currently using WSM bullet looking to make the next step

westcoastmanz

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello,

As the title reads I currently use a WSM bullet and am looking to take the next step up. I was checking out the Oklahoma Joe Bandera but seems like it requires alot of mods. My budget is around $400(one day Komodo). Any suggestions will be useful. The reason I'm looking for a different smoker is I want to cook more meat at once. Ideally don't want to tend it every hour but I'm okay if the results come out amazing. Also, curious if the 3 in 1 gas/charcoal/smoker is frowned upon in this community.

Can you spare another $100?

www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-over-and-under-smoker

I added another chamber to my 22.5 Smokey Mountain and drilled an additional layer of holes for another grate. A total of 6 grates, which means 15 square feet of smoking area. Remove the lowest for a diffuser (or water pan) and I still can do 10 briskets, 10 butts, or 14 racks of ribs.

Chicken goes into my fryer.

Last edited:
Hello,
Also, curious if the 3 in 1 gas/charcoal/smoker is frowned upon in this community.

Are you talking about the 2 in one with a firebox (Oklahoma Joe Duo)? It's not frowned upon, but I say don't do it. It's fine for you average cooker on Any Given Sunday, but you will still need mods to make it workable for a good smoker. The chamber for gas/charcoal is divided so you will need to whip out that grinder to cut out the divide to expand the chamber. And those usually come with short smoke stacks. My friend did these mods and I still see him sweat it with the firebox.

You aren't going to get much better than an uds or wsm for that kind of money.
You could save your pennies for awhile and wait. Which because I am me I admit to never doing that except for my last one. I wish I would have done it sooner. Anyways for capacity how about a pit barrel cooker? I don't own one but alot of guys swear by them. They are under your budget and people love them alot. You should be able to pick up some meat with what you save.

Your WSM is a FINE cooker. Don't buy into the notion that you need to "move up". IF you want another cooker (we are ALL guilty of that)- then go for it. But there's nothing you can't do on another $400.00 cooker that you can't do as well (or better) on what you currently have.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the response. I should mention I've only been in the smoking game now for a little under a year. I'm not the most "handy" of people so what may be a simple mod to some would probably end up as a disaster in my case. Are there UDS that you can buy out there or is it DIY? I'm perfectly content with my WSM(I only use the top, no water pan, I think it's the smaller version). My wife is looking for an anniversary gift for me and wanted to go to the experts to ask opinions.

I'm not a competition cooker, but I have an 18 and 22 WSM and a UDS. If I had money to blow I would maybe invest in a good temp controller. I love my IQ120 and am looking into a PartyQ. Or more accessories for what you already have. Maybe rotisserie ring, hanging rib setup, table or shelter. I started w/ a cheap offset cooker, moved up to a mid-level but always hated the tending they required. Now I do think the Q tasted better coming of an offset, but not that much better for my needs to justify the tending. There is nothing better than firing up the smoker, throwing on a ton of meat, setting the temp on my 120 and then going to SLEEP!! Waking up in the morning with the temp is still nuts on and your food is ready to pull is a great feeling. It also allows me to cook more than I would otherwise. It is almost to easy and feels like cheating.

As you have started w/ a WSM I'm afraid you may get frustrated w/ an offset as they are not as set-it and forget-it. I've had a blast building my UDS and have spent more than I should on stainless fasteners as I am always tweaking w/ the design.

If I had $400 I would be hitting Craigslist pretty hard within a 100 mile or more radius. You can probably get an $800-$1000 cooker for that same money, which would actually get you a nice smoker.

For $400 out the door of a store, I don't think you are going to find much of an upgrade from the WSM. May be tempted to get a 2nd wsm.

When I wanted to cook more meat than a single 22" WSM could handle, I bought another 22" WSM.

That would be my first, second, and third recommendation if you like how your WSM cooks.

IMO you should get the 22" wsm. It's about $400 and will cook a lot of food with little to no tending. You won't get an upgrade for $400. Those cheaper offset pits and pellet grills are junk at that price compared to the Weber. Again all just my opinion.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the response. I should mention I've only been in the smoking game now for a little under a year. I'm not the most "handy" of people so what may be a simple mod to some would probably end up as a disaster in my case. Are there UDS that you can buy out there or is it DIY? I'm perfectly content with my WSM(I only use the top, no water pan, I think it's the smaller version). My wife is looking for an anniversary gift for me and wanted to go to the experts to ask opinions.

I'm not sure if I can link to them, but Big Poppa Smokers has a UDS kit. They'll even direct you to site to buy new fresh barrel. One user recently posted his build and he liked it so far. It's something I'd consider

If I read your posts right, you have one of the two smallest WSM's available. If I were in your shoes and you want an upgrade but want to keep it around $400, I have a solution for you.

1. Buy a 22" WSM.
2. Buy an Auber temperature controller (LINK)
3. If money is a concern, sell your current WSM on Craigslist. That would most likely cover item #2.

For the temperature controller, go with a 6.5 CFM fan, the standard thermocouple and add the silicone gasket for the blower.

