Sous-vide Reheating?

BenBarrBQue

Reaction score
I know you can't use sous-vide for cooking at a KCBS contest, but what about reheating? Is reheating the same as "holding?" Rules say no electric or propane sources for cooking or holding, but what about reheating? Just curious. Not sure if that would earn you a DQ or not.

What would you be reheating? Are you going to cook everything Friday after meat inspection, chill it down then reheat after a long night's sleep or the hangover wears off?

A "legal" way around it would be to put your sealed food submerged in a water bath and then put on a smoker or grill and heated with an approved heat source. I think this still goes against the spirit of the rules.

A "legal" way around it would be to put your sealed food submerged in a water bath and then put on a smoker or grill and heated with an approved heat source. I think this still goes against the spirit of the rules.

I’m not sure this is true. Technically “sous vide” means under vacuum. So I think sealing it up and placing it in water breaks the rule regardless of the heat source. Quick! We need a rep advisory.

Either way, I sure wouldn’t want to be seen doing this. It’s at best stretching the rules. It would certainly be talked about amongst your fellow cooks.

Quick! We need a rep advisory.

Either way, I sure wouldn’t want to be seen doing this. It’s at best stretching the rules. It would certainly be talked about amongst your fellow cooks.

Looks like the rules committee is looking into this.

Rules Committee: Mike Richter

The Rules Committee met August 15th. Several items were discussed including vacuum sealing meat after it has been cooked.

No plan to do it, but those would be the circumstances that I would do it if I did. Especially the long night's sleep and the hangover!

If memory serves, sous-vide is explicitly prohibited by the latest KCBS rules.

Back