First firing Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Patio.Thanks to Tyler and Paul ! Pr0n Heavy ;)

awscwi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Sunday night was the inaugural cook of my Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Patio. (AKA "Tank". Im not one for naming cookers, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time :wink:) It was delivered on time by lost and found delivery service, good service from them!

Fired Tank with two chimneys of coal and three coke can sized oak splits.The two chimneys worked out great in the warmer, easy to move them from there to the fire basket. After i moved the chimneys i loaded the warmer with splits to keep them warm.

Big thanks to Blythewood BBQ'er for turning me onto a open box Earthquake 5 ton electric log splitter from Tractor Supply. Was 299, picked it for 130. It turns big splits into little splits in short order. Plus Junior loves running it.

Check out "Three Towns BBQ" competition team debut in Columbia SC March 21/22 2014.

Tank got to 300 in about 35 minutes.

Plan was to cook five 8lb butts hot and fast. I estimate I could fit ~ 20 butts in the main chamber on the two rack with no problem.

Paul spaced my racks per my request. Thats one great thing about Shirley Fab, he will make your smoker your way.

I kept it around there for 8 hours no problem.

Junior asked if he could do his school work early (Home schooled) so he could stay up late to keep me and Tank company. This kids got his Sh*t together, makes me proud to be his dad. Notice his school books on Tanks rack :mrgreen:.

We tended the fire and tried to figure out how women think (I've been married 20 years) .

He went to bed @ 12:30 am and we were no closer to the answer.

Then amazingly enough Crown Royal showed up. Not a suitable replacement, but it had to do.

When the butts were ready i pulled them and let them rest for an hour, Crown and i forgot the pics, sorry.

I was amazed a how good the air flow is, the design of Tank really lets the air flow. Two 1/8 splits every 40 min kept Tank rolling. This was my first cook on a stick burner so I'm sure i can improve on fire management.

I have put several hundred hours on my Assassin gravity feed and my LG BGE. While Tank takes a little more attention, the BBQ taste improvement was there for me. Me and junior related this to how those women work :wink:.

Attention to detail on tank is very good. For example, mine has grease fittings on all hinges, probe ports are really nice.. Ect. As I stated before i inspect welds for a living and these welds are no joke. Every thing fits nice and tight and there was no air leakage.

This cooker is HEAVY DUTY , Paul's front steering system lets it move around in a very short radius.

Build pics can be found here... If your in the mood for a new pit i highly recommend you give Tyler and Paul a shot at you business.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177409

This pic pretty much sums up my experience with Shirley Fabrication.

I fully expect Junior to be posting his cooks here 30 years from now.

Thanks for looking!

Outstanding. Mine will be done till the first week in May. I do not know how i am going to wait, with all you guys posting your pics. ahead of me. Congrats. Will be waiting fpr more of your posts about how it is cooking.

I am going from a UDS to stick burner.I know there will be a learning curve. How were the temps. from right to left and top rack to bottom rack? I wish Paul had a clone so I could pick mine up. I am so glad I ordered from SF.

Fine looking cooker and I know you'll enjoy it for a lifetime!

Hey if you and the boy get the women figured out........pass it along there's a ton of us that want to know :laugh:

That's a great looking new pit and team member you got there, best of luck on the comp trail! As someone who tinkers with builds, I'm consistently amazed at the fit and finish Paul & Tyler get on their builds, trust me it ain't easy on heavy metal. Their commitment to quality and getting the customer what you want is as good as it gets. Congratulations.

Way to get the kid involved. Thats a great looking and cooking rig you've got, but thats nothing you dont know. Congrats on the new rig.

Back