reverse sear question

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I attempted a reverse sear today for the second time and didn't have good results. I was cooking some filets and got them more medium to medium well. I was checking them with my thermapen and they were at 130 ish and then the shot up to 150 and 160. So, my question is at what temp do you guys move the heat up to do the reverse sear to get a medium rare steak? Thanks

For medium rare, I am indirect to about 115*, then sear to about 128*, and then rest to 135*ish...

For medium rare, I am indirect to about 115*, then sear to about 128*, and then rest to 135*ish...

Bingo! I second Terry.

I'll also add that I don't fully rely on the T-pen as it gives you a precise reading but at a precise point or part of the meat the needle is at. Make sure to go to the thickest part of the steak/meat and go midway and not too low or high. One problem with the T-pen is that it's too precise or too accurate. :becky:

At 130 they are already done, as mentioned above, you need to sear much earlier on. Remember, they carry over quite a bit when resting. When I do steaks, I just sear over high heat, flip every 2-3 minutes, shut the dampers and let them ride a bit until they reach the desired temp. Filets are ruined if cooked over mid rare, IMO.

Sounds weird that it shot up to 150/160 from 130. At what point did the temperature shoot up? Did you remove the food from the grill while waiting for the grill to heat up to searing temperature?

It kind of also depends on how hot your setup is for the reverse sear. If you are running somewhat lower temps, it will take some time on each side for a nice crust to develop. That time cooks the steak as well. If you run really, really hot, the crust will form faster than the inside of the steak will cook.

It kind of also depends on how hot your setup is for the reverse sear. If you are running somewhat lower temps, it will take some time on each side for a nice crust to develop. That time cooks the steak as well. If you run really, really hot, the crust will form faster than the inside of the steak will cook.

I second this - I sear mine over a 3/4 chimney with a turbo flame.

What is the advantage of doing a reverse sear?

I don't see one...I prefer to sear first, then finish...more control on the desired IT, since the grill temp is dropping at the end of the cook.

Now on longer cooks/bigger cuts, like tri-tip and the like, I do reverse.

What Terry said, except I add a rest before the sear for a little bit while the coals get blazing!

Reverse sear is best on larger cuts, an inch and a half or more.

What i like to do is get the meat close to temp and take off the heat to rest for 10 minutes while the grill gets screaming hot. This stops the cooking. Also sear as fast as possible with the lid off.

What Ninja said.

I don't try to reverse sear on something less than 1&1/2" thick, I either don't have time to get a good sear/crust or I over cook. Also, when you do a reverse sear, when it comes time to sear, make sure the lid is off. If you don't you will eithe not get a good sear/crust or you will over cook.

I did a 2" steak last night, reverse sear, started searing at 105. Still got it a little hotter than I wanted. Here is how it turned out.

image_zpstq119gfg.jpeg

What is the advantage of doing a reverse sear?

For thick cuts (>1&1/2"), it heats the entire steak up slowly, so you don't get that gradient of temps going from your seared crust, grey (overlooked) ring on the outside, then pink inside. It goes directly from seared crust to pink, minimizing the overcooked area of the steak.

Just did a 2lb ribeye Friday. Like ninja said best on thicker cuts.

Right after indirect:

Rest for ten min.

On to blazing hot coals:

The flip:

Off the coals:

Done!

I would probably take it off much sooner, maybe 80 to 85 and see how it comes out. Tobthe OP, how do you like your steaks cooked?

For thick cuts (>1&1/2"), it heats the entire steak up slowly, so you don't get that gradient of temps going from your seared crust, grey (overlooked) ring on the outside, then pink inside. It goes directly from seared crust to pink, minimizing the overcooked area of the steak.

Reverse sear is best on larger cuts, an inch and a half or more.

What i like to do is get the meat close to temp and take off the heat to rest for 10 minutes while the grill gets screaming hot. This stops the cooking. Also sear as fast as possible with the lid off.

Ok now I understand why every time I've tried reverse sear my steak gets over cooked. It is seldom that I cook steaks much over one inch thick.

Back