Smoker build question

Jokerswild

Found some matches.
Reaction score
We have a 275 gallon tank on a trailer. looking to start the build with a buddy this winter. Looking for pros and cons of a vertical drum or laying it flat. My buddy wants flat for more surface room. I favor vertical for more height adjustment on the cooking surface. . Thoughts? Experiences?

What are the dimensions of this tank? If you went with a vertical build will you be able to fabricate a base so it won't be top heavy and risk falling over?

Not going to add external firebox for offset I take it? My first thought was offset, horizontal, set the grates for max headroom. No need to adjust height with offset is there? Gives maximum cooking surface. But if you want to go direct that would be different.

I vote horizontal. If it were better to do vertical that’s all you would see. The surface area is a huge plus, but when I was researching, I seem to recall some people who did vertical all-in-one unit (UDS style) had drafting problems with that big of a unit. I think with vertical you would have more temp difference also. You do you. If you don’t like it, you can always redo it. Just for fun. Happy t-day!

Back