MAK 2 Star or RECTEQ 700 or ?...again

JBirdP

Reaction score
Well, long time looker first time poster.

After a very long process I have decided after long last (I think) a pellet grill instead of a stick burner. I currently own a PK360 (Bought because of this site and love it) and want a smoker and decide (I think)between an MAK2 or a Recteq 700 or possibly a Traeger Timberline 850. I live midwest and temp is an issue in winter. I debated long and hard on getting a Shirley patio model 24 X 36 (still might in future).

A lot of Traeger haters but I have a few friends that love them along with Recteq. Don't know one person with a MAK2 but sure seems like they are liked on this site.

Money is the last variable but still one.

I know a little vague but thought I would get updated opinions after Thanksgiving cooks. Thanks in advance for any input.

JBirdP

Definitely mak out of those options. Without hesitation.

First, welcome to the Brethren and glad you decided to jump in! :)

If you’ve been lurking for anytime, you probably already know that I am nuts about MAK Grills. That being said, I’ll also be the first to say they are not for everyone.

Soooo, what are YOUR biggest priorities in a pellet grill?

Last edited:
Robb,

Thanks for the response. I want good a good smoker/cooker that is reliable. I am not against "babysitting" but I like a little other than just BBQ. I am a little across the board as far as cooking/BBQ.

I have also looked at YS640's and well, you name it. I am pretty open to whatever but reading and lurking I feel that the aforementioned are my best options for my priorities.

I like grilling/bbq/cooking and being outside and enjoying the time.

Robb,

Thanks for the response. I want good a good smoker/cooker that is reliable. I am not against "babysitting" but I like a little other than just BBQ. I am a little across the board as far as cooking/BBQ.

I have also looked at YS640's and well, you name it. I am pretty open to whatever but reading and lurking I feel that the aforementioned are my best options for my priorities.

I like grilling/bbq/cooking and being outside and enjoying the time.

Assuming you buy a pellet cooker, will you be grilling on it in addition to smoking? I see you like grilling, but you also mentioned you already have a PK... so just curious if grilling with the pellet cooker is important.

Also...

How many mouths do you feed on a regular basis, and do you enjoy entertaining?

Are you looking for maximum smoke output from a pellet grill? Or is that not super important?

Is US made important, or is overseas cool?

Do you want stainless construction, or do you prefer paint/powder coated?

Just a few more ?’s to hopefully help a bit :)

I’m admittedly biased, but MAK all the way ...

Not only is it a superior cooker, but the customer service and the warranty simply cannot be beat.

BF, thanks for the response and here goes:

*Grilling is not important for this cooker, the PK360 for me is the bomb.

*3 of us all the time as far as cooking for and occasional up to 7-10 (rarely).

*Nice smoke flavor is important but we can live with not "too smokey"...
so I am told ( Wife/boss)

*USA ~ 100% important in my purchases but not always available / subjective.

*Powder coated is fine (Cook over covered porch of shed) but SS is okay too, either works.

I’m admittedly biased, but MAK all the way ...

Not only is it a superior cooker, but the customer service and the warranty simply cannot be beat.

Yep, I emailed them on Thanksgiving eve after 5pm and they responded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome to posting. Great first thread. I do have a rec tec 680 and really like it and the customer service. I have the least amount of experience with a stick burner. I have been curious lately how the smoke profile compares to from Mak to Rec Tec, which it sounds like what you might be asking as well. I just didn't have the means for a Mak. As for the Shirley I agree. Always want what you don't have as well as being intrigued by stick burners :-D

Traeger’s aren’t bad, they just aren’t a great bang for the buck anymore IMO. The Recteqs are better quality for similar money. Solid, heavy duty grills with great support. I have no doubt that Mak is better yet, but its at a premium I have not yet been willing to pay. I occasionally push the capacity limits on my Recteq 680 which would mean I really would want a MAC3. That’s a big price difference, even if I compare it to the much larger BFG.

jzadski,

Agreed, I am curious of the smoke profile contrast of both. I am past the "what should I buy". Just wanting opinions, and all things being equal I'm not sure. I like the double wall construction of the Traeger creating an additional insulation barrier but not sure that is a deal breaker. Maybe a cheaper RecTeq and then Shirley is better...not sure.

