• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM vs pellet grill vs pellet cabinet

My story is similar to ShadowDog’s. Had several gas grills and charcoal grills over the years including a Weber gas kettle. Then moved on to one of the original Traeger pellet grills , a Louisiana whole hog and finally a MAK 2 Star. The MAK exceeds my other pellet grills and gives me more of a smoke profile than the others. I don’t foresee going to any other pellet grill. I had a WSM which I hooked up to a blower. It did a great job and gave more of a smoke profile than my pellet grill. The only reason I sold it was I wanted more meat capacity and purchased a LSG vertical cabinet smoker which I hook up to a Flame Boss controller. I sleep like a baby with my controllers. Luckily, never had a power failure in the middle of the night. The last thing I will never part with is my Weber 26 in kettle. I have a rotisserie for it and a blower but primarily use it to cook over an open fire. The three serve all my needs, depending on what I’m cooking. The LSG and MAK are not cheap but I am very happy with them and don’t envision making any changes. They will likely out live me. If anything fails on a pellet grill it’s usually the hot rod. Never ever let moisture get in the pellet hopper or the pellets can get like concrete in the auger. If this happens, you will regret it. I purchased a custom made cover that I use religiously. I’ve been playing with a griddle on my indoor cooktop and have been eyeing a Blackstone but I try to keep my weight steady and that could destroy any discipline I have left.

Thank you for your insight. When you say LSG vertical cabinet are you talking about the insulated vertical smoker or the the vertical cabinet offset? Also, how would you rate the smoke profile of all of the different smokers you have used?

In my humble opinion, the WSM for around $300-$450 (depending on size), is an all time great product. I’d suggest getting one to try regardless if you wind up getting a pellet grill or not. It will give you the chance to work with charcoal and wood, and can really open the door to a whole other side of this bbq game we play. You may decide you like it or love it like so many others, and if you don’t, you can easily sell it and not loose that much money in the process. The best thing is, there are no electronics to maintain, and they are built to last. If you maintain them, they can last a lifetime with maybe replacing a few wear parts like the charcoal grate.

The Daniel Boone is also a good recommendation for a pellet grill. No, it’s not a MAK (seems like every thread about pellet grills always leads to a recommendation for a MAK, or becomes a MAK commercial), but it’s a good grill and costs a fraction of the amount. There are others that are decent too in this range, but the Green Mountain or possibly the Camp Chef Woodwind would be where I would go if I decided to go that route, and didn’t want to go to a high end expensive product out the gate.

Now, the previously mentioned insulated vertical cabinet smokers, are what a lot of WSM users progress too. They have a similar use and taste profile as the WSM, but make it easier to use, clean, maintain and increase (sometimes greatly) the usable food cooking surface area. Now an experienced WSM user can get every bit the flavor as an insulated cabinet user can get, but the ease and cooking space is better on an insulated cabinet. Something like a Humphrey’s weekender or long weekender are popular and not super expensive options for an insulated cooker albeit both are over 1k.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have a WSM, Weber Performer, PK360, and a Weber Smokefire. I rarely use the WSM anymore. It does produce good smoke flavor, but it's by far the least convenient to use of any cooker I have. A kettle with a slow and sear is a pretty versatile option. i think with any pellet cooker if you want good smoke flavor you have to cook low and slow. I did a brisket recently following Malcolm Reed's pellet grill recipe and it had as much smoke as anything I had done on my WSM in the past.

I have no problem getting a good smoke flavor from either of my inexpensive Pit Boss pellet grills. They are a lot easier to use and clean than any charcoal cooker I have ever used. I can grill, smoke, sear, bake and whatever with them.

Another option that would be less expensive is to look on craigslist or fb marketplace for a WSM. Too bad you weren't closer I would give you a good deal on an 18" WSM.

LSG insulated vertical cabinet smoker. It is heavy but the industrial wheels make it easy to move if it’s on level ground. As for smoke flavor... WSM and LSG about same. You can add as many wood chunks to charcoal as you want. The MAK isn’t too far behind in smoke flavor and I have never felt it to be lacking in taste. I have not owned a stick burner as I don’t want to be up at night tending the fire.

Looking at your price line of $1000, I would go with a WSM 1st and learn it. True smoked BBQ just tastes better with real wood chunks than pellets. Of course stick burners are the best. I'm a back yard guy though. Heck if you found out a WSM was not for you, you could still get a decent pellet grill in your price range.

Check out the forms on this site. All things WSM. https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Good Luck!

Back