MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
AK
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : AK Smoking
Default Air Compressor Build

Im new to the forum. Peoples builds look awesome and I have been wanting to do my own build for a while now. I found a 5’ long by 19” air compressor up here in Alaska. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on if it’s too small to mess with? I like how long it is but after seeing it in person I’m wonderinf if I should wait for something closer to 22”-26” to build. I’m not looking to do a reverse flow. I just want a traditional offset smoker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D576C4DB-35B2-4959-82C2-7CFF2E2AFEA3.jpg (6.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg A8605668-A90D-404A-A5EE-E50AEBC9F268.jpg (73.8 KB, 209 views)
AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd want a bigger diameter for a reverse flow. Cut it off at 42- 48" and build a traditional flow........

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

That size will work for an offset. I just measured my Old Braunsfels offset and it's 16"W X 34"L with a firebox of 16"W X 17"L. It's a small offset but works fine and will hold a brisket and a butt.

I think you can make a good backyard smoker out of it. Check out Allen's welding and you should be able to pick up some tips. I like that he used the cut out door for a bottom pan for coals and that squared off door to get more room inside. This is a pit but you can add a firebox and it should be a nice setup for home use.

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYxo9h6Jtdg

2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvSgdDOP2qU&t=1s

Square door method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZw6u83CC28
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome to the Brethren and best of luck with your build!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
AK
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : AK Smoking

Thanks for the responses. I don’t see myself getting crazy to be throwing lots of briskets on, especially for the price here in Alaska, $60-$90 for 13lbs of brisket. I’m not sure if the going rate in the lower 48.

I plan on using it for fish. I’m a fan of smoking it on the grill. Usually around 200 degrees with chunks and lump charcoal on my Weber kettle. Need an upgrade bad. I am making a smokehouse and just need to put the plywood up. But that’s for when I can salmon.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
busmania
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

I made a reverse flow with a 30 gallon compressor tank. From your dimensions I’d imagine that tank is around 60 gallons? I think mine was around 16” x 32”. If worked ok but I think at the time I didn’t really understand fire management. I need to break it out again now that I understand fire management. My fire was always dirty smoke but I think that’s because I used too big of logs. If I ever resurrect it, I’d used 3-4 pieces of charcoal to get it lit and then use small wood chunks instead of small logs. Doesn’t take much to get something that small going. Build it! I think you’ll be fine!
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
robbie71
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Robbie

Briskets may be expensive in Alaska but you've got the best fishing in the world (IMHO) and Hunting! I can't imagine having fresh salmon, ling cod, rock fish and halibut to smoke; not to mention moose and caribou. I'd be throwing rock at that old brisket!

Tags
Air compressor, air compressor tank