• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Getting snobbish about our BBQ

This registers somewhere deep in me. I lost my mother to cancer last month, she was 56. "Life is too short" and it can change in an instant. People have a lot to offer if you give them the chance. It is important to see beyond all the distractions life can place in our way. Thank you for sharing this. My thoughts are with his family.... I truly feel for them.

Cancer sucks ass................:sad:

Yes it does! I would bet to say, all of us here have probably known someone who have lost their life to it. I am thankful to say that my Mom just won her battle against breast cancer and I'm praying that it stays in remission. Life must go on and we must cherish every day we are blessed with those we care about.

56! My God, that is too young. What a terrible loss for you and your family.

I sure do miss my mom and dad. And many friends along the way. This is why I might choose to cook a certain way for myself, but, will cook however my family and friends wish to eat, as their being happy is far more important to me, than cooking BBQ on my terms.

I wrote the original passage that this thread is based on, yet somehow I missed in when LD reposted it. I am sad to say that my friend passed on last fall, after living nearly a year longer than he was supposed to. He was a great guy who wore a smile until his dying day.

Although pretty much everyone here takes their Q seriously, I think most recognize that Q'ing is really just an excuse to share time with friends and family. Don't ever forget that.

Your original post really moved me and help me further articulate something I'd already seen and felt. It came at a time for me when my father was beginning his decline as cancer was sucking his life away.

I used to write a lot about his idea of BBQ vs. mine. We were complete BBQ opposites. And yet, the time spent behind the grill with him to this day is some of the best time in my life. I cherish every memory.

We lost him last July. I would love to tell you that cancer took him mercifully fast; it didn't. It was slow, and aweful.

I haven't cooked BBQ since his passing, but the old Lang is looking mighty pitiful sitting there unused. I think it's time I made a few more friends, and rekindled a few old friendships.

LD,

In the last 6-7 years I have had incidents that caused me to reexamine how I look at life. All through my 30's I thought I was 25 and bulletproof. There was always tomorrow.

Now in my early 40's, I have come to realize that life really is too short. The subject of the original post was early 50's when he passed last year. I had another friend who was 42. He was a huge runner and very fit. He went for a jog after work and died from a massive heart attack. Yet another friend (43), also very fit, was recently diagnosed with colon cancer.

I am determined to live my life and enjoy every minute I can with family and friends. Barbeque is just one of the ways I do it.

David

Your original post really moved me and help me further articulate something I'd already seen and felt. It came at a time for me when my father was beginning his decline as cancer was sucking his life away.

I used to write a lot about his idea of BBQ vs. mine. We were complete BBQ opposites. And yet, the time spent behind the grill with him to this day is some of the best time in my life. I cherish every memory.

We lost him last July. I would love to tell you that cancer took him mercifully fast; it didn't. It was slow, and aweful.

I haven't cooked BBQ since his passing, but the old Lang is looking mighty pitiful sitting there unused. I think it's time I made a few more friends, and rekindled a few old friendships.

Everything has been very well said. I can't believe I haven't seen this post till now. I have always loved to cook,but didn't get into comp until I was encouraged by my mom 3 yrs ago... 1 yr before I watched that wretched thing called cancer take her. She built my fist box....this post makes me tear up and smile at the same time. Thank you for bringing this post up again.

Many powerful posts in this thread. Prayers and best wishes for all who have lost loved ones. Maybe doing a bbq in memory of someone that has passed would be therapeutic.

My dad taught me how to grill. I cooked my first comp with my dad in 2010. He had no idea what he was doing but loved the people, helping me do something we liked together and the fun competition. We didn't do worth a crap but had a blast. One experienced team told us our stuff was good and that made the day. He passed away in 2012 and I wish he could share in the fun again.

Your "to-do" list may not be done but go find some time to hug the wife, play with the kids or grandkids and call a friend...just because.

I hear ya! :clap2:

I think a lot of arguing about BBQ is lighthearted smack talk, but it can get silly. If it tastes good, I'll eat it - I don't care how it got there! :hungry:

I think food is only a part of BBQ. The gathering of friends and loved ones, as well as making new friends, is a huge part of the deal IMO.

Nicely put.

I lived in Texas for 27 years and me and my family (well only mom and sister) moved to Southern California because we were having very hard times. Both my grandparents lived here and we didn't know how badly they were. My grandmother had lung cancer, COPD amongst other things. Well on March 12th my grandfather died of lung cancer and on Thanksgiving Day my grandmother died. When I first got here I quit smoking and haven't smoked at all for 2.5 years because seeing them helpless to what was happening changed me. Made me realize life is short and what you do now not only effects you but it effects everyone in your life. Live life to the fullest because you only have 1.

Damn, I havn't seen my daughter and grandson for a while. I gotta get them over here.

My brother helped me put together my first UDS a while back. A few days after it was completed, I got a package from him in the mail. It was a bottle opener for me to attach to the side. He knows me too well. If I'm smokin, chances are that I'm drinking a beer. If I'm drinking a beer, I'm probably with people I care about. I'm brand new to the Brethren and this is the first thread I've read and it seems I picked a good one. Raising my cold yellow beer to you now!

=shypes;2858543]My brother helped me put together my first UDS a while back. A few days after it was completed, I got a package from him in the mail. It was a bottle opener for me to attach to the side. He knows me too well. If I'm smokin, chances are that I'm drinking a beer. If I'm drinking a beer, I'm probably with people I care about. I'm brand new to the Brethren and this is the first thread I've read and it seems I picked a good one. Raising my cold yellow beer to you now!

Welcome. This is a great place and its good to have u.

I appreciate this thread. My 46YO brother just passed away Jan 29th from colon cancer. He battled for 3 years. The cancer had spread to his lungs and liver. Life is very short. His passing has prompted a lot of thought about priorities and the importance of friends and family. LOL I have a brother who lives in Alaska. He has always wanted to ride his Harley from Alaska to Va. He sold his older bike and just purchased a new one. Took the entire month of August off from work and will be marking this off his "bucket list". We never know what tomorrow holds for us.

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost family and friends.

Kind of been avoiding this thread, it brings back a flood of memories.

Last year I made my first and only thread in the "Discussion and Reflection" section of the Brethren when a dear friend shot himself.
His death sent me over the edge.
Having lost one friend to cancer, one to hanging, my ex-husband, my best friend (Christmas, new years, hanging out, fishing buddy), a sibling---that I still can't talk about, (helped me get through when my parents died).....all of these in a year.
His suicide just blew me away.
Not sure that I've ever felt so lost before.

It was the Brethren who helped me deal with the loss. It was my friends at the Brethren who convinced me to keep cooking when I didn't even have the will to eat.
I can't thank my Brethren friends enough. There are some amazing people here. :cool:

Like Greg said. There's more to BBQ than just food. Friends and family, whether they are online or sittin' at your kitchen table, are the most important.

Recently someone said they weren't going to look at my posts anymore because it made them feel "jealous". To me, that's not what BBQ or this forum is about. It's about offering a chair to a friend to "pull up" to your table and share what you've cooked. I do that with my close friends at home and feel the same about my online Brethren friends.
I thought about my posts and wondered what I am doing wrong. Will just keep posting til I figure it out. Life's too short....

I have had so much wonderful, freely given advice and opine on this board...BBQ Bandit, QTR, Boshizzle, Cowgirl and others....I have never met these good people but I do consider them friends... through que. Don't know of another board with such nice, helpful people.....JMHO....good folks make you feel good just being around them.....

Thank you!! I consider you to be a great friend too. :hug:

Back