Moose made me do it

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I’ve wanted a pizza oven for awhile now but never came across the right deal…it seemed like they were hard to find for a period of time too. Seeing all of Moose’s great pies didn’t make it easier :becky: although I’m too late for the pizza throwdown and I still have a bit of a learning curve to deal with, I’m excited to perfect the craft.

Ace Hardware has the Ooni Koda 16” for 20% off right now (so does Ooni on their website) I wanted instant gratification so I got it locally.

The build quality is really nice, I feel I got what I paid for.

I don’t have much experience making dough or leavening bread but here I am, my dough ball “doubled in size” so I guess we are good.

Mixed up a pizza sauce loosely following a couple different recipes

Half cheese, half pepperoni for the kids.

Precooking the sausage

Spicy Italian sausage, pepperoni, red onion for the adults.

They turned out pretty good for my first time…I had some issues with the pies sticking to the peel, I thought I’d floured it enough and assembled them quickly but still had problems. Maybe next time I’ll use some cornmeal mixed in? I also think I should have worked the dough differently when spreading and I may have collapsed some of the air bubbles the yeast made. Lastly, I didn’t turn the heat down enough after putting the pizza in so the center of the crust was acceptable and edible by hand, but maybe a bit softer than I’d have liked.

I’m hooked and want to make some more, maybe one day I can crank out pizzas like Moose :thumb:

Looks awesome! I love our Ooni.

For launching, I use a wooden peel and either semolina flour or cornmeal.
Give the dough a shake prior to loading it up to make sure it’s loose.
It works ‘most’ of the time for me. But I’m still learning.

Well .... to keep up with Moose ... you're going to have to get his no fail pizza shovel pie launcher ... can't remember the name .... but your pie does look good. I have a campchef oven and will assemble the dough on parchment paper then into the oven .... wait a little then pull the paper out.

They look nice, especially for your maiden voyage. I can see a lot of pizza nights in the future.

Well .... to keep up with Moose ... you're going to have to get his no fail pizza shovel pie launcher ... can't remember the name .... but your pie does look good. I have a campchef oven and will assemble the dough on parchment paper then into the oven .... wait a little then pull the paper out.

Thanks for the tip!

Your pizza, especially for the first go-round, looks real tasty. I picked up the pizza deal from the boys on this website and Moose is also one of the most guilty parties in my corruption. My daughter is in law school. When she gets out, maybe we can class-action him... :-D

Oh, did I somehow miss a deal that was posted???

Looks like you're getting the hang of it!

Love our UUNI (have one of the old ones)! :becky:

I need to go fire her up and get back into the pie cooking action again soon!

That looks perfect!

Use semolina flour on the peel. It lets the pizza slide off better and it doesn’t burn on the stone.

Give the peel a little shake to make sure it is loose. If not, lift the edge of the pizza up and blow under it.

Nice pies!

As noted, use a little semolina on the peel and you will be golden. Wooden peel for launching and metal one for turning, rotating.

Super peel is the name of the wooden peel with the fabric on it. I used one briefly at the beginning of my pizza journey as it’s one less thing to worry about when you are dealing with 90 second cooks and scorching temps and dialing in your HR and sauce, etc., but I haven’t used it in many years. Once you get the hang of a peel and a dash of semolina, you are golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OONI’s are a lot of fun. I need to get back into it. One of the best things about them, is you can have restaurant quality (or better) pizza in less than five minutes (usually no more than two in fact).

Have fun!

You just cost me $700. :cool: Roccbox with the wood burner 2.0 on they way. Love my Blackstone to death but was itching for a new pizza toy and your post pushed me over the edge. :doh:

Oh and parchment paper will fix all the dough sticking issues. :nod:

Last edited:
Roccbox with the wood burner 2.0 on they way.

Why Roccbox over Ooni? Asking cuz my Daughter is getting one (Ooni pro unless I convince them otherwise) for their outdoor kitchen.

Congrats on the pizza oven, Neal! Magic starts to happen to pizza when the oven can exceed temps of 600+. Looking forward to seeing more pizza from you soon!

Back