MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talking Thanksgiving Ham Gifting Moved to Christmas

I had a plan to gift some carver hams to friends in time for Thanksgiving, but Sam's Club didn't have them in stock. Yesterday.... the meat case was loaded, like 75 or more. So I picked up 10 and will smoke them a few days before Christmas.

These are about 4# each and basically a ready-to-eat outside muscle, rear leg ham. These came in between $9 and $10. My standard drill is to score the fat side and season with cracked pepper. Then I smoke to 140° using a 250° pit temp. The second smoke sort of wakes up the flavor, but it's still mild. Just slightly smokier than a standard city ham.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

I'll be your friend.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #3
jkief
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

Good friend! I just smoked a spiral ham last weekend then my wife’s sister and BIL came in. My boys loved it!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Those hams are really good. Sadly, for me anyway, they are seasonal. They only get them in the store for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. They do take the smoke really well. Cooked two today along with a 10 pound turkey breast using B&B Char-logs and Hickory. For some folks it was the ham, for others the turkey. I liked them both.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #5
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

What a great idea. Always kinda just looked past those. I will be sure to check my next trip,

Old 11-25-2021, 11:33 PM   #6
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Good of you to do that for your friends.
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2021, 12:37 AM   #7
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I'm impressed that you have enough space to store those!
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
IamMadMan

Can't wait to see the finished product.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Those hams are really good. Sadly, for me anyway, they are seasonal. They only get them in the store for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. They do take the smoke really well. Cooked two today along with a 10 pound turkey breast using B&B Char-logs and Hickory. For some folks it was the ham, for others the turkey. I liked them both.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Robert
I see them on occasion during the year. I've actually had them put an order on their white board for 2 at a time, they call when they come in. The size alone makes them attractive for gift because they could be an addition to a Christmas meal, a holiday brunch or several breakfasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
I'm impressed that you have enough space to store those!
Beer fridge. At 4# and somewhat flat, they are a good fit. BTW, I have 3 home cured loin hams in there too, and still room for some beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Can't wait to see the finished product.
I'm giving them away a few days before Christmas, I'll try to post a group photo since I'll do 3 or 4 at a time in my drum. But here is a peek of the last one I did.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-28-2021, 06:36 AM   #10
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=thirdeye;4532502]I see them on occasion during the year. I've actually had them put an order on their white board for 2 at a time, they call when they come in. The size alone makes them attractive for gift because they could be an addition to a Christmas meal, a holiday brunch or several breakfasts.

Thanks for the info. What is this "White Board" that you speak of?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 11-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #11
Ylouder
On the road to being a farker

We had the same hams this year. Rubbed with brown sugar and dejoin mustard. Turned out really well.

I was a fan of the size. I like bone in ham flavor but I'm sick of ham by the time we are done with it. I'm 100 percent certain we will do one again.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #12
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

You are a good man Wayne
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #13
thirdeye

[QUOTE=Robert;4532616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I see them on occasion during the year. I've actually had them put an order on their white board for 2 at a time, they call when they come in. The size alone makes them attractive for gift because they could be an addition to a Christmas meal, a holiday brunch or several breakfasts.

Thanks for the info. What is this "White Board" that you speak of?

Thanks,

Robert
It's one of those erasable dry marker and magnetic white boards. My Sam's has one in the back to keep track of orders that businesses or individuas call-in and I would guess general memo's and such. So when you pre-order something or ask that they hold back something for you, your name and phone number are added to 'the board'.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

[QUOTE=thirdeye;4532693]
Quote:

It's one of those erasable dry marker and magnetic white boards. My Sam's has one in the back to keep track of orders that businesses or individuas call-in and I would guess general memo's and such. So when you pre-order something or ask that they hold back something for you, your name and phone number are added to 'the board'.
This is how I get the short ribs (plate) from them.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #15
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=thirdeye;4532693]
Quote:

Good to know. I've never seen one, so I will have to look for it or inquire about it.

Thanks for the info.

Robert