MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #16
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
Interesting and encouraging at the same time. Just how is Weber 26 better at high heat than a Primo?
Overall it is easier to use.
Less fuel need to get to temp, also less time to come to temp.
Less of an issue if you overshoot temps to get them back down.
Less likely to break.
JAKs Q & brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2022, 08:05 AM   #17
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

First cook last night. Pretty good pile of Jealous Devil in the middle started with a chimney of the same. A couple small splits of mesquite for flavor. Threw a pack of chicken wings on for a high heat cook. Layed a grill grate over the coals and cooked a few pieces of salmon. Removed salmon and grate and seared a wagyu skirt steak.

First impressions.

Had a difficult time getting the grill really hot. But that was mainly user error more than anything else I am sure. Using it more will lead to better results there. The temp was in the high 300's to low 400's for the most part. Bottom vents about half open and varied on the top vents from half open to full open. Just need to play with the settings more so really not complaining. But I did have a good amount of coals lit and the time it took to get hot surprised me. My Primo can get hot quicker. But once again, more use and practice and it is very likely I will be able to match or exceed the time to temp on the kettle vs the Primo.

The lid holder is handy but I much prefer the hinged lid on my Primo. But I got used to the lid holder pretty quickly so with more use it will become more natural. But all considered, I prefer the lid operation of the Primo to the kettle.

It is early but I can see that flavor from this pit will be much better than the Primo. Smoke flavor from the Primo can be a bit stale. Much cleaner and truer smoke flavor from the Kettle. I like that and opens possibilities.

I need to check the remaining charcoal in the kettle and see how much can be re-used. That is one great point on the Primo is that I can re-use the charcoal for several cooks. My assumption is that I will have to refill for every Kettle use but with the SnS I can get by with less charcoal so overall charcoal use could end up being similar, a wash, or close enough.

The Primo has been moved to the garage and I will use the Kettle exclusively for the next month in high heat applications to see how much I like it. But after first use, I am more inclined to keeping and using all 3. I am attached to the Primo and I can see me using it.

Santa Maria attachment should be delivered Thursday night and Slow n Sear delivers Friday as long as delivery estimates are met. Really excited to try out both.

I already see a showdown between all 3 pits on the horizon. A rack of ribs in each pit or some country style ribs to compare flavor etc.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2022, 08:53 AM   #18
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Word of advice on the 26" and the lid. Be very cautious when lifting the lid. I'm 6'0" tall and if I'm not extremely careful, I will lift the lid while standing in front of the grill without thinking and burn my forearm while moving the lid up and into the hanger. I have had to train my self to approach the grill from the side to raise the lid to avoid a bad burn and yes I have done this more than once. Not pleasant.

Get the Vortex if you have an extra $45.00 buck laying around. Very good tool to have in your cooking arsenal.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #19
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I can see what you are talking about. One of the reasons why I like the hinged lid of my Primo more as it is an easy one hand operation, even considering the weight.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #20
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Santa Maria delivered today. Very sturdy. Definitely going to be a learning curve to this but that is half the fun. Got some wings on for my first cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3A804229-7A62-49FD-ACFE-AD0B92E753F0.jpg (89.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 0983BABF-F7D1-464D-9125-F304CC5C9D3A.jpg (91.4 KB, 58 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2022, 04:53 PM   #21
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Getting some color. Smells awesome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4429F4E-1775-4F61-A8AE-C86735CF6DC9.jpg (133.8 KB, 64 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #22
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Nice rig!!

I love my 26. Got rid of my kamado and don't miss it at all. In a nutshell the kettle is more versatile, easier to use and up there with temp responsiveness as the kamado. Easier to move around and less chance of breaking it, dealing with the seals etc....

I would definitely get the SnS. I use the SnS about 98% of the cooks. I actually quit using the vortex because I got just as good if not better wings and chicken in general with the SnS. Not knocking on the vortex at all but after the SnS I have no use for he vortex. You can definitely go with a regular SnS instead of the XL. I got in on a sale and picked the 22 sns deluxe for $50-60. IMHO the difference is very minimal. If it's one thing I'd recommend highly it is he Slow N Sear deluxe.

