MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Smokingking
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Burgers

I am doing burgers now on my mes 40 , the internal meat temp. is 156 and doing it at 225-250 , I understood to leave them until 165 , any help would be helpful , I just got this for Christmas and this is my third try.
Smokingking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Can't say I have ever bothered with the IT of burgers. I cook till the juices run clear. Are you reverse searing them? Good luck.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Biggun
On the road to being a farker

Get 'em off the fire now; they're pretty well done...
Biggun is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingking View Post
I am doing burgers now on my mes 40 , the internal meat temp. is 156 and doing it at 225-250 , I understood to leave them until 165 , any help would be helpful , I just got this for Christmas and this is my third try.
Yeah you should have eaten them at 140 degrees. Are they some frozen suspect burgers?

BTW, save the low and slow for the tough cuts like brisket and pork shoulder. You want as close to thermo nuclear as possible for your burgers, cooked quickly. Forget this reverse sear whatever, cook quick, keep the juices! Here is a video I just did on burgers:

[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

enjoy your well done burgers!!!

oh, i reversed seared some thick burgers i made with meat i ground myself the other day and they were awesome!! i think it gives the meat time to take on some smoke flavor. definitely not necessary though.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Smokingking
Got rid of the matchlight.

I pulled them at 165 but they were still pink and not done so I put them back in and upped the temp. to 275 and in 1 hour the internal meat temp. was at 180 so I pulled them again and they were well done and had the smoke taste and was not tough at all , 225-235 smoker temp. must be too low on an electric smoker. Appreciate everyones output and help in this and will test and try this toy until I become a pro at it lol
Smokingking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

According to Meathead at AmazingRibs, ground beef is supposed to hit 160 for about 5 to 10 seconds to kill any e-coli that may be present. It will die at lower temps but takes more time. If you go reverse sear, cook indirect until you can get the internal burger temp at 145 or higher for 4 minutes, then sear to your crust liking.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ety.html#ecoli

Burger info is about half way down that page.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You're getting to scientific again. KISS
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

If I ground the meat myself, I cook it to 125. If I bought ground meat, I cook it to 160.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Not everyone eats burgers that are pink. I am one that perfers a completely cooked burger. I do agree with Bigabyte that if you grind the meat yourself, then you can cook to an internal temp of 125-140. IMO, store bought ground meat has to be cooked to 160-165.
I have smoked burgers before at 250 until an internal temp of 165. They were a great color, juicy and flavorful.