Brine or marinade for ribs

T

trwong

Hi,
Does anyone have a brine or marinade recipe for spare ribs they could share. I'm looking for something that would put flavor into the rib meat and also make them more tender and juicy.

Time and temperature, salt and pepper.
Dr pepper maybe?

Hi,
Does anyone have a brine or marinade recipe for spare ribs they could share. I'm looking for something that would put flavor into the rib meat and also make them more tender and juicy.

If you are smoking your meat properly, you should need NO foil, injections, brine, or any other cheats.The meat should speak for itself. A good rub helps, too, but keep it simple....:biggrin:

Have you been using a rub? That, and a light finishing glaze imparts some more flavor. As far as tenderness, a lot of people foil for an hour or two using some variation of the 3-2-1 method.

I've never brined or marinaded ribs. Just a good rub about six hours on the smoker and a nice finishing sauce. Plenty of flavor. With ribs being so thin the smoke and rub should be all you need.

It definitely isn't necessary to brine ribs. Brine is a means to help lean cuts of meat from drying out in sustained long cooks or high temp grilling. It will also impart flavor into the meat being brined. Again, this is not necessary for ribs. I would brine chicken and pork loins, this is good, but this is not necessary.

I do believe in foiling my ribs Moose, I have done well using this process in comps and I believe most folks also use this method. Definitely not a cheat?

In my opinion I don't think any marinade is going to make your ribs tender and juicy. Cooking them properly will get you that. I find that a good rub, a light glaze of sauce toward the end, and the flavor of the pork is just right. Unless you are trying to add a particular flavor, you can save yourself some trouble by skipping the marinade.

Happy cookin!
Chris

Norco showed me this brining technique once....

Attachments

• bbq-ribs-1.jpg
    bbq-ribs-1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 247
I cook for Popdaddy and one time I thought I would impress him by doing what you are talking about. Its okay for grilling but not for smoking. I used to make a paste or slather for my ribs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvElRn4Bz4E&feature=PlayList&p=70A4BAEF4CB51071&index=13

that was mustard and rub that was smeared on. Then I thought I would get creative and use a medium of rub and Worcestershire sauce (expensive) and try and save time by dipping them in it. Now the ribs I did immediately were okay but the ones I let sit a night in the same stuff sucked. I find this to be the case with other marinades as well... the one caveat to this rule being the time you marinade it.

Popdaddy ultimately found out, called me on the bag phone and suspended me for a week and docked me for the wasted materials.

Popdaddy says..."People that marinade ribs should have their bodies slowly eroded by high speed water jets from the extremities inward. Except for me. People should not be allowed to make their mistakes or experiment in any way or form" Popdaddy always says.

Moink Balls ABT's and Armadillo eggs to you all.

Bold print for the Retarded

tony76248;855252 I do believe in foiling my ribs Moose said:
I know that foiling ribs is popular, and I didn't mean to offend. However, having tried both, I see how using foil accelerates the cooking (and softening) of the meat, which often results in meat that is "falling off the bone", which I don't care for. I prefer meat that still has some texture to it and has a slight "tug". Of course, one can achieve the same result using foil with the right timing, but have a look at my "Maple Smoked Back Ribs" post and you'll see ribs that are almost falling off the bone, yet were never foiled. I'm certainly a proponent of whatever works, but to date, I haven't seen the need for foil. Am I missing something?

Back