First smoker need recommendation

Jhmaty

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I’m new to “the brethren “ and smoking. Any recommendations for a beginners first smoker. Id like to start out doing ribs, brisket tri-tip, chicken.
Thanks, maty

I might suggest you also ask this question in the Q-Talk section also. If you let us know your budget and what kind of fuel you prefer that would be helpful also.

My recommendation would be to check out the Pellet cookers, lots of price range, beginner friendly and puts out really good Q.

Good luck and welcome to the Brethren!

Starting off with Brisket has probabaly left a bad taste in most first time smokers than any other meat. I started off with whole chicken and pork butt. Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site from SC. With what you’re wanting to cook, I would start with a WSM for charcoal or a OK Joe for stick burning. IMO, wood burning gives a much better smoke finish to the meat.

Good luck and good smoking, Joe

The obvious answer, since you are in Colorado, would be a UDS.
You can buy one like a Pit Barrel Cooker (500 or so??) or make your own.
(I have about $150 in mine, but I had tools and extra grates laying around.)
And the PBC has more features and is way nicer.

I'd start with boneless, or bone-in (NO skin) pork shoulder, also known as Boston Butt or Shoulder Butt. Do that on the cheap, forgiving meat a bunch of times
and learn your smoker and give pulled pork away to neighbors, friends, they will love it. Then try ribs, I'd do 2 racks of full spares at a time just to learn ribs.
They are easier and more lenient than St. Louis spares or baby backs. (imo).

Then try to cook BluDawg's Brisket.

Another cooker idea is an Insulated Cabinet like a Humphrey's pint.
Since you are in Colorado.

There are others out there, good luck.

Another one post and done. It's annoying, since the answer to ANY

BBQ question is ALWAYS UDS. sheesh.....
some people....

Pit barrel cooker. It's $300 to your door and super easy to use. Also has a monster thread on here for learning and support. Pellet cooker is another decent recommendation but to get a decent one is much more expensive.

I might suggest you also ask this question in the Q-Talk section also.

Rather than have two threads in two sections of the forum I'll move this one to QTalk :-D

WSM is what i learned on. Easy to use and you figure out what you like to cook.

The biggest question was asked and that is what is your price range You can go pretty inexpensive to a lot

I came here with the same question last year about this time. I had smoked on my Weber kettle, but wanted a dedicated smoker.

I was down to the WSM and the Pit Barrel Cooker. I went with the PBC and have never regretted it. I’ve cooked everything on your list except tri-tip and brisket (about to fix that) and it’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m new to “the brethren “ and smoking. Any recommendations for a beginners first smoker. Id like to start out doing ribs, brisket tri-tip, chicken.
Thanks, maty
What cookers do you already own? How many are you cooking for? How much time can you spend tending a smoker? That would help us to give you an answer. For example, ceramic cookers, kettles, even gassers can put out smoked food. I only own Weber kettles and have been smoking for decades. Smoked everything on your list and more. Even after a short time reading here, you should be able to narrow down whether you want to use wood, charcoal, or lump. That narrows down things quite a bit.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I’m just up the road in centennial.

2 VERY important questions you have to answer first.

1. How much effort do you want to put into your cooks? Set it and forget it (kamado style, Weber Smokey Mountain, pellet poopers). Or do you want to stay up all night tending a fire and earn your wings (and have the food taste better)?

2. Budget?

I started with a big green egg which is extremely versatile and can cook everything from smoked whatever to bread to deserts. Boooorrrrring but set it up and it can go for 24 plus hours without opening the lid.

I then moved to a Weber Smokey Mountain (while still cooking on the egg for certain meals) which I really liked but I wanted more hands on. Then I built a homemade reverse flow stick burner that worked well but was too small (only 30 gallon tank). I then bought a Yoder whichita and don’t think I’ll do anything but burn logs till I’m incapable of staying up all night or tending the fire all day. I don’t care what anyone says but the flavor of the stick burned is FAR superior than any of my other cookers. I was my own worst critic before (never thought my bbq was that good. People enjoyed it but I always thought it was missing something) but now I love almost everything the Yoder puts out.

First decide what style you want then you can research all the various options in that class/style.

Need budget. I would second a drum smoker of some sort to start. You learn a ton with one of these. Then move on from there and start to collect smokers!

Second the BGE for versatility and ease of use.

If you want a dedicated smoker an insulated cabinet will work great in the cold.

Back