MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #16
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great post!! Thanks for the inspiration.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Fantabulous Brent.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #18
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

Folks, I tried this technique last Friday with some chicken thighs and pecan wood after Brent posted about it on 8/13. Do yourself a favor and try it out. It works great!
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM59 View Post
Folks, I tried this technique last Friday with some chicken thighs and pecan wood after Brent posted about it on 8/13. Do yourself a favor and try it out. It works great!
I’ve tried cherry, apple, hickory, and mesquite so far. I need to try pecan soon with this technique. I can’t find pecan chunks in the store unfortunately.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=274655

This is the thread he is talking about by the way

Old 08-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #20
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKray View Post
Do you think this technique would work on a kamado? I recently got a primo xl and am trying to figure out the best way to get clean smoke at low & slow temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny you mention that. I have been pretty convinced that using the "smoke pot" method in a kamado was the best way to go (search on Komodo Kamado & kamado guru forums), but after reading these posts, this seems way easier. With that being said, the smoke pot approach works very, very well.

Thinking about it, I don't really like having to put a cast iron pot in the cooker and dealing with all that. I'll report when I do a cook using this approach.

Last edited by Jcmhc; 08-18-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Jcmhc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #21
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmhc View Post
Funny you mention that. I have been pretty convinced that using the "smoke pot" method in a kamado was the best way to go (search on Komodo Kamado & kamado guru forums), but after reading these posts, this seems way easier. With that being said, the smoke pot approach works very, very well.

Thinking about it, I don't really like having to put a cast iron pot in the cooker and dealing with all that. I'll report when I do a cook using this approach.
I used the smoke pot approach and it works well. This approach will work in any charcoal, stickburner, pit, hole in the ground, etc. It gives you a very clean flavor. For people that like a strong smoke flavor you probably won’t like it. I think it’s wise to try several different methods or smoker types to find out what works well with you. This isn’t the be all end all method to smoke meat but burning wood down to embers and cooking with those embers has been around since literally the very beginning so it has a long standing track record for being a viable way to cook at least lol.
I’m personally still biased towards pellet cooking. As I may have said earlier I just wanted an easy way to burn a clean wood fire in a charcoal smoker. Different ways to skin the proverbial cat.

One thing I’m gonna continue to experiment with is how far I’m gonna burn the embers down on different cooks. Currently I got it dialed in to produce TBS for 15 minutes followed by transparent smoke. This gives me a lighter smoke flavor.

Last edited by BKING!; 08-18-2019 at 06:34 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #22
DKray
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : David

I tried the smoker pot approach on the first pork butt on the primo, it was just ok. Not as distinct smoke flavor as on my WSM, but I guess that’s to be expected. Need to keep experimenting with it, but am going to give this method a go as well. Thanks for the idea!

DKray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #23
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKray View Post
I tried the smoker pot approach on the first pork butt on the primo, it was just ok. Not as distinct smoke flavor as on my WSM, but I guess that’s to be expected. Need to keep experimenting with it, but am going to give this method a go as well. Thanks for the idea!

Yeah give it a shot. This is a good approach for people that like a lighter yet very clean smoke profile. Smoke flavor preferences are very individual. There isn’t a right or wrong flavor preference lol.