First Webber cook

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
It's not possible to be in this forum without reading about people using a kettle. Half of youtube bbq videos use a kettle. It seems to be a staple. So I'm convinced I should get one. But the price of a new kettle in Israel starts at $360 for the 22". So I looked for a used one. Finally I found a nice looking unit for ~$100. I also added a nice lid hinge and a gasket.

eUeCn1th.jpg

cVeV5bph.jpg

6tsEufVh.jpg

qjSVqakh.jpg

I have a new grate but I liked the idea of the hinges. I cleaned the grate with everything from dish soap to industrial strength oil remover. In the end I just used my angle grinder with the rust removal tool. Worked well. I'm not into other people's gonk.

Sg1pidKh.jpg

I did some seasoning for a few hours.
Now it's time to cook!

With the exception of whole hog you can do just about any BBQ you’d want. Good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got some butcher cuts. I believe they're called hanger steaks.

6O0Irfkh.jpg

VcUPa9fh.jpg

Here's all the ways you can arrange the coals.
picture.php

Any place colored black is indirect. I second the Vortex, two fire bricks are helpful, too.

As THoey said, consider the slow n sear.... If thats above your budget, a pair of charcoal baskets are also an option, and very inexpensive ....versatility, and they pay for themselves with fuel savings. Enjoy your new kettle!

That went very fast. I loaded a chimney of charcoal. A few minutes after the coal was dropped it got to 400f and quickly 450... 500 and over my thermometers capacity. All with the lid closed. Since these are thin cuts they only need a quick sear.

BnuuiOQh.jpg

Turned three times every 2 minutes and they look done. Internal temp. is good.

lYre5lih.jpg

BOvjqQfh.jpg

I like the hinge..thx for the pics..see Amazon carries it..

I recall recently a gentleman said he couldn't even find a certain Weber (26 I believe) in the UK. Discontinued.
If I were the Weber CEO I would make the Worlds Greatest Kettle grill available to...well...the world. At a reasonable price.
Welcome to the Weber Club. :-D

Great looking first cook on your new to you Weber kettle, Welcome to the club. I have one and do 80% of my outdoor grilling on it. Mine gets used two to four times a week grilling or smoking something. You are all set with the kettle and your UDS for just about any thing you want to cook.

Back