Now you have a larger capacity smoker with a PID control so that it's set it and forget it. If you look at my signature, I own over $30k in BBQ equipment. You want to know what I produced what I feel is the best BBQ of all time? An 18" WSM. You don't need to spend gobs of money to produce good food.

Lastly, there is a WSM competitor at Tractor Supply Company if I recall that people seemed to like. That might be something to look into, since I recall it was cheaper than a WSM. I love Weber though, because their customer service is awesome. I just wish they'd offer full stainless on certain things, because I'm tired of rust! :)

Good luck.

Hello,

As the title reads I currently use a WSM bullet and am looking to take the next step up. I was checking out the Oklahoma Joe Bandera but seems like it requires alot of mods. My budget is around $400(one day Komodo). Any suggestions will be useful. The reason I'm looking for a different smoker is I want to cook more meat at once. Ideally don't want to tend it every hour but I'm okay if the results come out amazing. Also, curious if the 3 in 1 gas/charcoal/smoker is frowned upon in this community.
Harry Soo hasn't "stepped up", yet. :biggrin1:

At your budget, you won't find anythig better. Certainly NOT any OKJ (made by Charbroil) crapola.

LoL...temp controller for a WSM.

Save your money till you can afford something "more".

You're not going to get anything better than your WSM with your budget.

I cooked 4 butts the other night on my 22.5...set it up, started 20-30 coals in a chimney, prepped (seasoned) the butts, poured the coals in the pit, put the meat on, left one intake wide open, and went to bed. I have no idea where it settled in overnight. The next morning I took a shower, got dressed, and THEN went to take the meat off the pit...first time I looked at it since the night before around 10pm when I started it up. Pit temp was just over 200...took the butts off & went to work (4 minutes away)...it was 6:30am. Wrapped them & there them in a 375 oven for an hour...probed tender so let them rest for an hour.

That's about as trouble free as it gets...and I didn't waste any money on a temp controller.

If I read your posts right, you have one of the two smallest WSM's available. If I were in your shoes and you want an upgrade but want to keep it around $400, I have a solution for you.

1. Buy a 22" WSM.
2. Buy an Auber temperature controller (LINK)
3. If money is a concern, sell your current WSM on Craigslist. That would most likely cover item #2.

For the temperature controller, go with a 6.5 CFM fan, the standard thermocouple and add the silicone gasket for the blower.

Now you have a larger capacity smoker with a PID control so that it's set it and forget it. If you look at my signature, I own over $30k in BBQ equipment. You want to know what I produced what I feel is the best BBQ of all time? An 18" WSM. You don't need to spend gobs of money to produce good food.

Lastly, there is a WSM competitor at Tractor Supply Company if I recall that people seemed to like. That might be something to look into, since I recall it was cheaper than a WSM. I love Weber though, because their customer service is awesome. I just wish they'd offer full stainless on certain things, because I'm tired of rust! :)

Good luck.

This is exactly my recommendation. I've competed with 4 WSMs (2 22s and 2 18s), a Humphrey's Pint, Stumps, and a Rec-Tec pellet cooker and I'll say without a doubt the WSM is the best cooker for the money.

The Auber temp controller adds a layer of comfort for me. I could easily smoke without it but I tend to be a perfectionist and the Auber gives me peace of mind to worry about other things.

Of course if you want a different smoker just to play around then by all means go for it but for $400 the WSM is the cream of the crop.

BTW there have been many awards won by WSMs in the competition circuit

Oh and as for capacity, I smoked 6 butts this weekend for a party of 70 folks in my 22 WSM. I can fit about 7-8 8lb butts in my 22 WSM and about 6 in my 18 WSM. (Admittedly they were a little crammed but the meat was fantastic)

How is everyone fitting so much meat on their smoker. Maybe I don't have an 18.5 but a 14". How can I tell, this was a leftover from the previous homeowner? Also, do people cook meat on the second grate closest to the coals, how are you able to reach it to gauge temperature?

LoL...temp controller for a WSM.

Save your money till you can afford something "more".

You're not going to get anything better than your WSM with your budget.

I cooked 4 butts the other night on my 22.5...set it up, started 20-30 coals in a chimney, prepped (seasoned) the butts, poured the coals in the pit, put the meat on, left one intake wide open, and went to bed. I have no idea where it settled in overnight. The next morning I took a shower, got dressed, and THEN went to take the meat off the pit...first time I looked at it since the night before around 10pm when I started it up. Pit temp was just over 200...took the butts off & went to work (4 minutes away)...it was 6:30am. Wrapped them & there them in a 375 oven for an hour...probed tender so let them rest for an hour.

That's about as trouble free as it gets...and I didn't waste any money on a temp controller.

LOL. Sometimes adding a tech gadget can cure your desire for something different, simply since it gives you something new to experiment with. I have ran my WSM both ways and if I want a for certain smooth cook when I'm out running errands or sleeping, it's a small price to pay. Waste is a pretty strong word, but hey, it's your opinion.

Back