MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #16
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Doesn't have to be an overnight thing. When I do brisket or pig shoulder, I put it on in the morning. Cooks all day and past supper time. Toss on some burgers for supper, but guess what we're eating tomorrow!

Old 01-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #17
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

If your wife is afraid to cook overnight cook during the day and just do whatever you want. Like others have stated the WSM is made so that when you get it going it's going to roll. So set the temp and go do whatever it is that you need to do during the day. I cooked my first brisket while I was on the golf course getting in 18 holes. I would text my wife from time to time and get the temps on my probe and an occasional picture of what it was looking like. Worked great for me.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #18
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

A couple of weeks ago I tried my first overnight cook on my Camp Chef pellet grill with HeaterMeter monitoring.

My biggest worry was overcooking, so I started the cook at 10PM, expecting to check it at 8AM. Outside air temp was around freezing. Also because of the worry, I set the temp to 175deg. I figured the brisket would get a good smoking and then I could run the temp up to finish.

HeaterMeter data showed good stable chamber temp around 175 and after a couple of hours the meat stabilized at 150. Maybe a sort of stall? At 8AM the brisked looked very good, so I ran the temp to 225. Long story short, it wasn't until 2PM that it was done. Worse, the "bark" was hard and thick like tree bark. To get to edible meat I had to basically "skin" the dried-out and thick bark off the brisket. By this whole process I lost 3# when I trimmed the 12# packer, then lost about another 5# to dried out bark/meat. My worst brisket cook yet.

Next time I'll use 225 deg and take the risk of overcooking.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #19
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook briskets overnight on my WSM on a fairly regular basis. Using a temp controller and remote therm helps a lot with ease of mind while sleeping, and I don't have the cooker neary anything flammable. It works very well for me.

I used to do overnight cooks, but, while I've always been lazy, now I'm old and lazy, which is quite the combo.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #20
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm going to ask anyway.

My wife is afraid to let a brisket cook overnight. I have one in my refrigerator right now that I'd love to cook.

So, if I cut it in half near the flat/point, and cook both halves in my WSM, would that (theoretically) halve the cooking time?

In other words, let's say the brisket weighs 12 pounds. Rough calculation is that would be a 15-18 hour cook.

But if I cut it in half, and put half on the bottom rack and half on the top, can I cut that time down to 7.5 to 9 hours?

I'm assuming the answer is probably "no, you can't do that you dummy", but I thought I would ask.

See? I told you it was a really dumb question.
Why do that? Just separate and cook in 4 hours.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #21
sarth67
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sarth67

I do not do overnight. I will hit the bed early and get up before the sun to cook.
If it is going to go overnight it gets wrapped and into the oven. still with a probe set for min and max temperature alarms.
sarth67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #22
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

No such thing as a dumb question Nothing wrong with cooking overnight I do it all of the time Works great I like long cooks however I recently had to do pork butts at a high temp turned out great Next time it will be a long cook If you need to cook hot and fast as stated here Let us know how it turns out
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #23
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I cook briskets overnight on my WSM on a fairly regular basis. Using a temp controller and remote therm helps a lot with ease of mind while sleeping, and I don't have the cooker neary anything flammable. It works very well for me.

I used to do overnight cooks, but, while I've always been lazy, now I'm old and lazy, which is quite the combo.
I do the same.
DanB

Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #24
bam
is One Chatty Farker

If Wife Has A Problem You Got A Problem. Get Up Early 300+ Til Done. Wasn't An Over Night Cook Door Fell Off Wsm. Glad I Only Was Gone For An Hour.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #25
mjr
Knows what a fatty is.

I wanted to provide an update.

The brisket went on the WSM this morning at 8 AM. I think I pulled it around 3:45 at 195ºF. So that's almost eight hours at over 300 degrees.

I used a basic salt and pepper rub, and used hickory wood for the smoke.

Results:

I was a bit disappointed with how tough the bark turned out. Is it supposed to be like that? It also had an extremely mild (almost non-existent) smoke flavor. I didn't spritz it, however. That, and maybe the temperature was too high.

Once I got past the bark, though, the meat itself was fairly tender and well-cooked, with a nice overall flavor (sans the smokiness I was expecting).

Overall, I would call it a successful first brisket cook.

Something strange happened, though, when I was firing up the coals in my chimney this morning. I'm watching them burn, and I hear this loud bang from within the chimney. Anyone ever had that happen? It really startled me. And it only happened once.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #26
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Was the chimney on concrete? If so, the heat can cause the concrete to explode

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #27
mjr
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Was the chimney on concrete? If so, the heat can cause the concrete to explode

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It was. But I've used a chimney starter on concrete plenty of times before, and this is the first time this has ever happened. My walkway doesn't look damaged.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #28
PGarSD
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Patrick

I use a wifi temp probe that supports multiple probes (Grilleye, up to 8 probes!) and leave one of the probes to monitor the air temp inside the smoker and use the other probes in my meat.

For that air temp probe, I set a high (usually 350Fmax) and low (usually 140F min) alarm range and go to bed with my linked phone by the bed. If the fire goes out or really flames up, the alarm on my phone goes off, waking me up. I have the added bonus of easily "checking my meat" from the bed in the middle of the night :)
PGarSD is offline   Reply With Quote