MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #31
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Yep depends on how deep the water is. If it's 6' or so then I'll use 3' between the bobber and hook, split shot weight maybe 8" from hook. Don't get discouraged though, I get skunked plenty of times and I'm decent at fishing.

Noting wrong with bottom fishing either if it's not real rocky. A split shot up 4" from the hook, worms and corn are best for most bottom feeding fish. And a good idea on the hot dogs too.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #32
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Norm and Jstrand thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. Not sure how deep water is but its deeper than my hook needed to go, probably 10ft. I'll adjust tonorrow.

And granted sometimes fish just don't bite in the whopping hour I was there before we came back. Gonna try and find some worms tomorrow in the morning and give it another whirl.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #33
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

looks like you got your answer, and I agree setup 3 for what you got going especially for little ones.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #34
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Norm and Jstrand thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. Not sure how deep water is but its deeper than my hook needed to go, probably 10ft. I'll adjust tonorrow.

And granted sometimes fish just don't bite in the whopping hour I was there before we came back. Gonna try and find some worms tomorrow in the morning and give it another whirl.
Yup, sometimes they don't bite. You could set the bobber at about 10 feet throw it out, if it lays on it's side it's on the bottom or in weeds, keep moving the bobber towards the hook, maybe a foot at a time until the bobber sits correctly. Try it for a while and maybe move it one way or the other util something hits.
Not sure what it's like out there but if there is lilly pads and weeds along the shore throw back towards the edge of the weeds usually panfish and bass will be hanging out around there. Should be able to get something on the line for the kids.

Good luck
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #35
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
looks like you got your answer, and I agree setup 3 for what you got going especially for little ones.
Bill when would you use the other setups, 1 or 2

Old 07-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #36
Jason TQ

More campfire cooking from today. Lunch was one hotdog for the older one and wife wanted all the leftover steak. I then pan warmed up a classy Walmart Italian sub in the steak fat.

Dinner as friends arrived tonight was more dogs for their kids and I brought some of my uncased wasabi pickle sausage meat for burgers.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #37
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

All the food looks good, but we want to see some fresh caught fish on the grill before the weekend is over.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #38
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
All the food looks good, but we want to see some fresh caught fish on the grill before the weekend is over.
Don't get too excited

Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #39
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

Nice choice on your camper, that is the one my wife and I like. How do you like it?

Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #40
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Use setup 3 for panfish and kids. Hotdogs work great for panfish if no worms (or crickets). First couple hours of the day usually best for panfish biting (especially in shallower water)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #41
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Bill when would you use the other setups, 1 or 2
Setup #1 for casting and retrieving, the clear float keeps the spinner on or near the surface especially if there are a lot of weeds.

Setup #2 keeps the bait on or near the bottom as there is no float/bobber, the fish will take the bait and run with it. The weight on the bottom is good for keeping the bait in a one place if there is current or wind.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #42
thirdeye

A couple of more options for your further fishing experiences would be a bead attractor (if this is legal in your state). You still add some kind of bait or a fly, but the fish will also key on the bead and you get hook-ups in the side of the mouth.

And a slip sinker rig. With this set-up the weight contacts the bottom and will allow the line and hook to move freely, or even float if you are using powerbait. When the fish picks up the bait they don't feel any weight at first. The top version with the egg sinker tends to snag more often so use the improved version with a bell sinker or flexible slinky weight. You can also use this set-up in a stream or river.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #43
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

That is an awesome time, because on this trip you have 100% of your attention to the family instead of having to include getting the bbq done right for turn-in. Have a ball!!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #44
Jason TQ

Thanks for the continued fishing tips guys. Made lunch and got weiners cut up for fishing in a bit.

Got both lines adjusted so the bait will sink lower. I didnt even get one nibble yesterday or even see a fish near the surface swimming. Again it was just an hour.

I'm about to go down with a buddy when our kids take a nap. Then we'll go again when ours wake up.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #45
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Nice lunch Jason, good luck fishing.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote