you need and how much you are willing to spend. The RecTec Mini is a great deal for it's size (probably best option out there for the size).

On the full size comparison it's harder. I think the regular RecTec is a great grill for the price but everything I've read says the Yoder is even more robust and (for the 640) can have a second shelf so is effectively larger. You pay for the capacity though.

For me, I ended up with the Rectec. Couldn't justify the additional spend and have been happy. It's very well made and the support is great. I'm sure I also would have been happy with the Yoder.

On your general issue, I have five kids and while they are older at this point I can totally understand your concern that a pellet grill might be what you need. I will warn you than at least for me, it didn't get easier in terms of time until they hit high school. Once you passed the infant/little kid stage they get into sports and other activities and you still won't have time to sit around on a Saturday watching a fire.

My wife and I have a one year old and my wife and I are having a girl end of July. I own a traeger pellet grill but I use my WSM and kamado grill more. The kamado is like a rock on temp once you get it tuned in. Trust me it's not as hard as you think to be a dad and cook bbq all night. Get a wireless thermometer and you will be fine. Once you get the hang of being a dad you will be fine. Plus babies love bbq and smoke. I just showed my kid smoke first time ever when it was warming up and he loved it he tried to grab smoke it was awesome. Obviously I kept him back from the WSM but he loves it. You can do both. Try a kamado grill if you are really worried as you can always add a temp controller like a bbq guru for busy times.

Both are good cookers, but if I were buying a new pellet grill/smoker I would buy a Yoder. I like the way they are built and the way they cook.

If you want to see a Yoder first hand, send me a PM. I think it will answer your question.

Plus, I'd rather buy anything made in the good old USA, and the midwest no less. It will be around long enough for my kids to use and maybe even have someday. Not many other pellet cookers will do that.

Last edited:
Made in the USA. But to be fair, I have never cooked on a Rec Tec. On the other hand, I have cooked on all three models of Yoder. They are all exceptional. I have used GMG and Cookshack as well. I prefer Yoder to the other two. I don't know if Yoder's customer service is second to none as I haven't used all of them, but the customer service at Yoder is pretty damn good.

Ok, what about ys480 vs 640? Keep in mind if I get the 640 I will probably have to sell one of my current cookers to help fund.

If it is my main cooker, and if I am concerned about selling it later- I would go 640 with second shelf.

I own a 640, and kinda wish I had gotten a 480. I doubt I will ever use up the full space, and if I do, it'll be a rarity. If you don't cook for tons of people (10+) on a regular basis, the 480 should get the job done, plus it uses less pellets. A 640 is just longer 480.

That being said, I have zero regrets with getting the 640 (versus other brands). But honestly, it you're sitting here looking for advice between a Rec-Tec and a Yoder, I think you need to go back to the drawing board, because if you've brought Yoder into the equation, the question shouldn't be between a Yoder and Rec-Tec, it should be between a Yoder and a MAK 1-star.

I have both Rec TEcs...never seen or cooked on the Yoder, but I know of them. My rec tec works superbly...and is very reliable. (I like the bigger model better). I came from WSM to pellet smoker...still use the WSM a lot too.

That being said, I have zero regrets with getting the 640 (versus other brands). But honestly, it you're sitting here looking for advice between a Rec-Tec and a Yoder, I think you need to go back to the drawing board, because if you've brought Yoder into the equation, the question shouldn't be between a Yoder and Rec-Tec, it should be between a Yoder and a MAK 1-star.

Honestly the yoder is already stretching the budget more than I would like and if I remember correct the Mak is more so that's why I didn't consider it.

Honestly the yoder is already stretching the budget more than I would like and if I remember correct the Mak is more so that's why I didn't consider it.
stick with the rec tec then and enjoy it and get some meat.

There are lots to consider: Memphis & PG500 are other viable units. Price wise the 480 is a solid choice. I have one. For a family of four it is perfect. It can also stretch to feed 10 times that number no problem. Malcolm Reed (www.howtobbqright.com) uses a 480 for his every day grill. He recently did a review on the 480.

Just my 2 cents, but hands down the yoder. I believe the yoder to be in a class above the rec tec. I believe a rec tec to be a good smoker, just believe the yoder to be a better smoker.

Ok, what about ys480 vs 640? Keep in mind if I get the 640 I will probably have to sell one of my current cookers to help fund.

I guess that all depends on how much you cook. Both cook great. For $200 more to get the YS640, you get more space and the sliding damper. To me, it was a no brainer to get the YS640 vs. the YS480 because most people regret getting too small of a cooker, not many regret getting one that's too big, but some do.

No one can tell you which size to get, only you can determine that. But from what I've been told the YS640 sells more units vs. the YS480 by a long shot. I totally understand budget being important, that's how I have to make many of my decisions. My wife also keeps that very known when I get to looking because my dreams tend to open my wallet a little more than I should. But we both agreed the YS640 was the way to go when I was first looking several years ago and comparing the YS640 vs. the YS480. But that's just me.

I would definitely spring for a Yoder 640 if you can spare the change. It is a long term investment so a couple hundred dollars averaged over several years of use doesn't amount to much more money.

If you can't, the Rec Tec will fit your needs I am sure.

Back