MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Breaking in the UDS - Lot's O' Pron

After reading thousands of posts about building and cooking with a UDS, I decided to try to build one myself over the holidays. I salvaged the cooking grate, charcoal grate and lid off of a 22.5 Weber that I found on Craigslist and I bought a 55 gallon drum from a local salvage yard for $10. I followed the directions on the How a Redneck Would Build a UDS thread and was surprised at how easy the thing was to build. I decided to break it in today since the weather was fairly mild here in MD. I spent about an hour or so messing around with the vents and getting used to raising and lowering the temperature. Here is a photo of my new UDS. The Weber lid fit the top perfectly:

I found some chicken wings and boneless chicken thighs in the freezer and decided they would an easy cook for my first UDS bbq. First step was to marinate them for a few hours and then rub them with some homemade rub:

After that it was onto the smoker at 230* for about 2 1/2 hours. I smoked them using cherry wood (my favorite for pork and chicken). The smell coming from the drum while they cooked was unbelievable. The hardest part was not lifting up the lid to peek while they smoked.

The UDS held the temperature like a champ and really didn't need any attention once I got it to the temp I wanted. The last step was to raise the temp to crisp up the skin on the wings:

The thighs came out perfect! After using the UDS I now understand the rational for not using indirect heat as the juices that drip off the meat help to create steam and keep everything moist. Here are the finished thighs:

The wings were good but could have used a little more time at high heat as the skin was still a little rubbery.

The family rated the meat as an 11 out of 10. Not bad for the fist time. Can't wait to cook some ribs on it!
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

GREAT JOB.. Hold on to your patents. I am finishing mine myself!

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
smokemaster1
Full Fledged Farker

Perfection! That's a cooking machine!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice pr0n!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont know about all the patents Pitmaster T is talking about. But the UDS is an awesome rig!!! I love mine! I used to have abig stickburner and I am not so sure I wouldnt put my UDS up against it?
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyokie View Post
I dont know about all the patents Pitmaster T is talking about. But the UDS is an awesome rig!!! I love mine! I used to have abig stickburner and I am not so sure I wouldnt put my UDS up against it?

I am willing to bet you are right. I have two other stick burners, The Brazos and the Meat Mama 3000 - both quite famous and large..... but this UDS I am building my give me back my desire to cook for myself. Its a hassle cooking 70 or so briskets at once. I need to have a good piece like the UDS to experiments some more.... or just burn some meat at a low cost. The efficency and the long burn w/o the hassle.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I am willing to bet you are right. I have two other stick burners, The Brazos and the Meat Mama 3000 - both quite famous and large..... but this UDS I am building my give me back my desire to cook for myself. Its a hassle cooking 70 or so briskets at once. I need to have a good piece like the UDS to experiments some more.... or just burn some meat at a low cost. The efficency and the long burn w/o the hassle.
I have seen on here your mammoth cookers! they are awesome!!! I had a large RF stick burner and decided that cooking for 100+ people was more than I was ready to totally commit too( got a 16 yo and an 11 yo), so I committed the cardinal BBQ sin and sold it. I built myself a UDS and have been totally surprised at the ease of use and the quality of food produced on it. I am in the process of building an isulated cabinet smoker under the same principle of a UDS, for larger cooks...
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Outstanding, looks good from here!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice job!

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

My UDS is my Goto Butt Burner, best 60 buc investment I ever made!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
My UDS is my Goto Butt Burner, best 60 buc investment I ever made!
True that! Considering that over half of my cost was the thermostat, not a bad investment.
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
davefan360
Take a breath!

Looks nice to me. You will love your new uds. Enjoy it will cook nice in the snow too. Try wrapping it in a wellding blanket too keep it warm.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Kick arse chicken there!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
t_ron99
Found some matches.

Looks good. I should build me one of those.
t_ron99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
BobM
Babbling Farker

That is one fine looking cook, great job!

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote