Smoked bologna?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the log. Buy the whole thing from behind the deli? How much is a whole log? I want to do a grilled smoked bologna sammich.

Had a fried bologna and egg sandwich on brioche this morning. Carolina Pride since it's thicker than Oscar Mayer.
d580b4d4f1bd5bbd673f0d5d9fe78b61.jpg

I get it at Walmart...1lb chunk.

Your sammy looks delicious...like the runny yolk.

I just go to the deli counter at my grocery store (Kroger or Albertsons), find the varieties of bologna, point to one, hold up my fingers about 6-8" inches apart and say "cut me a chunk YAY-big, wrap it up whole, and do NOT slice it, please?". Then it's off to the adult beverage section. :razz:

Walmart or Neighborhood Market, should have a 6 lb Bar S log, if not, go to the deli counter at either store and look for Wunderbar (itā€™s the wagu of bologna I swear) bologna and have them cut you a big chunk!

My first attempt at it was the Bar S brand from Walmart. NEVER touching that cheap crap again, it was nasty. Next time I'll go to the deli counter and get something good.

Good meat markets will carry good bologna too.

Let me suggest Petit Jean bologna if you can find it. It's from a smaller regional packer based in Arkansas and the best I've ever found.

Let me also suggest a method I don't normally see recommended. Slice the log down it's length so you wind up with two D shaped logs when viewed from the end. Then add at least one score down the middle of the rounded portion. That way you expose maximum surface for the smoke to penetrate and the small score relieves stress so your slices will not want to curl up when you fry them. Cook them as slow as you can for as long as you can for smoke penetration. The skin may get tough but it will soften the next day.

My first attempt at it was the Bar S brand from Walmart. NEVER touching that cheap crap again, it was nasty. Next time I'll go to the deli counter and get something good.

Go to deli counter and ask for Lebanon bologna.

There is no substitute

Restaurant Depot, 10lb all beef $4.50 a lb. Cut in half and seal up. Cook 1 or 2 5lb chubs. I have some ready to go soon.

• Thanks
Reactions: scp
I slice in thick slices, cover with rub and into the fridge overnight, then cook. Hard to get smoke or flavor to penetrate, but this way every piece is like an end piece.

Kowalski Garlic is my #1 but, not sure how far past MI they distribute or Boarshead Garlic #2 also more expensive

Back