MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #16
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

If still in town, I have a DFW BBQ playlist on my Youtube channel. Tons of good options there. http://www.youtube.com/bowersbarbecue
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #17
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar11 View Post
There's so much great barbeque around here that the list gets long quick.
407, Goldee's, Panther City, Daynes, are what come to mind on the Fort Worth side.
Terry Black's, Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, Slow Bone, and Cattleack on the Dallas side.
Meshack's in Garland is a great spot for ribs. No seating.

Tex-mex/Mexican - Avila's in Dallas is awesome. Ojeda's just down the road from it is pretty darn good, too. El Pueblo in Oak Cliff makes great Mexican food, but they sometimes hit folks with a "gringo tax" and some folks find the neighborhood a little sketchy. La Mexicana up in Denton is good - great migas. Joe T. Garcia's is a Fort Worth institution. There's a local chain called Blue Goose Cantina that lots of folks like.

Norma's Cafe in Oak Cliff and Mama's Daughters Diner (original is Dallas Design District) are home-cookin' classics (I think Norma's is better). All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum is worthwhile (great everything, but the chili, chicken fried steak, and bacon are all noteworthy). Rodeo Goat (several locations) has great burgers. Easy Slider in Deep Ellum is great, too. If a gastropub is something you want to check out, maybe try Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. A pretty nice restaurant in downtown Fort Worth is Reata.

DarkStar11, thanks for the recommendations.

Tried Blue Goose Cantina, food was good, but disappointed that we had to ask for utensils to eat with. Really a busy place. Then we tried Garcia's, limited menu, mostly fajitas but great !

Took a ride up to Dallas and went to Terry Black's, great brisket but the beef ribs were out of this world. No sauce needed.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #18
IamMadMan

Well, I'm back from Dallas / Fort Worth.

I visited many eateries, many places not worthy of mention. I will post as I sort the pictures by visits.

First notable place we visited was Heim BBQ on the River in Fort Worth, just outside of the Joint Reserve Base. Suggested by ronbrad62 and Frognot

Definitely an enjoyable visit, quaint rustic simple atmosphere with GREAT food.

I hesitantly tried the Bacon Burnt Ends on the recommendations of the above; They were outstanding!!!! We also ordered brisket, Texas Sausage, Collard Greens, Hatch Chile Macaroni and Cheese, Hand Cut Fries, and Onion Rings. When I picked up the order, it looked like they gave me giant donuts by accident; they were the homemade onion rings.

While there were 3 or 4 bottles of sauce on the table, no one used any because the food stood on it's own with great flavors. However i believe my Granddaughter did dip her fries into some.

Old 08-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #19
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Great, No ! Now you are going to have me looking for flights back to Dallas!
I'm so glad that you all enjoyed the food there, and from the looks of the onion rings, I'm going to have to grab some of those next time.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:55 PM   #20
IamMadMan

The best BBQ eatery we visited was Terry Blacks in Dallas. I took my Granddaughter to the Dallas Aquarium and decided to have a late lunch / early dinner.

Unique BBQ restaurant with simple rustic aviance, buy the food by weight. At first it might seem a little pricey, but you can order any size you like, you don't have to get a pound if you only want a single scoop.

Do yourself a favor and don't order the pork ribs; it is not that the pork ribs are bad, but rather that the beef is so far superior, anything else seems so inferior in taste.

All the sides were great, no complaints at all......

The brisket was fantastic, but I went out on a limb and ordered a beef rib just to try them. Definitely a good choice for our feast. Tender melt in your mouth beef, great beefy flavor, with plenty of flavorful bark. If you haven't tried one of his beef ribs, you truly don't know what you are missing.

They were not busy and the pit master allowed me back with him and after washing had a lengthy close up conversation as he wrapped his briskets in butcher paper.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #21
IamMadMan

I also found a little donut place in White Settlement (Duke's Doughnuts), on the west side of Fort Worth. I have to say the light fluffy pillowy morsels of fried dough simply melts in your mouth. Truly addictive, I made a trip there almost every morning.

My Granddaughter also become very fond of the Kolaches (Sausage Rolled in a wonderfully light yeast dough). Simply delicious....

Old 05-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #22
IamMadMan

Heading back to Fort Worth for Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks to RonBrad62 I'll be returning to Heim's by the River near the Joint reserve Base again, the food was awesome. Bacon Burnt Ends are the BOMB!

I'll probably stop at Terry Black's when I first arrive, and explore some of the other recommendations given to me last year.

