MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #16
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Can you cool anything besides pizza in the Roccbox?

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #17
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSM18Lang48 View Post
My recommendation is to purchase a used kettle grill, cut a hole in the lid, and get a pizza stone. Fuel it with charcoal and some hard wood. BAM

Or...a kettle grill with the Pizza Kettle kit - DOUBLE BAM!

Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #18
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post
Or...a kettle grill with the Pizza Kettle kit - DOUBLE BAM!
I had the deluxe Kettle Pizza with the baking steel and everything. It’s nowhere close to my Ooni Koda in terms of effortlessly turning out great pies.
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Oh really? Bummer I was hoping it would be close. Were the pizzas decent at least?

Old 05-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #20
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

So I use my hasty bake and several on the FB group have as well. We cook the pizza on a wire mesh rack for around 8 minutes. Then we use the deflector shield and put it below the coals and put the pizza on that. Since the pizza is below the coals it basically broils/chars the pizza. It’s amazing.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #21
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
So I use my hasty bake and several on the FB group have as well. We cook the pizza on a wire mesh rack for around 8 minutes. Then we use the deflector shield and put it below the coals and put the pizza on that. Since the pizza is below the coals it basically broils/chars the pizza. It’s amazing.

You mean just on a gas grill or is it a pellet grill?

Old 05-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Oh really? Bummer I was hoping it would be close. Were the pizzas decent at least?
I found it was really hard to get consistent heat on the stone and over the pie. Pizzas would turn out burned on top and raw underneath. Also, I’ve read on many sites that the heat where wood ovens operate is so high (850F+) that it contributes no flavor. It’s just a heat source at that point. I find the stability and ease of the Koda (gas) to make pizza night much easier and enjoyable. I can focus on the pies and turning them at the right time vs making sure my heat is consistent.
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker

Old 05-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #23
allenb12
Got Wood.

I have a Pizzacraft PizzaQue. Works good for me. $62.00 new in the box off ebay couple of years ago.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #24
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
I have a Pizzacraft PizzaQue. Works good for me. $62.00 new in the box off ebay couple of years ago.
I've seen those too, the pizzas that come out of them look pretty legit. They don't make them anymore, so the price has doubled.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #25
WSM18Lang48
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rich

I end up stacking the charcoal and wood in a C pattern opposite the lid opening and keeping the stone close to the lid opening. The 26 in weber kettle works great for this. I make sure to preheat the stone 15 - 20 min and I aim for temps of 800+ deg F. Lid vent closed and bottom vents wide open. The cook time is about 6-8 min. I find that letting the dough sit in the fridge for 2 - 3 days makes the result so much better the just one day.
Weber Genesis 300 Gasser
18.5 WSM under new ownership
WSM18Lang48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #26
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

Don't know about the ooni or even the Q. I just cut a sufficient hole in my extra 22" Kettle lid and let it rip. The only thing is that it will take 8-10 minutes to turn out a pie. I don't mind that, they turn out perfect and none of it is burned. Best of all, it cost me next to nothing and everyone loves the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ribs 1.jpg (56.1 KB, 187 views)
halfcocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #27
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

Ooni Koda will hit stone temp of 900F. At that temp, pizzas are done in 60-90 secs. You definitely need to watch it and turn. My wife and kids make the pizzas and then bring them out on another wood peel (I have 2). I launch with the wood and turn with the aluminum one. We typically make a few 10-12” pies and they’re done quick. For pizzas with more toppings, I will sometimes “roof them”, hold them up with the peel toward the Koda ceiling/roof to char the toppings. Takes seconds at that heat.
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker

Old 05-25-2020, 12:35 AM   #28
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSM18Lang48 View Post
I end up stacking the charcoal and wood in a C pattern opposite the lid opening and keeping the stone close to the lid opening. The 26 in weber kettle works great for this. I make sure to preheat the stone 15 - 20 min and I aim for temps of 800+ deg F. Lid vent closed and bottom vents wide open. The cook time is about 6-8 min. I find that letting the dough sit in the fridge for 2 - 3 days makes the result so much better the just one day.

Which one do you have?

Old 05-25-2020, 01:57 AM   #29
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Can you cool anything besides pizza in the Roccbox?
I use it as a salamander or to do steaks on my cast iron. That top sear does wonders! And it comes with propane or a wood chunk attachment. I use propane most days. Turn it on while I prep. 900+ in thirty minutes.

And available at William Sonoma.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #30
WSM18Lang48
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Which one do you have?
Weber 26 in kettle
Weber Genesis 300 Gasser
18.5 WSM under new ownership
WSM18Lang48 is offline   Reply With Quote