BBQ at Buc-ee's

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
For some reason, I have become obsessed with the Buc-ee's gas station chain that is found mostly in Texas, but slowly moving north and east through Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. I've watched several YouTubers video themselves going through these massive, 100+ pump gas stations and convenience stores. Two things had caught my eye. The Buc-ee's nuggets and the BBQ. But living in NC, the closest one was about 2 hours away and I'm not willing to take a half day just to try some BBQ with all the good BBQ joints near me.

Well, this past Saturday I had to drive my mother to meet my sister on her way to Myrtle Beach, SC and this was my chance. I convinced her to meet me and mom at the Buc-ee's in Florence, SC. It turns out that my sister's husband is in love with Buc-ee's and was excited to meet us there.

If you've never been to a Buc-ee's, it's crazy large. It was a Saturday at noon when we pulled in and the place was packed. I was told that this Buc-ee's has 120 gas pumps and I swear that over 100 of them had cars filling up. Inside was packed with at least 20 people in all the register lines and way more people not in line than I was expecting. Good thing there's not a pandemic going on. :mrgreen: Here's a picture I took from the back corner of the store showing how large it is:
_v7qXIspzY2E2UDWnwt8Lta_E9K6gDOUVJJLeZmEWwMPIA9maNCzoRWugK0XqCcoNckEZhH-vb9DNhgEp9QbX9LkJyPcSn36s58iXs_rojIopwagR7I5R53LhZ5pHDmEoTQagS_wVw=w1000

I picked up a bag of the Buc-ee's Nuggets, a chopped brisket sandwich, a sliced brisket sandwich, a pulled pork sandwich, and a sliced turkey sandwich. Over the coarse of the days since buying these sandwiches, I eaten them all. The pulled pork sandwich was eaten in the parking lot of Buc-ee's along with a bag of chips. The other sandwiches were eaten after a 1 minute 30 second blast in the microwave. Here's my review:

The pulled pork sandwich:
FO4d7KtzEJf5KeBq0C-3TT5-3jmRdOkyg7LvjDORAtkLFME18BaoeW_Tc33hbiusulut6YtQb5XeDWgiB6J2MmApBAQrnRJnLnhJA_DimTR4CXEtMIFO7345D9SEPsw0eupAJF0L_g=w800

By the time I got to my car with the sandwich, the buns were soggy, but not falling apart soggy. This was more due to the steam than from the BBQ sauce. I was disappointed that the flavor of the pork didn't come through in the sandwich. All I tasted was the BBQ sauce. It's a sweet midwest/Texas style sauce along the lines of a Sweet Baby Ray's or a Kraft's. I would have preferred that they didn't sauce the meat and gave you the BBQ sauce on the side. As a note, you can get extra BBQ sauce on the side. 3 out of 10.

A bag of chips:
ZBuXN8qHkUfXs_Hd1I5orxMkj54CUWj07Cge5I9VjJ8EeoIx5NOP-csvMS977qc6QnL_nIKnVLFg-E6XT2XWJkgaXilQ7fpy6HUzGcUUMmWQ2inQ0AjpGa_UA5-rQ3gdsTU7m4Kthg=w800

These are the typical handmade chips that you can get at some restaurants. As such, you will find that 90% of them are nice and crisp and crunchy but the other 10% are under cooked. I think this happens if they don't stir the chips constantly as they cook. I will say that these undercooked chips still tasted good. They weren't over salted and the batch I got were warm when I first got them. 8 out of 10.

The sliced brisket sandwich:
Srk1K9Bgxlq6fcIA7BOydoonN96Y3bM7pKGVKkw9rnU8Es7IuqHI42uI8jpsqEUCREXZh1uTKfcPdTMv6HfOAr0R5jWeLJPeYAR17k8EXamp1V2e9R1hwziyYqfXgOl11uqDZwrD_Q=w800

I had a lot of hope for this sandwich even though I was eating it 3 days after I had purchased it. Unfortunately, it suffered the same issues as the pulled pork sandwich. To much sauce. I ended up pulling one or two pieces out of the sandwich and scraping off most of the sauce and decided that the brisket itself was good. It had a mild beef flavor and a good amount of smoke. If you prefer a light smoke on your brisket, then this may be to much for you. 5 out of 10.

I didn't get a picture of the chopped brisket sandwich but it suffered the same issues I had with the pulled pork. I couldn't taste the beef, just the sauce. 3 out of 10.

I also didn't get a picture of the sliced turkey sandwich. It was my favorite of the 4 sandwiches. The sauce level was light (I may have just gotten lucky on this sandwich) and the turkey had a nice pepper flavor on the bark. the sandwich I had contained one slice that was from the end as it was covered with bark. I will admit that I'm not a huge turkey sandwich fan unless it's very fresh, but this one was very good. 7 out of 10.

On a side note, I did find out that you can just get the meat without the bun and if I go back, I will check into that option if I can get them without sauce.

The last item I wanted to review was the Buc-ee's nuggets. They are "famous" for them. They are puffed corn that is coated in sugar. If you like to eat sugar, then you will love these. I hated them and after trying two, I threw the bag away. I couldn't taste any corn at all. All I tasted was sugar. 1 out of 10.

Overall, I'm glad that I didn't go out of my way just to try the food there but if I'm passing by at meal time, I can see stopping there and trying some of the other items they have. For the experience, I'd give it Buc-ee's a 6 out of 10.

