MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
BbqScientist
Got Wood.

Default Hanging St. Louis ribs - no foil??

My traditional method for spares is to foil. The people I cook for prefer the almost fall apart and not-greasy texture.

Hanging complicates this. I could pull them at 3 hours, foil, put grates in, and pile them up. But then for the last hour unwrapped I’m stuck.

Whatcha think
BbqScientist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
MichiganBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Cooking on a PBC?
MichiganBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
BbqScientist
Got Wood.

Nope, wsm 22 with gateway bbq rack.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
dshaffes
Knows what a fatty is.

I use a Gateway hanging rack for ribs and wrap and put the WSM Grate on for the wrapped ribs. Works great!
dshaffes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

In your situation (which I've been in).... Hang until you get the color you LOVE... wrap in foil and place in the oven at 250-300 for no more than an hour or 1.5. Finish back onto the cooker unwrapped for about 10 minutes. I can do about 7-9 racks comfortably on my Gateways doing this method. I do rotate 25% every 20 minutes to keep my obsessive compulsiveness at bay.....

You will win that one every time.

Last edited by patrickd26; 05-05-2019 at 10:24 PM..
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 11:50 PM   #6
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd26 View Post
In your situation (which I've been in).... Hang until you get the color you LOVE... wrap in foil and place in the oven at 250-300 for no more than an hour or 1.5. Finish back onto the cooker unwrapped for about 10 minutes. I can do about 7-9 racks comfortably on my Gateways doing this method. I do rotate 25% every 20 minutes to keep my obsessive compulsiveness at bay.....

You will win that one every time.

That’s basically what I’ve been doing, but I finish indirect on a Weber kettle unless I have room on the grate on the PBC (not usually).

I wrap in pink butcher paper sprayed down with water/apple cider vinegar mixture. We like our ribs dry to the touch and the butcher paper usually delivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
BbqScientist
Got Wood.

I ended up just running them without wrapping. They were decent, but wrapped really is way better

Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
Willowe1980
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Will

I hang mine naked the whole way. It is not a quick process, but I like the texture and the flavor. Whenever I wrap, I've always had to finish on my kettle to get some texture.