MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #16
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

That's a really cruddy thing to see, but yeah I think it will still cook well enough. I'd wager that you will still be able to cook some amazing food on that smoker, but you'll likely need to rotate racks every so often. I'd bet that without that rear wall being intact you'll have hot spots rather than an even cooking temp on your grates.

I hope it works out.

Old 12-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #17
11earl
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : HJ

Hot spots... well that's swell, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.
11earl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #18
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11earl View Post
Hot spots... well that's swell, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.
I'm reading this response and have no idea whether or not it's 100% pure sarcasm. Either way good luck with the cooker. haha

Old 12-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #19
11earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I'm reading this response and have no idea whether or not it's 100% pure sarcasm. Either way good luck with the cooker. haha
Oh man, no sarcasm at all - I apologize if it came off that way! I'm totally bummed out, but am always appreciative of anyone who takes the time to answer my silly questions

Old 05-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #20
PorkDork

Hey there,

I was curious as to how its going with your used BWS? I just purchased a used Party G2 off facebook marketplace from a retired competition team. Lite Blue BBQ out of Woodburn, OR. It had definitely seen some use, but I'm really excited to break it in this weekend. Would love to know what you've learned so far, was it a good purchase for you? Did you decide to paint? How's the Q?!

Jesse
PorkDork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #21
11earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkDork View Post
Hey there,

I was curious as to how its going with your used BWS? I just purchased a used Party G2 off facebook marketplace from a retired competition team. Lite Blue BBQ out of Woodburn, OR. It had definitely seen some use, but I'm really excited to break it in this weekend. Would love to know what you've learned so far, was it a good purchase for you? Did you decide to paint? How's the Q?!

Jesse
Hi - it was a completely fail. The seller represented that only the ash tray was rusted; er no. It was full of ash, and as I vaccummed out the inside (after purchasing it) I found pretty much the entire fire box rusted out. So, there was no inner and outer walls, meaning there would be no way for the smoke to roll up the inside walls then back down through the rear outlet. Also, the rack supports were rusted out.

SOOO, lesson learned. If you buy used, you best check that puppy out with a flashlight, tools, etc.

I was so turned off from the potential to inherit someone else's problem that I bought a new Humphrey Pint.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:26 AM   #22
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Contact the seller and tell him the local Sheriff suggested he return half the purchase price since you only ended up with half of a cooker..
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #23
11earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Contact the seller and tell him the local Sheriff suggested he return half the purchase price since you only ended up with half of a cooker..
Ed
Was very tempted to drive back with the disassembled smoker and dump it in their driveway. But I unhappily forced myself to pretend to be mature and wrote it off to a lesson learned that I shared with my boys and... maybe someone here :-).

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #24
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Hi - it was a completely fail. The seller represented that only the ash tray was rusted; er no. It was full of ash, and as I vaccummed out the inside (after purchasing it) I found pretty much the entire fire box rusted out. So, there was no inner and outer walls, meaning there would be no way for the smoke to roll up the inside walls then back down through the rear outlet. Also, the rack supports were rusted out.

SOOO, lesson learned. If you buy used, you best check that puppy out with a flashlight, tools, etc.

I was so turned off from the potential to inherit someone else's problem that I bought a new Humphrey Pint.
Damn, really sorry to hear this. At least the lesson was relatively cheap, so hopefully that was some kind of silver lining. How's the Humphrey Pint working out for you?

Old 05-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #25
11earl

Quote:
Damn, really sorry to hear this. At least the lesson was relatively cheap, so hopefully that was some kind of silver lining. How's the Humphrey Pint working out for you?
The Pint appears to be an amazing smoker. I'm learning to use it without a temp regulator, and it is a much different beast than my WSM!

Old 05-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #26
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The Pint appears to be an amazing smoker. I'm learning to use it without a temp regulator, and it is a much different beast than my WSM!
I never used a Humphreys cooker, but I did end up with a Spicewine Ironworks Large model insulated cabinet smoker for a couple of years. It took me quite a few cooks to get it running properly, but I always used a fan system. Once I got the hang of how to stack all the charcoal + wood chunks I was able to churn out thin, blue smoke for a good 15 hour cook with little to no issues. Once I got to that point the food I was cooking it was super close to the same aroma / smoke I was getting on my offset smoker.

Good luck with your Pint and I'm sure you'll get it dialed in pretty soon.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:39 PM   #27
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
Was very tempted to drive back with the disassembled smoker and dump it in their driveway. But I unhappily forced myself to pretend to be mature and wrote it off to a lesson learned that I shared with my boys and... maybe someone here :-).

Maybe you can repurpose as a holder/warmer?
The Stable: Weber Kettle 22.5 | Weber Genesis II | WSM 18.5" | Camp Chef DLX 24 | Blackstone ProSeries 36" Griddle | Backwoods Chubby G3 | Big Chief front loader | Oklahoma Joe Highland | LSG 30” Cabinet offset
snadamo is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:46 AM   #28
11earl

Quote:
I never used a Humphreys cooker, but I did end up with a Spicewine Ironworks Large model insulated cabinet smoker for a couple of years. It took me quite a few cooks to get it running properly, but I always used a fan system. Once I got the hang of how to stack all the charcoal + wood chunks I was able to churn out thin, blue smoke for a good 15 hour cook with little to no issues. Once I got to that point the food I was cooking it was super close to the same aroma / smoke I was getting on my offset smoker.

Good luck with your Pint and I'm sure you'll get it dialed in pretty soon.
Thank you! I'll write up my experience in a long overdue seperate post.

Tags
backwoods, Chubby