MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #31
DFoster
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparctek View Post
I have not had it fully loaded with brisket yet. The most briskets I have cooked at one time is 3. Two of them (about 13 lbs each) fit on one rack the 3rd one was about 15 lbs and I put that on the rack above the other 2. There was room there for a smaller brisket on the second rack.

I will say that I rotated the briskets between the 2 racks from time to time. I just felt they cooked more evenly and to my liking by rotating them.

Hope that helps...
That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
DFoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #32
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFoster View Post
How many 14-16lb briskets can you fit on your cooker?
I've never loaded it up but would like to think 8 would be the maximum if they were trimmed properly.

Edit: The more I think about it the number is likely closer to 6 with 4 on the bottom running front to back and two on the top running left to right. You lose a little space on the top shelf due to the curve of the pipe.

Last edited by txsmkmstr; 02-09-2018 at 10:10 AM..
txsmkmstr is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFoster View Post
What are your Pro’s/Con’s between all 3? Did you ever use your grill top and hot plate with the 1/4” or 1/2”?
I NEVER did use that grill top feature... Things in and around a firebox tend to rust without a LOT of attention. That was on a 1/4" firebox, which gets blazing hot to stand next to - instant burn if you simply brush up by it. This particular pit was just too small for my purpose.

The 1/2" F/B was about the same but did not have the grill top as most 1/2" upgrades kill that feature. Still got raging hot and had to fabricate a heat deflector to take advantage of the "utensil hooks" the pit manufacturer installed 3" away from the F/B. This particular pit was just too large for my purpose.

The cabinet smoker... well, I liked the exterior never got hot enough to burn you but ultimately decided that charcoal and smoldering wood chunks were not the flavor profile I preferred. This after a three year run so it wasn't a quick decision to go back to an offset.

So... After ten plus years in this hobby I finally figured out what I wanted and got LSG to build it for me. Over one year later the firebox still looks brand new, the fun factor is there, the pit is easy to run and the flavor profile is spot on for my tastes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #34
Dinkle
On the road to being a farker

I got a 20x48 LSG with the 1/2 inch upgrade and grill top firebox. I wanted the increased firebox life with the half inch upgrade. I can fit two 15 pound packers on it.
Dinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #35
DFoster
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
I NEVER did use that grill top feature... Things in and around a firebox tend to rust without a LOT of attention. That was on a 1/4" firebox, which gets blazing hot to stand next to - instant burn if you simply brush up by it. This particular pit was just too small for my purpose.

The 1/2" F/B was about the same but did not have the grill top as most 1/2" upgrades kill that feature. Still got raging hot and had to fabricate a heat deflector to take advantage of the "utensil hooks" the pit manufacturer installed 3" away from the F/B. This particular pit was just too large for my purpose.

The cabinet smoker... well, I liked the exterior never got hot enough to burn you but ultimately decided that charcoal and smoldering wood chunks were not the flavor profile I preferred. This after a three year run so it wasn't a quick decision to go back to an offset.

So... After ten plus years in this hobby I finally figured out what I wanted and got LSG to build it for me. Over one year later the firebox still looks brand new, the fun factor is there, the pit is easy to run and the flavor profile is spot on for my tastes.

Hope this helps.
That helps a lot. Thank you for all the input and wisdom, I really appreciate it.
DFoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #36
DFoster
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkle View Post
I got a 20x48 LSG with the 1/2 inch upgrade and grill top firebox. I wanted the increased firebox life with the half inch upgrade. I can fit two 15 pound packers on it.

Do you use the grill top? And if you do, how do you like it? Or do you wish you would have just gotten the insulated firebox?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #37
Dinkle

I used to grill with old smokey and weber kettles I don't anymore because I only grill with my LSG. The dual rack levels in the firebox let you sear and roast your Meats perfectly
Dinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #38
charcoalwilly
Full Fledged Farker

DFoster - I recently went though same LSG decision and opted for the 1/4. I actually explored buying without the griddle/grill top and lid because it seemed like yet another area for rust to collect. But then couple of guys reminded me that the griddle top serves another purpose which is to act as heat buffer, protecting the paint on top of firebox from burning off.

So the standard option of griddle/grill top is basically giving you 1/2 thick steel on top of firebox at no additional charge. The other aspect is that you are adding a lot of weight with 1/2 or insulated. Now think about how long it takes to heat up all that steel on a cold day! Just a thought...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #39
Ruben Cortinas
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nature Boy

I have the 24/60 with the 1/2 upgrade and am well satisfied with the extra thickness. I have noticed a small saving of a stick or two over a 10-12 hr cook. It doens really well at retaining and recovering temp. I used it on New Year’s Eve when it was 15f with the wind from the north at night and it held I own. I use then grilling top every once in a while as it is a easy to use and maintain. Buy
What you will want now as you will always have that maybe I should have thought
Ruben Cortinas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #40
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypat21 View Post
I also have a vertical offset with standard firebox. I personally feel that in the California climate you don't need to upgrade the firebox and can put that money towards other upgrades. Like Sako I am adding a split every 30 to 45 minutes. I have only used the firebox grill top a handful of times but it works great and I love having the option to use the griddle. I own 2 Weber charcoal grills so I use those for convenience on smaller cooks. If I could add something that I didn't get when I ordered I would extend the stainless steel shelf out more to hold full size aluminum pans. I love everything about the smoker, have no complaints.

Which part of California climate? Around SF I have constant thick fog and wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2020, 04:18 AM   #41
gracebbq
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Timothy
Default Lonestar horizontal offset smoker

Do any of you guys know if the insulated fire box option will increase time between adding splits?
gracebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #42
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracebbq View Post
Do any of you guys know if the insulated fire box option will increase time between adding splits?
An insulated F/B shouldn't change the rate of burn so I'd say "no". It's likely a smaller fire will be needed when compared to a standard box - that may actually require more frequent addition of splits to maintain your coal base. I add a small split about every 30 minutes with my insulated F/B set up. Simply put, you'll use less wood in the long run.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #43
Kai Yaker

Name/Nickname : Kai

This pitmaster talked about the pros/cons of insulated verse partially insulated fireboxes. I thought it was pretty good. His fire management lesson is also on point.

Cheers

Yaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF20JGAT5K0
Kat Reverse Flow, Yoder YS640s, BGE, UDS #1, UDS #2, :fencing:
Kai Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote