Weber Genesis Rebuild Question

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a used Genesis 3 burner gasser to add to the fleet. They are asking $75 and it is close.

My question is, if I had to rebuild it, about what would that cost? The grates look good, the burner cover bars have some rust and the starter does not work (who cares).

289094774_5302044666538572_4377812402209630728_n.jpg

288804521_7639957459410305_7275311193723103438_n.jpg

We have one like that, it is a great grill. I don't know the cost of all the parts but for the starter, I'd try a new battery.

Have any idea how old it might be? I cooked on my BIL's 10 plus year old Spirit the other day and loved it. But the burners were side to side rather than the newer front to back models.

Not sure I would bother with the ignitor. A gas match does a good job too.

I have a similar Genesis and replaced those bar covers a few months ago. I think they cost around $50 or so. That seems like a pretty good deal.

My dad has a similar grill- his has the side burner. He has had it about 12 years. We just replaced his ignitor- it pisses him off to have something that the grill was designed to have and it not work. He's old school that way. He got the SS flavorizer bars last rebuild and wishes he had gotten that version earlier.

I have an identical genesis that we bought in 2009. You can get the model #, serial # and manufacture date from a sticker in the bottom cabinet. I think it is on the side of the vertical part in the center. I needed that info from mine when I bought parts to redo mine from Lowes.

Last edited:
I have an older 2007 version that has the burners running side to side. The cart rusted like crazy initially but either has stabilized or at least hasn’t fallen apart. I just replaced the heat diffuser bars for $68 at a local True Value. I’m sure I could have saved a few bucks if I’d looked online. Burners are similar and the newer design might even be a little cheaper given they are shorter. I changed out the grates to stainless ones some years back. Don’t remember the price but it wasn’t horrible and they’ll last forever.

Bottom line, for $75 it’s a great deal. You can swap out all the internals for a few hundred and essentially have a new Weber, including the ignitor. For me, it’s actually getting annoying. I’m tempted to build out an outdoor kitchen but it’s really hard to justify when you can keep it running forever for 5% of what I’d replace it with.

I got beat out. No surprise there, but sad. The hunt will continue!

Last edited:
I have the bigger brother of that grill with the side burner and sear burner.

I just rehabbed it last year, after having it for going on 10 years. I bought a set of non-Weber Flavorizer bars for $30 on Amazon. They are heavier and thicker than the Weber branded ones. Everything else came clean with some elbow grease.

I'm betting the lighter either needed a new battery or the ground wire rusted off.

Either way, good luck on your quest!

Back