Pork shoulder ideas

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Morning guys!
My neighborhood is having a bbq for Memorial Day. I will be smoking two Boston butts and a few racks of ribs. My neighbor insisted on bringing me a pork shoulder to cook as well, but I’ve never cooked a shoulder. Is there any difference as far as prep or cooking? Should I just throw it on with the butts and season/cook the same way?
From my reading it seems that the shoulder is not as fatty and better for roasts...but that hardly seems like something I want to try out for the first time to give to other people.
Any advice is welcome and very much appreciated!

Eli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are worried about it being leaner try injecting with something like apple juice and cider vinegar.

Inject it if you can. It will behave just like a butt, it just isn't quite as tasty. After you pull it I would totally hit it with a liberal amount of rub.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

yeah, I thought a butt was just part of the shoulder; the picnic being the other part...so, he's bringing you the entire shoulder?

So, it turns out he actually had another butt. It just says “pork shoulder butt” or something. But it looks identical to the other two I have so I’m just rolling them all per usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell him he threw you a curve ball with that fancy pork shoulder and because of your high skill level you hope it tastes good as yours.
Ed

Back