MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
Winstonsmith
Found some matches.

Default I want a brisket. Really want one but...

I'm in upstate NY and as someone who has severe heart failure being exposed to temps below 40 or over 80 can be fatal. Yeah that's life. What that means is I can never use a conventional smoker, ever as I have to tend it and that can be fatal depending on particulars. Again that's life. BUT I did buy the hated electric smoker which I can use between late March until sometime in October. But I want brisket

What I have is an oven with a couple heavy baking stones plus a 20 lb steel plate which live at the bottom. This results in a 2-5F temperature swing once things reach equilibrium so temp regulation is pretty good. Oh it's electric with convection if that matters.

Brisket, rub, liquid smoke, pink smoke, pink paper, probe thermometers, yada yada yada.

I was thinking I could apply pink salt, then a mixture of mustard and liquid smoke, then cook at the proper temp, use the pink paper, etc.

Thoughts?
Winstonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

You win the award for longest time in between posts :)

I'd skip the liquid smoke, and probably reconsider the pink salt in addition to the rub because of your severe heart failure.

And be careful digging the hole in the yard to properly dispose of the mustard :)

Welcome back

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

My grandmother cooked brisket in the oven quite often. She seasoned it only with salt and pepper. It was always tender and juicy. It beat the crap out of 95% of the briskets I've eaten at BBQ joints, even without the smoke profile.

Otherwise, I believe there is a Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester. Do they deliver?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

You may be better off putting the liquid smoke in a spray bottle with water, acv, or maybe even beef broth and spritz it every hour or so as you're cooking it rather than slathering it on mixed with mustard. I would use foil just because of the thought of paper near an oven heating element. Guessing the pink salt is just for a "smoke ring" and it won't take much. You know better than us how much you're allowed.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

My mother in-law cooks an absolutely killer brisket in the oven. When it's done it's pulled brisket though and not like a traditional sliced brisket. It's fantastic on tacos etc.

If you want a regular brisket experience why not just buy an electric pellet smoker? Wouldn't that solve all of your issues? Smoke flavor and only exposed to the elements for 30 seconds or less to put it on and then take it off.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Winstonsmith
Found some matches.

Hey thanks for the comments and welcome. Being retired is good and within limits I can now enjoy not banging my head against the wall and no 12-16 hour workdays

Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
Winstonsmith
Found some matches.

Already bought a char broil that has a larger firebox than the masterchef from long ago. I also have a 4 year extended no questions asked warranty because of all the hit or miss reports on reliability.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
Sopchoppy
Full Fledged Farker

I started on a CharBroil and after a long learning curve it would put out some really good pork butts and ribs. Never tried a brisket on it. The downside is baby sitting the fire as the thin metal doesn't hold heat very well. Regardless, you will enjoy the man-fire-food experience.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #9
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

It's not in my budget but, I have heard really good things about Aaron Franklin's delivered fully cooked brisket

Old 03-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #10
Winstonsmith
Found some matches.

Update- I don't know how to update the thread title but I didn't see a notice about the extended warranty, which I ordered and was told it's "unavailable". Being less than impressed and feeling a bit jerked around it's going back. Ah well as money is tight on disability maybe some other time. I'll look at pellet or propane or whatever maybe but as I say, such is life.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
Big Andy
Full Fledged Farker

Try to get some smoke on it with the Charbroil or electric for a few hours, the wrap and finish in the oven
Big Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
Winstonsmith
Found some matches.

I'm looking at a z-grill pellet smoker 573 sq inch from home depot. It seems to be rated better than electrics. Thoughts?

Old 03-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #13
Winstonsmith
Found some matches.

z-grills?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #14
NoCoPk360
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstonsmith View Post
z-grills?
It's a knock off Grilla Silverback pellet grill.
NoCoPk360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2021, 11:41 PM   #15
jwilliamson1000
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I would skip the pink salt and use Worscestershire for the binder. The suggestion salt and pepper as the rub is good. I would use 1part kosher salt, 2 parts pepper, one part each granulated garlic and onion. I could go either way on the liquid smoke. If I used it I would use just a touch.
250 until crusted, wrap with 1/4-1/2 cup liquid, 275 wrapped until done.
Good luck
jwilliamson1000 is offline   Reply With Quote