Kettle + Vortex = Kickin Chicken

KevinJ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Coated thighs and breasts with milk then dredged in Pride of the West All Purpose Batter Mix, thighs were then seasoned with Slap Ya Mamma, breasts were left as is and sorry no cook shots.

j39BmWR.jpg

I wish I could express how awesome that first crispy, crunchy, spicy bite though the skin was, can't wait todo the batter mix and SYM on wings. :hungry:

hHh0c31.jpg

Lookin good Kevin! it has been a while I need to go back to this for sure

Wowsers! And seems I recently heard someone say the Vortex was “wasting money”... [emoji849]

I will have to try some chicken with the batter mix and SYM seasoning using my Vortex. It looks like it came out perfect. My Vortex lives in the Weber for most all of my cooks. I sometimes push it to one side if I want more grate space and I also have the Upper deck grate that works well for additional cooking space. I really do not know why some would say the Vortex is a waste of money. Mine has paid for its self in a short time in charcoal savings.
Thanks for posting.

Gonna do Vortex chicken on my Old Smokey this weekend. How long did yall do the chicken and did you flip? I just bought the Vortex recently and have yet to put it to work. Most seem to use it for wings but I got it mainly for breasts and thighs...of a chicken.

Gonna do Vortex chicken on my Old Smokey this weekend. How long did yall do the chicken and did you flip? I just bought the Vortex recently and have yet to put it to work. Most seem to use it for wings but I got it mainly for breasts and thighs...of a chicken.
Flipped them about 20min in, breast took about 30min to cook, thighs 35. I leave all the vents wide open when cooking chicken, like to keep a oven therm in the kettle to measure grate temps, was cooking at just over 400.

Looks awesome Kevin! I love me some grill fried chicken.

I love using the Vortex with my Kettle. I mostly cook wings and never flip them and they are done in about 40 minutes. I think the Vortex was money well spent.

Looks great. I have yet to try breaded grilled chicken, but it is on my to do list.

Looks delicious Kevin! Your whole meal looks mighty fine!

Back