MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #16
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Always price family events on paper with your regular charges. Hand them a quote/invoice with the standard price clearly showing...then their family discount and "their" price. They will never even mention how high "their" price is after seeing the "regular" price right above it.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #17
HannahHoney
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Always price family events on paper with your regular charges. Hand them a quote/invoice with the standard price clearly showing...then their family discount and "their" price. They will never even mention how high "their" price is after seeing the "regular" price right above it.

That's a very reasonable way, always do the same.
HannahHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
HannahHoney
Found some matches.

Luckily I have understanding relatives, who appreciate my work. But when it comes to some "friends", it's a real diaster! Last month I did catering for my "friend's" party and when I asked showed him a bill with 70% discount, he yelled at me, told me that I think only about money and everything I cooked was horrible and I had to be grateful that he didn't ask me to pay him (!!!) for a "moral damage". I am still shocked.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #19
BBQ_Bama
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
One of the biggest issues I see with family and some friends is that they come to expect things for nothing or nearly nothing. Not just with BBQ, but other services as well (electrical, network, home audio/video, cameras). Like you had mentioned, they even cry if you give them the items at cost.

Then if you help one, another one thinks you should do the same for them.
One of the biggest over looked "donations" in situations like this is labor cost. Most people who try to do a good deed for a family member will not charge for labor, which we all know is the bulk of what someone pays for in a catered event. You will simply charge the cost of tangible items such as food cost and throw the labor in "free". But yet they will still moan and complain about the food cost.
BBQ_Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #20
BBQ_Bama
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahHoney View Post
Luckily I have understanding relatives, who appreciate my work. But when it comes to some "friends", it's a real diaster! Last month I did catering for my "friend's" party and when I asked showed him a bill with 70% discount, he yelled at me, told me that I think only about money and everything I cooked was horrible and I had to be grateful that he didn't ask me to pay him (!!!) for a "moral damage". I am still shocked.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Good lord above. Who needs enemies when you've got friends like that.
BBQ_Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #21
HannahHoney
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Bama View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Good lord above. Who needs enemies when you've got friends like that.

I was really shocked! I was really upset because we've been friends since the childhood and I thought he's a nice person, but ...
Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #22
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

I only cook for close friends and family who I am willing to donate my labor to. Cooking is a hobby for me, and I haven't put myself in a position where it was necessary to charge for my time. To people who have asked, I have declined.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #23
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
My brother in law who is about 20 years younger than me and 16 younger than my wife (his sister) is getting married next year and had me price catering the wedding today with apps, full dinner, rentals, and staffing. I priced it at my cost which was a 65% discount give or take to him. He calls my wife up after getting the price and says "Holy $1*# you all need to give me a farking family discount. AAAAhhhh family.

Don't do business with family if you want to remain friends with them. Theres a reason they hire you instead of someone else. Tell them to hire someone else and remain friends.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #24
Annie_Hall
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
This is a good idea. But sometimes they still complain. Geez. They just don't want to go straight forward that you have to cater them for free. LOL
Annie_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #25
Pulmah Finger
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I had a buddy who taught me a lesson on this.

He was a locksmith. Family would always want him to cut keys for free or rekey their houses at no charge. He told them no every time.

He said I will help you move from one house to another, baby sit your little monster so you and the misses can go out to dinner, hell i will even split fire wood for you...but I provide for my family by locksmithing. so here is your bill.

It became crystal clear to me how to address it with family and friends from that point forward.
Pulmah Finger is offline   Reply With Quote