I didn't want to get into the Wi-Fi "stuff" but that is important to me. I think that's why I really like the Shirley 24X36 as I am truly a simpleton but I think I am better served getting a pellet smoker first and then a Shirley this summer, I appreciate your input.

Forgot to mention...I am in Michigan so I know what you mean about the cold. The 680 runs great in the cold. I am fortunate to have my smokers inside. Made a garage addition in the past so that's where it sets. WSMs in rubber maid shed. I simply use one or two towels to help insulate when it's super cold and windy. Works very well.

My honest opinion... because of your PK 360, I think a MAK 1 Star would be perfect for you as your primary smoker based on your wants/needs/situation.

-Built in the US and backed with a lifetime warranty by a fantastic company.

-Super thick high temp powder coating over aluminized steel. That means no rust even down the road if you happen to have a few chips or dings.

-Insane smoke production, but never acrid or to heavy.

-Will easily feed the number of mouths you cook for and then some.

-Will handle your cold weather cooking needs no problem.

You mentioned the Traeger Timberline. I have had a few MAK’s and happened to sell my 2017 2 Star to a fellow Brethren/Traeger Timberline owner. I posted this a couple of years ago. You might find this helpful...

——————————————————-

So, as some of you know, a couple of months ago I decided to order the 2019 version of the MAK 2 Star. As part of "the plan" I put my 2017 2 Star up for sale. Not being out to gouge anyone, I attracted a buyer from 9 hours away. We set a day/time... he made a hotel reservation... he and his wife drove from SoCal to NorCal on a Friday... stayed overnight... picked up the MAK early Saturday morning... spent the day putzing around in the Sacramento area... and returned home Saturday night. What some guys/gals will do for a good deal... lol.

We spent probably close to an hour chit-chatting the morning he came over to pick up his new 2 Star. During our coversation, I discovered a few things:

1) His acquisition of my MAK put him at a total of 11 backyard cookers. From a pellet grill, to a stick burner, to a Santa Maria style grill, to a you-name-it... he already had ALL of his bases covered.

2) Although he's heard plenty of positive talk regarding MAK Grills, he's never seen one, nor has he ever had food from one.

3) He is not new to pellet grills, and currently owns a Traeger Timberline 1300 which he really likes!

4) He doesn't want 2 pellet grills sitting in his backyard.

5) He told me that the only reason he had decided to make the 18ish hour roundtrip to buy the MAK was to satisfy his curiousity. His plan was to return home and begin doing a series of side-by-side comparisons... MAK 2 Star vs Traeger Timberline. The winner stays, the loser is put up for sale. His plan was to put them head-to-head over this upcoming summer and then list the loser.

At the end of our conversation, I helped him load the MAK into his truck and watched him drive away.

Since that day, he has done 2 side-by-sides:

1) Chicken thighs, done indirect at 375. The results were a tie with no discernable difference. Both cookers produced a fantastic end result. That said, he put the MAK as the winner because of the shorter pre-heat time. MAK was cruising at 375 within 18 minutes. The Timberline 1300 took 42 minutes.

2) Not a side-by-side, but he also wanted to see what the grilling power of the 2 Star was like. With the sale of the MAK, I included 2 of MAK's sear grates. He used the sear grates to grill burgers and reported back that he was very impressed!

3) After his chicken thigh experience, his next side-by-side was a low-n-slow St. Louis rib cook. One slab of ribs on each smoker... and each slab prepared the same. At the conclusion of the experiment, these were his words. "Both racks had the same basic flavor (same rub). Timberline smoke profile was subtle and clean. MAK smoke profile blew me away, very pronounced more so than my clean running stick burner. May even need to work on dialing it back some with different pellets and/or higher temps."

I saw pictures of both slabs of ribs, and I was actually surprised myself to see the difference in color alone. The MAK ribs looked like slow smoked ribs should whereas the Timberline ribs had more of a baked look to them.

So here we are in May, with this new MAK owners side-by-side comparisons just getting underway... and here is what he said last night. "I plan on a butt maybe next week, but no further testing is required. My mind is made up! The MAK is a better cooker in every way minus capacity." We talked about the capacity comment and how the MAK is deceptively LARGE! He's gonna be fine [emoji846]

His final parting comment last night... "the Timberline to be listed soon!"

