• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

RecTec whole chicken...tips

AWilliams

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Done lots of chicken parts, fish and baby backs on my Stampede. Want to try a whole chicken this time. I want the smokiness and crispy skin...is this possible? Maybe start out at 200* w/ smoke for 1.5 hours and crank up to 400* to finish or get a smoke tube and use at high temp for entire cook? Thanks

EDIT: I don't actually have a smoke tube but read I could put a smoke pouch with pellets or wood chips on the diffuser plate?

Last edited:
Never cooked on a pellet cooker but having cooked lots of whole chickens I would say get rid as much fat under the skin as you can. Paper thin skin is a plus. Dry out the skin by putting into the fridge overnight uncovered and pat dry the skin with paper towels before and after this step. Maybe a light coat of oil to help the rub stick, no spritzing and go 375+ the whole time. A smoke pouch or something to get extra smoke may help since it's a pellet cooker. If you glaze make sure it's warm/hot and allow it to set. It may not look extra pretty especially if you get a little char here and there but the skin will be nice and edible. Spatch cocking the bird helps keep it moist but cooking in half really helps in getting rid of the fat under the skin of the breast, since it's easier to get under after you split it.

patch-cock, dry brine with k-salt uncovered in frig a couple hrs or more, high heat the whole cook, plenty of smoke for me

Back