On Topic - Cleaning shelves after a Q

I

in2que

I got one of those plastic containers that fits under the bed that was big enough to hold the shelves. Put 1/2 gallon of ammonia and some dish soap; filled with water and the next day just pull 'em out and hose 'em off. Clean as new and no scrubbing or dishpan hands 8)

Do you put them back under the bed while they soak ? :mrgreen:

brd1958 said:
Do you put them back under the bed while they soak ? :mrgreen:

Not any more. The cat's smelled the ammonia, thought it was p*ss and peed all over the bedspread :p

Sounds like a pretty good idea -- I'm notorious for leaving the racks and bowl in the ECB. It's not that they are that hard to clean it's just they get nasty if they sit. Soaking and rinsing would surely be easier.

Is it really necessary to clean the shelves with cleaners? I have read that some professionals NEVER clean there shleves/bbq's with cleaners. I just heat my shelves up in the firebox, give them a good scrub and use.

I line em up on the deck and turn the pressure washer loose on em. Cleans em spotless

Im with john. I never clean the grates.

I just put them in the firebox and let them burn off. Put them in at the end of the cook, close the firebox and open the dampers allte way. After a few mins, brush them with a brass bristle brush to get the crud off while they're in there.

once in a while, when i'm cleaning something else, i'll git them with the hose or pressure washer.

SoCalCraigster said:
I soak them in gasoline and throw a match on em.

yeah, and you use lighter fluid to light your coals too... right? And cook over cold, wet, green mesquite.

Seriously, unless your extremely lazy or loaded, it takes me 5 minutes to clean 4 grates. Fill sink with extremely hot water, add a POOPIE load of Dawn which cuts right through the grease, wipe with those plastic scrubber dealies. Like an SOS pad but made from raveled plastic.

Couple minutes, like new.

Works on the Stainless ECB's too. But on both, spray a little spray olive oil or Pam first.

That brings up an interesting thought on how products get there names.

Do you think Dawn was named after a girl who dated alot of "Greasers" in the 50's and found that by applying soap to the "down there" it was easier to clean up?

Now Pam, Pam was known as a loose girl who use to swallow and allow for easy non-sticky clean up.

Am I in the wrong forum with this response?

willkat98 said:

LOL, maybe Phil will just cut the last half out and throw it in the woodpile :D

If I stuck those grates in the new $500 stainless steel sink to clean them and scratched it all up, I would be up s*it creek at the house. I have always used Pam though (the spray, not the loose girl) but Monday I didn't use anything just to see if the 24 hour soak in ammonia and Dawn would do the trick. Everything just rinsed right off!

willkat98 said:
That brings up an interesting thought on how products get there names.

Do you think Dawn was named after a girl who dated alot of "Greasers" in the 50's and found that by applying soap to the "down there" it was easier to clean up?

Now Pam, Pam was known as a loose girl who use to swallow and allow for easy non-sticky clean up.

Then Dawn and Pam got together and figured how to manage Non-Stick easy clean up, Astro-Glide. Then came along stud duck and things got hard and began to quack.

Well, I guess that finishes up this particular thread? :D

DFLittle said:
Well, I guess that finishes up this particular thread? :D

No I need to discuss this mushroom $hit with Bill, hell he probably mixes mushrooms with rice. Jeez Louise.

I don't do fungus.

Mushrooms suck

Phil boasts about how great his Salsa chili is, (sauce is good) and he "claims" in the chili thread that he don't add beans and stuff to get chunks (only chunks of tomato) but then he throws a 128oz industrial size can of farking shrooms in there.

Singing Zippity Do Da out my ass with fungus farts for a week.

Cleaning Grates me! :lol: :lol: :wink: Just burn em off along with water pan at start of next Q while colals are flaming. :lol:

willkat98 said:
I don't do fungus.

Mushrooms suck

Phil boasts about how great his Salsa chili is, (sauce is good) and he "claims" in the chili thread that he don't add beans and stuff to get chunks (only chunks of tomato) but then he throws a 128oz industrial size can of farking shrooms in there.

Singing Zippity Do Da out my ass with fungus farts for a week.

LMAO........but the important thing is.... where you singing "on key"??? and next questions.. do fungus farts tickle on the way out??... with all that fuzz and stuff on them??
:lol:

I usually cook a pot of beans seperate wih a little chile in it, so those who want beans can add them themselves... so really, no beans in the chile, sharon wont eat it. Just toe-maters and peppers while cookin it.. then I unload a hopper of shrooms in at the end. I'll skip the shrooms at the next bash just for you..

Actually, I have a recipe with rice and muchrooms :D

Back