I'll also be making daily trips to Dukes Doughnuts in White Settlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar11 View Post
There's so much great barbeque around here that the list gets long quick.
407, Goldee's, Panther City, Daynes, are what come to mind on the Fort Worth side.
Terry Black's, Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, Slow Bone, and Cattleack on the Dallas side.
Meshack's in Garland is a great spot for ribs. No seating.

Tex-mex/Mexican - Avila's in Dallas is awesome. Ojeda's just down the road from it is pretty darn good, too. El Pueblo in Oak Cliff makes great Mexican food, but they sometimes hit folks with a "gringo tax" and some folks find the neighborhood a little sketchy. La Mexicana up in Denton is good - great migas. Joe T. Garcia's is a Fort Worth institution. There's a local chain called Blue Goose Cantina that lots of folks like.

Norma's Cafe in Oak Cliff and Mama's Daughters Diner (original is Dallas Design District) are home-cookin' classics (I think Norma's is better). All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum is worthwhile (great everything, but the chili, chicken fried steak, and bacon are all noteworthy). Rodeo Goat (several locations) has great burgers. Easy Slider in Deep Ellum is great, too. If a gastropub is something you want to check out, maybe try Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. A pretty nice restaurant in downtown Fort Worth is Reata.

Open for any new updated recommendations....
Old 05-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #23
LYU370

As was already mentioned, go see Bryan up at 407BBQ in Argyle. So good!

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #24
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
As was already mentioned, go see Bryan up at 407BBQ in Argyle. So good!

I have more time, so it is on my list, looks like a 45 minute drive, Thanks Andy.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #25
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric

Marty B’s in Bartonville is a really fun place with great food. Big indoor dining area, huge outdoor space with live music. Big menu with steak, bbq and Tex Mex, and everything I’ve had was good. Marty has several restaurants but he’s a bbq guy at heart. The brisket is legit.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #26
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyupbbq View Post
Marty B’s in Bartonville is a really fun place with great food. Big indoor dining area, huge outdoor space with live music. Big menu with steak, bbq and Tex Mex, and everything I’ve had was good. Marty has several restaurants but he’s a bbq guy at heart. The brisket is legit.
Thanks, I'll see if I can travel north on this trip, if not the when I return in july.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:56 PM   #27
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Thanks for the review. I was curious what the relationship was between Terry Black's and Black's BBQ of Lockhart. I ran across this article:

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...%20Black's.

Granted, it's on the restaurants in Austin and not Dallas and we all know that different establishments of the same name can vary. For the record, although Black's BBQ in Lockhart has received some mediocre reviews over the last few years, I've always had outstanding food there. The brisket the last time I visited, probably some four years ago now, was one of two that has been seemingly permanently etched in my memory it was so delicious.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #28
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Thanks for the review. I was curious what the relationship was between Terry Black's and Black's BBQ of Lockhart. I ran across this article:

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...%20Black's.

Granted, it's on the restaurants in Austin and not Dallas and we all know that different establishments of the same name can vary. For the record, although Black's BBQ in Lockhart has received some mediocre reviews over the last few years, I've always had outstanding food there. The brisket the last time I visited, probably some four years ago now, was one of two that has been seemingly permanently etched in my memory it was so delicious.
That article is outdated for sure. Terry Blacks is far superior to the original Blacks BBQ now. The Terry Blacks in Austin has expanded to Dallas and is also about to open a new spot in Lockhart and Waco. The Lockhart location will be interesting to watch because of the family feud now in the same town and the locals seem to like to stick with tradition.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:05 PM   #29
IamMadMan

Made it back to Heim's, food was good, but they really shorted their serving sizes of mat on their platters. I'd rather pay more for a meal than to have to go back and order again.

Terry Blacked was outstanding, ample portions of great food.

I gave Panther City BBQ a try. Purchased the Hells Half Acre with every side side. Good ribs, great tender juicy brisket, tender sweet bacon burnt ends. The only downside was the smoked turkey, had an off taste reminiscent of lighter fluid.

Avoided the chain text med establishmens, I was really surprised with many of the small hole in the wall locations we visited.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #30
IamMadMan

[I hate auto correct.... lol. Corrected below will post pictures upon my return.

QUOTE=IamMadMan;4576697]Made it back to Heim's, food was good, but they really shorted their serving sizes of meat on their platters. I'd rather pay more for a meal than to have to go back and order again.

Terry Blacked was outstanding, ample portions of great food.

I gave Panther City BBQ a try. Purchased the Hells Half Acre with every side available. Good ribs, great tender juicy brisket, tender sweet bacon burnt ends. The only downside was the smoked turkey, had an off taste reminiscent of lighter fluid.

Avoided the chain tex- mex establishmens, I was really surprised with the quality of food at many of the small hole in the wall locations we visited.[/QUOTE]