Thanks for the review, I was wondering.

The sauce on the sandwiches would’ve been a big no for me.

I’d try the brisket, but the pork I’d probably just tossed it in the bin, not sure I could’ve made it through one.

Last edited:
I pulled in to a Buc-ee's here in GA one night for gas and a bathroom stop
and when I saw the size of it I drove across the street to a smaller place.
Looking at your panorama shot, any convenience store that provides
shopping carts isn't very "convenient".

I would just keep in mind that a Buccee's sandwich is still a gas station sandwich. It doesn't matter how clean their bathrooms are if you find yourself having to use every other gas station bathroom on a 300 mile trip. I found that out the hard way.

The Buccee's you visisted is my local one (30 min away). I love Buccee's it is a really cool concept in my mind. I have had the chopped brisket sandwich and it was a heavy dose of sauce. Luckily for me I love bbq sauce. It's definitely not as good as a quality bbq spot, but far superior to normal gas station food. However, their cinnamon rolls are SOOOOOO GOOD!!!! Also, I love their fountain drinks much fresher and a higher quality than most gas stations. I'm looking forward to trying the pulled pork sandwich and now you make me want to try the turkey sandwich too. It is definitely an experience.

You are absolutely right on two points:
1) They are huge and mind-blowing,
2) They are easy to become obsessed with.
The fact that they do the business that they do is phenomenal!

Why not just order the sammie dry, without sauce? Get the sauce on the side.
The caramel nuggets are better than the regular Beaver nuggets.
If you want to, Google "Beaver" Aplin. He and another guy opened up the first Buc-cee's in Lake Jackson, Texas years ago.

We pass the Buc-ees in Terrell, TX at least twice a month and if we stop I try to park on the side of the store with snacks not the Buc-ees paraphernalia - we don't need any more junk about the house. I don't always get my way. I love the dark chocolate-covered almonds. If we stop to eat we like the sliced brisquet sandwiches and will eat them outside in our car while still hot and we don't have a problem with soggy buns. They don't usually drown the sandwiches in sauce and we always ask for a separate container to add to the sandwich as we're eating. It's not BBQ I'd drive out of my way for but the meat portions are fairly generous and for a fast food joint its pretty good Q.

I get the bbq turkey sammich - not bad at all. They slice and chop the brisket n pork right there infront of you - it’s pretty decent if you like the sauce. I like the sauce and I sauce at home. The times I’ve stopped at N Ft worth and Temple - they were so busy the sammiches didn’t sit for long - no soggy buns.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VcrRvATSSI4

Last edited:
Buc-ee's is awesome. The times i've been I was either on my way, coming from or between stops at bbq joints so I haven't tried the bbq sandwiches or breakfast taco's. I do like the dried sausages and jerky. The beaver nuggets are awesome also.

Dear Gawd I hope my kids never read your review, there’ll be war :becky:

In all honesty, you reviewed a gas station sandwich, the jerky is the BEST!

+1 on this. The Jerky bar is pretty awesome. The bbq is pretty good in the context of a gas station sandwich, but kinda bland from a bbq joint standpoint. The sliced brisket sandwich I got was a giant bun with a semi-sad portion of sliced brisket, and as previous noted, way over sauced. But again, for a gas station it was pretty good - nobody got sick, so a win all around.

Let face it - if you're on this board, you're a bbq snob. To give Buc-ee's credit though, they do a decent job of mass produced bbq for the traveling public, just nothing I'd make a special trip for. But if your choice is Buc-ee's Q or a McDouble, that's easy. Your armor is waaaaaay more likely to remain un-soiled from the Buc-ee's grub.

I stop at Buc-ee's if there is one along the route I'm traveling. I enjoy the whole experience from the super clean restrooms to the wide variety of snacks available. If I'm hungry I'll sometimes get a sliced brisket sammich with no sauce. Not top notch BBQ, but not bad for something for the road. If I don't feel like BBQ that day there are so many other options.

Dear Gawd I hope my kids never read your review, there’ll be war :becky:

In all honesty, you reviewed a gas station sandwich, the jerky is the BEST!

My fam feels the same way.

The jerky selection/quality is very high. Their Bohemian Garlic is top shelf. In fact it’s between it and Ralph’s pork jerky (Perkins OK) for my 1-hole jerky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let face it - if you're on this board, you're a bbq snob. To give Buc-ee's credit though, they do a decent job of mass produced bbq for the traveling public, just nothing I'd make a special trip for. But if your choice is Buc-ee's Q or a McDouble, that's easy. Your armor is waaaaaay more likely to remain un-soiled from the Buc-ee's grub.

THIS^^^

When I first started down the road of smoked meats, I ate a restaurants that were par with Buc-Ee’s that people raved about! As our tastes developed to what we liked? We stopped eating BBQ out. It’s ALWAYS a disappointment!

We were here last Sunday… ONE HOUR from the time we turned in till the the time we left! INSANE!!!

EVERY pump was full and inside the store was like the midway of the state fair!

Hate all ya want!

And yes, I got a chopped brisket sandwich for old times sake…

I’ll be in Buc-ees territory this winter during our 100 Day RV Trip (see camping thread in woodpile) I’ll be making a point to stop and check it out

Last edited:
Back