• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sold my stickburner and got a Recteq RT-700

Crazy Tex

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Sold my big trailer mounted stick burner that I had spent a couple of years building, due to not having the room at my new house in the 'burbs. Didn't get near as much as I wanted for it, but in the middle of a pandemic... people weren't exactly spending gobs of money.

So I took the money I got from that and bought a Recteq RT-700 pellet grill. Yeah, I know.. it's 'cheating' and the purists will argue it's not the right way to cook or whatever :blah::blah:

I think this thing is amazing. Granted, I haven't perfected my brisket game on it yet, but I've never cooked something that I couldn't eat and enjoy on it. And the more I cook the better things taste.

I've cooked meatloaf, chicken, turkey, veggies, pork butts, briskets, burgers, etc. and we almost have a weekly pizza night where we take Naan or Flatbread and make our own pizzas and I crank it up to 500* and cook them on there. Darn tasty.

Something I disklike about it is the fact you can't fit two full size steam trays in there.. all they needed was about 6" more..

So now I have my sights set on a recteq bullseye for more direct heat grilling.. just have to figure out how to get that past the CFO (wife) :twitch:

Good to see you are happy with it and that's all that matters. I know I am happy with mine :-D

Congratulations! I've really enjoyed my 680 over the years. The MAK group buy is temping me but if I do end up pulling the trigger the Rectec will end up going to my daughter and SIL who will be more than happy with it

Sold my big trailer mounted stick burner that I had spent a couple of years building, due to not having the room at my new house in the 'burbs. Didn't get near as much as I wanted for it, but in the middle of a pandemic... people weren't exactly spending gobs of money.

So I took the money I got from that and bought a Recteq RT-700 pellet grill. Yeah, I know.. it's 'cheating' and the purists will argue it's not the right way to cook or whatever :blah::blah:

I think this thing is amazing. Granted, I haven't perfected my brisket game on it yet, but I've never cooked something that I couldn't eat and enjoy on it. And the more I cook the better things taste.

I've cooked meatloaf, chicken, turkey, veggies, pork butts, briskets, burgers, etc. and we almost have a weekly pizza night where we take Naan or Flatbread and make our own pizzas and I crank it up to 500* and cook them on there. Darn tasty.

Something I disklike about it is the fact you can't fit two full size steam trays in there.. all they needed was about 6" more..

So now I have my sights set on a recteq bullseye for more direct heat grilling.. just have to figure out how to get that past the CFO (wife) :twitch:

Just buy it and bring it home.She will love it.Just like a new puppy.If not,she will get over it.

A buddy of mine has the Rectech and LOVES it.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much you will enjoy it in my opinion.

A buddy of mine has the Rectech and LOVES it.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much you will enjoy it in my opinion.

Oh, I'm definitely enjoying it. Had it since late October...just haven't been online much. and the customer service is awesome.

Congrats. I may be joining the ever growing group of Brethren with pellet grills fairly soon.

Congrats. I may be joining the ever growing group of Brethren with pellet grills fairly soon.

I miss certain things about the stick burners, and if I had room, I would probably own both... but I am certainly not displeased with the versatility and ease of this. I am still experimenting with different brands of pellets to see which ones I like the best.

I know that the debate of what is the best pellet grill for the money is like what is the best pickup truck... but the customer service at RecTeq is phenomenal.

Yeah, I know.. it's 'cheating' and the purists will argue it's not the right way to cook or whatever :blah::blah:

Today's "purists" with their offset propane tank rigs and paper-wrapped briskets probably had to put up with comments from yesterday's "purists" who dug pits with a shovel and put their alligators in banana leaves. Stay with pellets long enough and you'll be the "purist" commenting on the neutron plasma/dimension portal cheater rigs of the future!

Today's "purists" with their offset propane tank rigs and paper-wrapped briskets probably had to put up with comments from yesterday's "purists" who dug pits with a shovel and put their alligators in banana leaves. Stay with pellets long enough and you'll be the "purist" commenting on the neutron plasma/dimension portal cheater rigs of the future!

Excellent post. Well said and funny!

Are you available for posting lessons?

So true...but then some days it feels like everything old is becoming new again...

1) Show her the price of the 700 & the price of the Bullseye, and point out what a bargain the Bullseye is.

2) It's always easier asking for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission...

Your user name "Crazy Tex" says it all, you're absolutely insane. Also, shame on you for bringing shame to Matts. The other Texas Matts and I are gonna have to run you out of the state!!!

Nah, I'm kidding lol. All that matters is you're happy with and enjoy the food you put out. Enjoy the RecTeq.

Sounding like a man with a guilty bbq conscious :)

rb

Welcome home...

Excellent post. Well said and funny!

Are you available for posting lessons?

You need’um

Back