First charcoal-grilled turkey - zoiks almighty!

11earl

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Made my first smoked/grilled turkey for Thanksgiving - best bird I've ever made by a significant margin.

I spatchcocked the bird and did a simple salt dry brine about a day before Thanksgiving.

I decided to do an indirect grill set up on my old Weber Kettle, as I've read that the skin can potentially be rubbery on a low and slow smoker.

The set up was a combination of RO and B&B briquettes with two chunks of cherry wood on one side of the kettle and the bird on the other side with a pan with some water under it.

The temp settled in right at 375. Cooked for an hour, rotated the bird, and cooked until internal temp was 160. Let it rest, made a gravy using the drippings, carved and served. The flavor was unreal, with the meat crazy moist and juicy while the skin was a perfect crackly texture.

Even my mother - who likes and eats virtually nothing - could not stop eating it and insisted on bringing some home with her. Now *that's* a compliment.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3622.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 243
If you eat with your eyes, I'm full, but I would still like more of that great looking turkey! The color is outstanding and I'm happy to hear that it turned out to everyone's satisfaction.

It is hard to beat a good ole kettle cooked turkey! You did well :)

That looks great. It's always good to get compliments like that from family members.

Thanks so much folks - I've learned so much here thanks to you all.

Next is cleaning up my new-to-my Backwoods G2 Chubby :--).

Outstanding.
I know how good that had to be.

I did one on my Weber rotisserie last year. Best ever.

Back