Smoked Meatloaf Help!?

Hopweaver

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I smoked a meatloaf last weekend that came out a little dry. Anyone have a good process for smoking a meatloaf? I used a thermometer and pulled it at 180 F. Other than being a little dry, the flavor was awesome. It was still probably the best meatloaf I have tasted but I want to make it even better next time.

6K75lKi.jpg

Just did two yesterday.

180 degrees internal sounds high, I pull mine at 160, tent and let rest for 15-20 minutes.

Having said that, I've found out that probe placement in a meat loaf can be kind of tricky because of the different ingredients in it. I have to cook two to feed the family and almost always have one run away from the other temp-wise.

When that happens, I keep probing till I find the lowest temps that are close on both loaves and then verify that with my instant read.

Had to do it three times yesterday and they came out perfectly.

Think main problem is the 180 degrees. I agree with pulling off at 160 or 165.

Thanks for advice. I will try 165 next time.

Not sure what happened with the picture. It was not a jumbo meatloaf!

I sauce mine at the internal temp of 130° or 140° then I cook until internal temp of 160°. Meatloaf only needs to get to 160° to be cooked through. Yours looks good, but you over cooked it if it was dry.

I normally do 2/3rds beef and 1/3rd fatty pork, pull at 165 as previously said.
This is what I do. Even with leaner beef I still have a lot of fat in the loaf pan to dump out. Only use the pan to set the shape.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I smoked a meatloaf last weekend that came out a little dry. Anyone have a good process for smoking a meatloaf? I used a thermometer and pulled it at 180 F. Other than being a little dry, the flavor was awesome. It was still probably the best meatloaf I have tasted but I want to make it even better next time.

6K75lKih.jpg

Put an h just before .jpg[/img]

When posting from imgur use Large or Huge thumbnail link........

Can I assume you like well done steak??? But I'll agree with everyone else, 155-160 tops.

Lots of good advice on temp-ingredients etc.

Don’t play with your meat too much. Don’t smash/compact it to tightly. Fold in the ingredients and mold your loaf with gentle hands. As well, Meatloaf Cupcakes are juicy every time.

Don’t play with your meat too much. Don’t smash/compact it to tightly. Fold in the ingredients and mold your loaf with gentle hands. As well, Meatloaf Cupcakes are juicy every time.

Just don't let yer meat loaf!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
It looks tasty from here!
For store bought ground meat, I take it to 165F. For home ground, I go lower.

+1 on the lower temp. As a side note, I have started using dried onion in mine. The loaf holds it shape better, doesn't crumble when slicing, less grease, and I think the flavor is better.

Yeah, pull temp sounds high. Maybe another thing. I do meatloaf on heavy-duty aluminum foil, kinda forming a bowl out of it to retain the 80/20 fat. Never tried directly on the grate, if that's what you did.

It looks tasty from here!

For store bought ground meat, I take it to 165F. For home ground, I go lower.
I've put down some beef from a side of beef I get and want to try smoking meatloaf. What temp do you recommend taking it to? It's already ground from the processing. 80/20.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've put down some beef from a side of beef I get and want to try smoking meatloaf. What temp do you recommend taking it to? It's already ground from the processing. 80/20.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If I ground it MYSELF and know that the utisils and meat were kept clean and REALLY COLD,140-150.I would not trust already ground beef that you did not micromanage.

I like to start meatloaf out in a pan,as soon as it "sets up" dump it out of the pan and continue smoking until it reaches the internal temp you are comfortable with.Cuts WAYYY down on the sitting in grease conundrum.

Back