• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Still crazy!

Funny you mention that. I have been pretty convinced that using the "smoke pot" method in a kamado was the best way to go (search on Komodo Kamado & kamado guru forums), but after reading these posts, this seems way easier. With that being said, the smoke pot approach works very, very well.

Thinking about it, I don't really like having to put a cast iron pot in the cooker and dealing with all that. I'll report when I do a cook using this approach.

I used the smoke pot approach and it works well. This approach will work in any charcoal, stickburner, pit, hole in the ground, etc. It gives you a very clean flavor. For people that like a strong smoke flavor you probably won’t like it. I think it’s wise to try several different methods or smoker types to find out what works well with you. This isn’t the be all end all method to smoke meat but burning wood down to embers and cooking with those embers has been around since literally the very beginning so it has a long standing track record for being a viable way to cook at least lol.
I’m personally still biased towards pellet cooking. As I may have said earlier I just wanted an easy way to burn a clean wood fire in a charcoal smoker. Different ways to skin the proverbial cat.

One thing I’m gonna continue to experiment with is how far I’m gonna burn the embers down on different cooks. Currently I got it dialed in to produce TBS for 15 minutes followed by transparent smoke. This gives me a lighter smoke flavor.

Last edited:
I tried the smoker pot approach on the first pork butt on the primo, it was just ok. Not as distinct smoke flavor as on my WSM, but I guess that’s to be expected. Need to keep experimenting with it, but am going to give this method a go as well. Thanks for the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the smoker pot approach on the first pork butt on the primo, it was just ok. Not as distinct smoke flavor as on my WSM, but I guess that’s to be expected. Need to keep experimenting with it, but am going to give this method a go as well. Thanks for the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah give it a shot. This is a good approach for people that like a lighter yet very clean smoke profile. Smoke flavor preferences are very individual. There isn’t a right or wrong flavor preference lol.

Back