Homemade "bologna"

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. I've heard good things about The Sausage Maker items. Give Walton's Inc. a try. I have loved everything I have gotten from them. Tubed casings, seasoning mixes, etc. Very good stuff.

I've been pretty happy with their packaged seasonings and other supplies, been shopping there a couple years now. My last couple of orders have processed very slowly, I placed an order 2 weeks ago that hasn't even shipped yet. I've placed and received 2 orders from Butcher & Packer in that time. Not sure what's going on there but I may have to start shopping around more, thanks for the tip.

I've been pretty happy with their packaged seasonings and other supplies, been shopping there a couple years now. My last couple of orders have processed very slowly, I placed an order 2 weeks ago that hasn't even shipped yet. I've placed and received 2 orders from Butcher & Packer in that time. Not sure what's going on there but I may have to start shopping around more, thanks for the tip.

They had that mega hi-temp cheese sale going on, maybe that slowed everything down.

Doubt that was it, had another order a little over a month ago take about 2.5 weeks to get to me. Trying to be understanding given the nature of things lately but it sure makes it hard to plan.

I ran the 10lb chub through the slicer tonight, about 8lbs deli style thickness slices and 2 lbs maybe 1/3” thick for pan frying. I decided I’ll use the bologna stuffed into the summer sausage sized casing for experimentation and sliders. I plan to give most of it away for feedback since I don’t really need 10lbs of bologna but will hold back a couple pounds for myself. I think I’ll make a sandwich with bologna and American cheese on white bread for lunch tomorrow. Maybe yellow mustard and/or mayonnaise, but possibly neither.

I had issues with the casing sticking to the exterior of the meat and tearing it away after I took it off the smoker, even after the ice bath when it was chilled. I figured I could wrap it in plastic wrap or vacuum seal for a day and let it rehydrate the casing to make it’s removal easier - I was correct. :thumb:

Back