Boy, that did't take long :)

I have an RT-680 as well, and really enjoy it. It's been going strong for over 7 years and the Rec-Tec/Recteq folks have always been great. It only gets used for low and slow, though - she's never been north of 325. That's probably just my hang-up, and because I've always had the kettle and gasser nearby (and they get to temp faster than my RT). Like you and Joe, I'm very interested in the difference between RT, MAK, and even the Weber SmokeFire 2.0. When it comes time to replace the 680, I'll probably look at all 3.

If you like the double-wall construction of the Traeger, you might look at Grilla. They have that, too, and their customer service is said to be on-par with Recteq. And I think they are in the same ballpark for price.

My honest opinion... because of your PK 360, I think a MAK 1 Star would be perfect for you as your primary smoker based on your wants/needs/situation.

-Built in the US and backed with a lifetime warranty by a fantastic company.

-Super thick high temp powder coating over aluminized steel. That means no rust even down the road if you happen to have a few chips or dings.

-Insane smoke production, but never acrid or to heavy.

-Will easily feed the number of mouths you cook for and then some.

-Will handle your cold weather cooking needs no problem.

You mentioned the Traeger Timberline. I have had a few MAK’s and happened to sell my 2017 2 Star to a fellow Brethren/Traeger Timberline owner. I posted this a couple of years ago. You might find this helpful...

——————————————————-

So, as some of you know, a couple of months ago I decided to order the 2019 version of the MAK 2 Star. As part of "the plan" I put my 2017 2 Star up for sale. Not being out to gouge anyone, I attracted a buyer from 9 hours away. We set a day/time... he made a hotel reservation... he and his wife drove from SoCal to NorCal on a Friday... stayed overnight... picked up the MAK early Saturday morning... spent the day putzing around in the Sacramento area... and returned home Saturday night. What some guys/gals will do for a good deal... lol.

We spent probably close to an hour chit-chatting the morning he came over to pick up his new 2 Star. During our coversation, I discovered a few things:

1) His acquisition of my MAK put him at a total of 11 backyard cookers. From a pellet grill, to a stick burner, to a Santa Maria style grill, to a you-name-it... he already had ALL of his bases covered.

2) Although he's heard plenty of positive talk regarding MAK Grills, he's never seen one, nor has he ever had food from one.

3) He is not new to pellet grills, and currently owns a Traeger Timberline 1300 which he really likes!

4) He doesn't want 2 pellet grills sitting in his backyard.

5) He told me that the only reason he had decided to make the 18ish hour roundtrip to buy the MAK was to satisfy his curiousity. His plan was to return home and begin doing a series of side-by-side comparisons... MAK 2 Star vs Traeger Timberline. The winner stays, the loser is put up for sale. His plan was to put them head-to-head over this upcoming summer and then list the loser.

At the end of our conversation, I helped him load the MAK into his truck and watched him drive away.

Since that day, he has done 2 side-by-sides:

1) Chicken thighs, done indirect at 375. The results were a tie with no discernable difference. Both cookers produced a fantastic end result. That said, he put the MAK as the winner because of the shorter pre-heat time. MAK was cruising at 375 within 18 minutes. The Timberline 1300 took 42 minutes.

2) Not a side-by-side, but he also wanted to see what the grilling power of the 2 Star was like. With the sale of the MAK, I included 2 of MAK's sear grates. He used the sear grates to grill burgers and reported back that he was very impressed!

3) After his chicken thigh experience, his next side-by-side was a low-n-slow St. Louis rib cook. One slab of ribs on each smoker... and each slab prepared the same. At the conclusion of the experiment, these were his words. "Both racks had the same basic flavor (same rub). Timberline smoke profile was subtle and clean. MAK smoke profile blew me away, very pronounced more so than my clean running stick burner. May even need to work on dialing it back some with different pellets and/or higher temps."

I saw pictures of both slabs of ribs, and I was actually surprised myself to see the difference in color alone. The MAK ribs looked like slow smoked ribs should whereas the Timberline ribs had more of a baked look to them.

So here we are in May, with this new MAK owners side-by-side comparisons just getting underway... and here is what he said last night. "I plan on a butt maybe next week, but no further testing is required. My mind is made up! The MAK is a better cooker in every way minus capacity." We talked about the capacity comment and how the MAK is deceptively LARGE! He's gonna be fine [emoji846]

His final parting comment last night... "the Timberline to be listed soon!"

Boy, that did't take long :)

after I bought it I did this side by side with a timberline, get a MAK
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271875

Back