MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chicken Question

I am planning to smoke up some spatchcock chicken for thanksgiving(not enough people at this one to warrant a turkey). Anyway, I am not sure if I should smoke it up Wednesday night, refrigerate it, and then heat it up in the oven on Thursday, or get up really early on Thursday, smoke it, and then hold it in a cooler until time to eat(we are eating at noon). Although I would prefer to do it Wednesday night, I will get up early if it makes a real difference. I have never done chicken ahead of time before, so I don't really know if it is any good reheated the next day.
What are your opinions?
Are there any specific techniques that I should be doing if I want to do the reheat thing?

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would just do it in the morning. Obviously the size of the bird will matter but it shouldn't take that long to cook. I actually did one on Sunday that took a little over 2 hours to cook at a temp around 300*. I don't remember the exact size of that bird though. I did brine overnight as well.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Did 2 on sunday as well. 4-5 lbs each. I usually cook at 350 for up to 1.5 hours but it was windy so only got to 300 and took 2 hours. Brined for 6 hours.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook chickens at all different ranges of temperature, if you want smoke, smoke it for 30 mins at 300F, then ramp up and finish at 450F. A little baste of olive oil or butter makes for a good skin just before the high temperature.

I think it makes a difference, I hate reheated chicken, unless I planned for it by just undercooking the chicken the first.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote