Recipe Ideas for Dietary Restrictions...

Imp81318

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We're hosting a get-together at our house in a couple of weeks and there are several people that keep kosher coming to it. For those of you that aren't aware/familiar, kosher means that you can only eat meat from certain animals and it must be butchered in a specific way and blessed by a rabbi. Kosher also means that you can't mix meat with cheese. We are thinking that everyone is going to bring their own main dish/meat for me to grill but I'd like to do some kind of side dish or appetizer or something on the smoker as well. So, what are your best recipes that do not involve use of meat or cheese?

Yes, I know this is a tall order to request. I'm thinking that I'll do a fresh salsa with veggies roasted/smoked with chips but I'd like something else as well. Maybe a bean salad or dip or something? I've never done anything like that before though so I'd just be picking a recipe off the internet...

There was a Kosher BBQ comp in Long island a few years ago and you could only use a new grill and new utensils. None of it could have previously been used on non kosher food. My condolences to you for trying to pull this off.

That one could be rough to accommodate...

I’m thinking it’s gonna come down to just how kosher they are. If followed very closely you won’t be able to pull it off.

toymaster brings up a very good point. If they are strict kosher they're not going to want anything that comes off a used (non-kosher) grill, and served with your utensils.

Best thing to do is go all potluck, leave the grill/smoker cold, buy disposable plates and utensils.

Here are a few things to assist you in finding "Kosher" ingredients in your sides or appetizers.

Kosher foods are classified as being either "dairy," "meat" or "neutral" (neither dairy nor meat). Foods that meet the Kosher dietary laws are labeled with one of the Kosher symbols, including: K,
circleu.gif
, and
circlek.gif

Kosher foods that contain dairy products usually contain a "D" or the word "Dairy" after the Kosher symbol.

Kosher foods that are considered neutral (i.e. not "dairy" or "meat") have the word "Pareve" or "Parve" after the Kosher symbol. (Note: under Kosher laws, fish is considered to be "neutral"). Don't confuse the letter "P" with "Pareve".

The letter "P" in Kosher food labeling never denotes "Pareve". "P" designates "Kosher for Passover" (a Jewish holiday which has its own dietary laws).

Not all foods are Kosher, and therefore not all foods contain a Kosher label.

Its a complex issue as mentioned above. It is not just certain types of meat and how they are slaughtered, or a marking on a package about being Kosher, etc. There is the no mixing of dairy and meat as well. Depending on one's religious beliefs they may have to have a time period between eating something dairy and then something with meat.

To play it safe, make something with veggies that are fresh and some sort of grain. Look at like a Kale or Quinoa salad using only raw ingredients - fruits, veggies and grains. Do not add things that are canned/bottled/processed. If they are conservative they will likely eat it. Even a home made hummus or try a home made babganoush and you can smoke the eggplant.

If they are strictly kosher, as mentioned above, they will not eat anything coming out of a non kosher kitchen so your efforts are appreciated but likely in vein.

True Kosher folks will have two of every appliance in the kitchen to avoid any type of contamination at all....

I would ask about the grill. Could also be a darn good excuse to buy a new grill :)

May also need to buy toss away pans and utensils so everything used is new on the side dish.

I made a grilled potato salad from a serious eats recipe recently. It should be kosher and was really good.

They keep kosher but are willing to eat food cooked and served with non-kosher appliances. They have even indicated that heyre fine with their food being cooked next to non-kosher food, but out of respect for them I'm going to use a second grill. I am familiar with the various rules and limitations of being kosher asy wife is Jewish and we have a Jewish household (i.e. we are raising our kids Jewish) but we do not keep kosher.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Sooooooo they’re not really kosher...

Cook away then!!

Fire is usually an acceptable method for making a utensil kosher. The grill should not be a problem. We use the same grill for kosher and non-kosher meats for about a week every summer with full support of the kosher family. I have been given approval on the smoker as well after a cleanout with a weed burner, even to the extent that a kosher brisket can cook at the same time as pork butts as long as it is on the top shelf and not getting pig fat drippings.

Sides are mostly pretty easy as long as they are meat and dairy free. Salads, baked beans, grilled or fresh veggies, fruits, are all good. Obviously no bacon in the baked beans, no cheese on the salad, but it is easy enough to leave some aside before adding those ingredients most of the time.

My advice would be to have a conversation with one of the guests ahead of time. There are wide variations in how people interpret and follow the rules. Some will eat kosher cuts of meat (front half of a cow) even if not from a kosher source (especially on vacation or when visiting someone) others will stick to only kosher butchered meat. Some will have dairy deserts 30-60 minutes after a meat meal, some wait longer.

Honestly, I find the Kosher guests much easier than the California ones who seem to have a new food fad every year.

I assume that your guests are eating a jewish diet, not Muslim diet for kosher? This came from some Muslim friends of ours years ago. I really enjoy it. If you have to leave the feta cheese out, add 2 (or more if you want), tablespoons of chopped mint, and this will have some pop. I really like fresh or frozen green peas in place of red beans!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2nHzzyD68yw_a55G_7eJEg&cshid=1561426337337

I also like to make babaganoush! Good for bread or veggie dip. You will have to Google a recipe, I dont have one off hand. I like to slow smoke the eggplant after poking 8 or 10 holes, instead of roasting at a higher temperature

Last edited:
Definitely speak to them with what you are planning to do and they will let you know whether they can or cannot eat it.

If they like spices, then maybe also have a look at Indian vegan food...

Back