These are some grill fried wings using the SnS from some time ago. Crispy just like the vortex. Pic is of the 22" but same results in the 26 obviously.

As far as drip pans, I ordered the drip pan for the 26 and turned out back then it was the same size as the 22 drip pan. Bummer because what is the point when I can't catch all the drippings like I did in the 22. Apparently now they make the larger size pans but if you're using to catch drippings only don't waste your money. I have been using HD aluminum foil cut to size to cover all of the bottom. After cooks I just fold and toss it away. I hate gunk and grease and especially chicken grease. Also works a nice shield like the drip pan.

Pertaining to the easy spin grate, the 26 already comes with a solid stainless steel grate to begin with. I'd rather get something else. I picked one up but only because I'm building a 26 cart and didn't have a grate for the new one and SnS was no brainer as it's solid and cheaper than getting one from Weber or anyone else.

I'll do a write up soon but here is my 26 cart I'm just about finished with

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #23
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Good stuff. Really appreciate the feedback

Old 01-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #24
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
Good stuff. Really appreciate the feedback
You'll love it the more you use it. The 26" is my go to cooker.

Funny thing is I got away from kettles some years ago, got all kinds of other grills and smokers but came back to the kettle as my go to and loved it even more the second time around. Only shocker was that prices went up and with an accessory or two you're close to a grand. Especially now and especially the 26's as they're not readily available used.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #25
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I can see that. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the aprimo but I am not too stubborn.

A word on the chicken wings. Totally awesome. Krispy skin and tender inside. More of a grilled flavor than smoked but I am fine with that. I tossed the wings in a garlic and herb compound butter. The best grilled wings I have had or made. Exactly what I was looking for. To be honest the compound butter was a game changer.

The SnS arrives tomorrow and look forward to checking it out but that will come later. I plan on using the Santa Maria a lot this weekend. Prime Tri Tip Saturday and likely a bunch more chicken on Sunday.

Last edited by chingador; 01-27-2022 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #26
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Okay I am on to round 2. Starting with a larger bed of charcoal. Burned down some mesquite splits. Dry brined some chicken thighs for next weeks lunches. Lost track of time and my wife called asking what time the trip tip will be done. Damn it is 4:15. Chicken will have to wait and tri tip is on over the fire.

Replaced gaskets on the Primo. Fire box is in sad shape.

Slow n Sear was delivered today. It will debut tomorrow in a head to head against the Rec Tec cooking some country style ribs. Was going to cook on the Primo but want the adhesive for the new gasket to have enough time to cure. Was a little lazy on the prep and need all the time I can muster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F241EC1D-430F-4876-8D1D-58A0E9FBC9E4.jpg (100.9 KB, 41 views)

Old 01-29-2022, 06:02 PM   #27
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Really behind. Finished at around 130-135. Decent Maillard reaction crust from the flames. Seared a little but didn’t want to over do it. Plenty of learning to do to dial it in but as it is I like it so far.

Chicken thighs on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01E356A1-BB7F-4F3C-8564-1863C1631A25.jpg (69.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DC2A712F-BC4D-4E0C-9514-8642E6E24757.jpg (75.0 KB, 39 views)

Old 02-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #28
cmr
Got rid of the matchlight.

imho the slow and sear is way over priced..... just do this instead. https://youtu.be/lb-BLQok6-o
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2022, 04:29 PM   #29
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
imho the slow and sear is way over priced..... just do this instead. https://youtu.be/lb-BLQok6-o

Funny you mention this. I ran across this awhile ago and thought I’d try it. I also have a slow n sear for my summit kamado (it’s shorter than a regular slow n sear). After using them both, I prefer my homemade one over the slow n sear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #30
cmr
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Funny you mention this. I ran across this awhile ago and thought I’d try it. I also have a slow n sear for my summit kamado (it’s shorter than a regular slow n sear). After using them both, I prefer my homemade one over the slow n sear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i bought a used 30.00 kettle premium and was on a quest to make a cheap cooker. i told kent, (daddy dutch) and he told me to do this... i ordered aftermarket baskets from amazon, did this in about 10 minutes and that included getting out the tools.... lol.. it works perfectly.... he is a great guy and is always very helpful.
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote