Calling all opinions!

bkirkbride

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Just curious what accessories are considered "must haves"? I love my charcoal grill, and I have a gas grill as well.

What makes your life easier when cooking or preparing your favorite meats?

There is a difference between must haves, and nice to haves. Must haves in my opinion are a chimney, charcoal rake, a set of tongs, pig tail flipper, and a spatula. Everything else, just depends on what you want to do with your grill. What type of grill do you have?

Must have? What are you cooking on? (if anything) What do you want to cook? How do you want to cook it? What do you want it to taste like when you are done?

Lots of possibilities based on what you answer.

There is a difference between must haves, and nice to haves. Must haves in my opinion are a chimney, charcoal rake, a set of tongs, pig tail flipper, and a spatula. Everything else, just depends on what you want to do with your grill. What type of grill do you have?

This, and I'd add a couple bricks to the list. Most of that gadgety crap just takes up space in your cabinet and uses money you could be spending on meat.

I agree with the Food Saver (or other vacuum sealer option), an instant read meat thermometer (of some sort), and either some fire brick or a Vortex if you've got a kettle.

I can pretty much work with/around other "needs" / niceties, as needed from there.

For cooking on my kettles.
From the kitchen a decent spatula, a pair of locking tongs, and an instant read meat thermometer. Outside, a charcoal starter chimney, two fire bricks to hold more fuel for longer indirect cooks and something long made out of steel to move coals around. Something like a vortex is nice for cooking smaller pieces of meat, like chicken parts.
A rotisserie makes for some good food.

A timer, although these days it's my smartphone that serves that purpose. Especially on longer cooks, or when getting fiddly (turning mop every X minutes). Good heat-proof gloves. I keep food service 2 and 3 liter containers around for marinating, holding mopping liquid, etc. A fire extinguisher.

I agree with the Food Saver (or other vacuum sealer option), an instant read meat thermometer (of some sort), and either some fire brick or a Vortex if you've got a kettle.

I can pretty much work with/around other "needs" / niceties, as needed from there.

Now that’s a really good list right there. The only things I’d add: a flexible blade boning knife, a 10+” slicer, butcher paper and some beer - preferably Shiner or Smithwicks Red Ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heavy duty aluminum foil. Use it for a number of things: liner for a plastic drip pan so I can reuse the drip pan, smoker pouch for wood chips in the gas grill, prep surface for trimming/seasoning, ....

My vortex is probably the best gadget I've bought. I use it all the time. I just love circling and cooking the meats around that heat source and then giving them a good sear. Chicken, steak, pork chops, veggies, you name it. I also like my stainless tongs. I only reached over a vortex once. Once!

Hey y'all,

Just curious what accessories are considered "must haves"? I love my charcoal grill, and I have a gas grill as well.

What makes your life easier when cooking or preparing your favorite meats?

Enough chicken wings to fill a 26" Weber kettle, an ample supply of my fav spice rubs and wing sauce, and a case of beer.

Back